Prolaces Thread

Finally got mine out on the ice for the first time tonight - like them so far, consistent rotation back to the centre (with the original Brians smart toe they often wouldn't pull the pad back to centre), and felt like they pulled the pad down a bit more securely on the skate too. Definitely an upgrade on my homemade version of shock cord + plastic hooks!

IMG_3022.jpg

Looking to mod my ProLaces to give myself some slack before I order a set of Hybrids. I'd like to get rid of the ProLcaes bridge and just use the one that is stock on the pad. I came up with a couple ideas on attaching... both of which consist of sandwiching the elastic cord between 2 knots. Which do you think will work best... 

3 Knot Version: Tight around the bridge... knot... slack loop... knot... elastic cord... knot.

567963204_PLChangeV01.jpg.74bc4d85424f67aee474a078f4b130e0.jpg

2 Knot Version: Loose around the bridge and slack loop in one... knot... elastic cord... knot.

137927445_PLChangeV02.jpg.e84c0b11e61303264db75858c68a2946.jpg

22 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Looking to mod my ProLaces to give myself some slack before I order a set of Hybrids. I'd like to get rid of the ProLcaes bridge and just use the one that is stock on the pad. I came up with a couple ideas on attaching... both of which consist of sandwiching the elastic cord between 2 knots. Which do you think will work best... 

3 Knot Version: Tight around the bridge... knot... slack loop... knot... elastic cord... knot.

567963204_PLChangeV01.jpg.74bc4d85424f67aee474a078f4b130e0.jpg

2 Knot Version: Loose around the bridge and slack loop in one... knot... elastic cord... knot.

137927445_PLChangeV02.jpg.e84c0b11e61303264db75858c68a2946.jpg

What if you just create the slack between the toe bridge of the pads and prolace bridge? The part where you're attaching it to the pads.

Just now, Kaveman42 said:

What if you just create the slack between the toe bridge of the pads and prolace bridge? The part where you're attaching it to the pads.

Certainly an option... but seems sorta needlessly complicated. I understand it's not too different than what I'm proposing... but I'm just looking to kill 2 birds here and get some slack as well as remove a bridge.

7 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Went ahead and ordered the 2” version. Can’t wait to try them out...hopefully solve the rotation issues I’m having with my Gen4s. 

Ignore my leg I’m wearing shorts 😜

AC7EAE9C-D00B-4A1C-84AF-6D3BFF590965.jpeg

Update on these:

HUGE fan of the design after trying them on the ice. Using a tapered boot, the slack is really nice as it doesn't put too much tension. Can get my skate nicely on the ice, but the shock cord comes into play when I need it to. Also keeps me connected enough to the boot, but the slack doesn't over rotate my pads like the first gen Armor model did.

The 1.5" version might be more for everyone, especially if you off-set your boot, but the 2" version gets the skate on the ice without any noticeable tension on the cord (which is my preference). I went through the first and middle holes of my Vertexx holder to accomplish this.

1 hour ago, Aquilzz said:

Update on these:

HUGE fan of the design after trying them on the ice. Using a tapered boot, the slack is really nice as it doesn't put too much tension. Can get my skate nicely on the ice, but the shock cord comes into play when I need it to. Also keeps me connected enough to the boot, but the slack doesn't over rotate my pads like the first gen Armor model did.

The 1.5" version might be more for everyone, especially if you off-set your boot, but the 2" version gets the skate on the ice without any noticeable tension on the cord (which is my preference). I went through the first and middle holes of my Vertexx holder to accomplish this.

I ordered a pair of these to try, and I'm liking your positive response so far.

I feel like a bit of slack at the toe lets the pad kick forward a couple degrees for a slightly wider flare.

I also want my pads to slightly tilt inwards in my stance, and the shock cord solutions on the market right now don't allow for that.

10 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Update on these:

Great feedback and I can say that I felt the same w/ my simple knotted version. No tension on the toe when in stance or standing... but the elastic cord comes into play when needed. Getting myself an Armor set or two... you know... just in case...

1129334882_PLChangeActual01.thumb.jpg.8d6e075cad7ff8734856e91118909fa4.jpg  1594935197_PLChangeActual02.thumb.jpg.d831858239b00b048d7a348d4e935cc4.jpg

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I ordered a pair of these to try, and I'm liking your positive response so far.

I feel like a bit of slack at the toe lets the pad kick forward a couple degrees for a slightly wider flare.

