Goalie Equipment Quality Thoughts

Awgoalie164

Ya. The chesty was a Ritual G3 intermediate. Good quality but horrible protection. I think I’m gonna go bauer or Brian’s. Brains doesn’t make a lower end model and I can’t afford to put about 3K to new equipment that won’t last me more than 2-4 years at least. I think I’m just gonna go with a stock Bauer pad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can afford it... I'll pretty much guarantee no stingers with the Warrior G4 Pro unit... especially in the arms. Can't really speak to the other models they manufacture as the last traditional C/A I owned was a Nike Bauer One95... good unit, but did get the odd stinger on the cuff below the elbow. 

Pro-Nike-Bauer-Supreme-Goalie-One-95-Chest.jpg

I only have about a dozen games in the R/GT pro chesty but so far no pains anywhere. Impressively light and mobile compared to ccm and Bauer units I've had. Has enough feel to know where the puck is but beefy enough not to be painful. This will most likely change as the unit breaks in more but I don't believe that I'll need to replace this due to stingers...Time will tell though.

4 hours ago, old but slow said:

I only have about a dozen games in the R/GT pro chesty but so far no pains anywhere. Impressively light and mobile compared to ccm and Bauer units I've had. Has enough feel to know where the puck is but beefy enough not to be painful. This will most likely change as the unit breaks in more but I don't believe that I'll need to replace this due to stingers...Time will tell though.

Ya idk about warrior anymore 

On 3/16/2018 at 9:57 AM, MTH said:

We'll reinstate your man card too.*

*(this is in fun - not meant to hurt any feelings)

Pffft – like I lost that the day I bought a wheeled bag. I’m married so that puppy went right into the deepest recessed of my wife’s purse 30 years ago now.

MTH – no worries – It’ll take a lot more than that to hurt this crusty old curmudgeon’s feelings

Hmm – crusty old curmudgeon: sounds like the lunch special at the I-5 truck stop. “Let’s see, I’ll have the crusty curmudgeon sandwich, but I am can't chose between the side of fetid salad and the stagnation soup

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 12:48 PM, oncogene said:

Just thinking if the disability issues are due to the intermediate sizing, esp when OP plays like 7 times a wwek. Once moving up to senior and pro it may be better perhaps..

Issues he's faced are almost entirely due to using INT gear.

I know I'm a little late to the game, but I have worn a set of Reebok Premier III's since 2009. The first three years I wore them, I was playing anywhere from five to six times a week (three practices and two to three games most weekends) playing ACHA D2 for my alma mater, which was a top-ten team every year. The pads held up great during that time, and the longevity of the gloves were never an issue because I had a game and practice set. Although the set sat dormant for about two years after that, I have continued to use the set playing in men's leagues over the last four years, and it is still holding up well, minus the normal wear and tear. The only pieces I've had to replace are boot straps, the elastic knee straps on both pads, and both blocker palms (which were naturally shredded). I could easily continue using the set for years to come (especially if I have some of the nylon on the leg channel and the jenpro on the knee blocks repaired), but I will likely be upgrading to CCM Premier II's simply because of technological advancements over the last nine years (lighter, thinner pads).

Having worn both Vaughn and Reebok pads, I will note that stiffer pads (e.g., Reebok/CCM Premiers) last much longer than more flexible pads (e.g., Vaughn Velocity).

On 3/19/2018 at 2:48 PM, oncogene said:

Just thinking if the disability issues are due to the intermediate sizing, esp when OP plays like 7 times a wwek. Once moving up to senior and pro it may be better perhaps..

Ya I’m moving up to all senior gear at the moment

On 4/4/2018 at 8:58 PM, BauerHockey47 said:

I know I'm a little late to the game, but I have worn a set of Reebok Premier III's since 2009. The first three years I wore them, I was playing anywhere from five to six times a week (three practices and two to three games most weekends) playing ACHA D2 for my alma mater, which was a top-ten team every year. The pads held up great during that time, and the longevity of the gloves were never an issue because I had a game and practice set. Although the set sat dormant for about two years after that, I have continued to use the set playing in men's leagues over the last four years, and it is still holding up well, minus the normal wear and tear. The only pieces I've had to replace are boot straps, the elastic knee straps on both pads, and both blocker palms (which were naturally shredded). I could easily continue using the set for years to come (especially if I have some of the nylon on the leg channel and the jenpro on the knee blocks repaired), but I will likely be upgrading to CCM Premier II's simply because of technological advancements over the last nine years (lighter, thinner pads).

Having worn both Vaughn and Reebok pads, I will note that stiffer pads (e.g., Reebok/CCM Premiers) last much longer than more flexible pads (e.g., Vaughn Velocity).

I’m gonna be going with Bauer but thank you

I was in passau for the past few years,  just the catcher that I didn't used because the 90 degree don't fit me. 

I just bought Bauer X900 Small (my passau was 32+3) and I'm very surprise how good this is. 

the glove 60 degree is near perfect, the blocker is over 200g lighter than my passau and the pads are 1.5 pounds lighter (both total) 

OP: What level of hockey do you play? At the senior price point it will be hard to have gear last past a year if you're going 5-7 times a week. Senior gear is just that. It's made for moderate use at a moderate level. 

I find Bauer's current offerings SHIT in terms of durability. THey perform great, but you have to remember, that performance>durability. You can't have both without sacrificing something in return. At this moment, everyone I know who's had the 1S and Vapour has had the same complaints of where everything falls apart. The 1S chesty uses shit exterior materials and the nylon starts ripping apart. 

There's a local guy that plays Junior B that I know, and he said his 1S C/A falls apart in a season of use. The pads will last him 2 seasons MAYBE. And he's in the pro models.

At your price point, gear maintenance and modification is KEY. As soon as I see something starting to fray/rip, I get it fixed RIGHT AWAY. 

On 4/7/2018 at 6:49 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone with 1X line chime in... how has the durability of those been?

I’m gonna be going with a custom set of X900’s so I’m not sure what they’ll be like durability wise but hopefully I’ll get at least 2-2.5 years out of them 

On 4/7/2018 at 6:25 PM, Many said:

I was in passau for the past few years,  just the catcher that I didn't used because the 90 degree don't fit me. 

I just bought Bauer X900 Small (my passau was 32+3) and I'm very surprise how good this is. 

the glove 60 degree is near perfect, the blocker is over 200g lighter than my passau and the pads are 1.5 pounds lighter (both total) 

How do you like them?

17 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

OP: What level of hockey do you play? At the senior price point it will be hard to have gear last past a year if you're going 5-7 times a week. Senior gear is just that. It's made for moderate use at a moderate level. 

I find Bauer's current offerings SHIT in terms of durability. THey perform great, but you have to remember, that performance>durability. You can't have both without sacrificing something in return. At this moment, everyone I know who's had the 1S and Vapour has had the same complaints of where everything falls apart. The 1S chesty uses shit exterior materials and the nylon starts ripping apart. 

There's a local guy that plays Junior B that I know, and he said his 1S C/A falls apart in a season of use. The pads will last him 2 seasons MAYBE. And he's in the pro models.

At your price point, gear maintenance and modification is KEY. As soon as I see something starting to fray/rip, I get it fixed RIGHT AWAY. 

What do you think the best brand is?

3 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

Durability wise, Brian's, hands down. Even their senior offshore models are well put together. They don't skimp on materials.

Vaughn would be a close second. 

However Brian’s doesn’t have a lower end model of the Opt1k

18 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

Durability wise, Brian's, hands down. Even their senior offshore models are well put together. They don't skimp on materials.

Vaughn would be a close second. 

Having worn both, I would buy Reebok (now CCM) over Vaughn any day. My Premier sets have lasted far longer than the Vaughn set that I owned, probably because Vaughns (at least the Velocity line) were more flexible and broke down much quicker than pads of stiffer construction. I haven't used Brian's, but I will take your word for it.

19 hours ago, Awgoalie164 said:

However Brian’s doesn’t have a lower end model of the Opt1k

it's too early to. The downgraded line usually takes about a year to release. And I doubt it will have primo sliding surface, which is the biggest selling point of the pad. At that point, there's no reason to really get it. 

3 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Having worn both, I would buy Reebok (now CCM) over Vaughn any day. My Premier sets have lasted far longer than the Vaughn set that I owned, probably because Vaughns (at least the Velocity line) were more flexible and broke down much quicker than pads of stiffer construction. I haven't used Brian's, but I will take your word for it.

Depending on the style, current Vaughn pads break down much slower than before.  I noticed CCM started to cheap out on a lot of stuff on their gear these last couple years. 

On 8/4/2018 at 11:53 PM, Awgoalie164 said:

How do you like them?

I really like them ! I wanted to buy the X900 to be safe if I like bauer  but now for sure my next set is a pro bauer set for sure ( 2s or vapor ) 

Archived