I also want my pads to slightly tilt inwards in my stance, and the shock cord solutions on the market right now don't allow for that.

Hmm, didn't really notice the pads tilting forward or the flare, but I wasn't looking for that. I'll pay more attention to it tonight. I keep my bottom elastic really tight so that could also affect it. 

And yeah I also wasn't a fan how my pads would tilt a tad to the outside in my stance with other shock cord attachments. The Brian's "Smart Cord" sort of solves this as their reinforcement material sort of gives the illusion of skate lace slack, but the Armor Hybrid is a much nicer model and design. 

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Great feedback and I can say that I felt the same w/ my simple knotted version. No tension on the toe when in stance or standing... but the elastic cord comes into play when needed. Getting myself an Armor set or two... you know... just in case...

1129334882_PLChangeActual01.thumb.jpg.8d6e075cad7ff8734856e91118909fa4.jpg  1594935197_PLChangeActual02.thumb.jpg.d831858239b00b048d7a348d4e935cc4.jpg

You should definitely go Pro Laces route! Not only is their stuff super high quality (only had one break after about 10 months of use 5x a week), but their customer service is phenomenal. 

I asked Michel to provide me with a skate lace OR a nylon lace as I don't like the screw attachment (plus the Gen4 toe bridge is slimmer so I'd have to find smaller screws) and he sent me both! I also ordered them over the weekend and they were made, shipped and delivered over the course of two business days. He used a faster Purolator method instead of standard letter mail for no extra charge. That's pretty amazing.

4 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Hmm, didn't really notice the pads tilting forward or the flare, but I wasn't looking for that. I'll pay more attention to it tonight. I keep my bottom elastic really tight so that could also affect it. 

And yeah I also wasn't a fan how my pads would tilt a tad to the outside in my stance with other shock cord attachments. The Brian's "Smart Cord" sort of solves this as their reinforcement material sort of gives the illusion of skate lace slack, but the Armor Hybrid is a much nicer model and design.  

You'll only probably get a couple of inches, but think about it from a top down view of the goalie -

Think of the natural widest flare you can get with the toe ties snug to the pad, and then push the toe of the pad forward an inch and a half or two inches off that baseline.  Factoring in the angle of the boot break, you might be able to get a couple inches per side from the puck perspective.

Typical bungee cord attachments keep the toe snug to the toe at all times, which is great for reducing tension in the hip, knee, and ankle, but doesn't have the same performance benefits as slack at the toe.

14 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

You should definitely go Pro Laces route! Not only is their stuff super high quality (only had one break after about 10 months of use 5x a week), but their customer service is phenomenal. 

I asked Michel to provide me with a skate lace OR a nylon lace as I don't like the screw attachment (plus the Gen4 toe bridge is slimmer so I'd have to find smaller screws) and he sent me both! I also ordered them over the weekend and they were made, shipped and delivered over the course of two business days. He used a faster Purolator method instead of standard letter mail for no extra charge. That's pretty amazing.

Absolutely. I've used ProLaces for a while now... just never had a need for the Armor version until I removed their bridge and used this knotted configuration.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So ordered a new sat of the armoured laces on April 30th.

Unfortunately they still haven't shown up. Contacted buddy and he was very apologetic and will be sending out a new set (free of charge) on Tuesday. When I asked what he'd like me to do if the first set somehow arrives, he told me to keep them as a back up. 

Definitely pleased with the level of service from Pro Laces.

34 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So ordered a new sat of the armoured laces on April 30th.

Unfortunately they still haven't shown up. Contacted buddy and he was very apologetic and will be sending out a new set (free of charge) on Tuesday. When I asked what he'd like me to do if the first set somehow arrives, he told me to keep them as a back up. 

Definitely pleased with the level of service from Pro Laces.

This happened to me on my first set. They got lost in the mail. After three weeks, I sent an email and I got a new pair two days later. And then the other pair miraculously showed up. Love Michel's service.

3 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

This happened to me on my first set. They got lost in the mail. After three weeks, I sent an email and I got a new pair two days later. And then the other pair miraculously showed up. Love Michel's service.

Both of my orders have had some issue. First had the elastic separate from the velcro tab shortly after receiving them and the second was lost in the mail.

Both instances Michael was on top of things and rectified the issues immediately. Great customer service.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:13 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Both of my orders have had some issue. First had the elastic separate from the velcro tab shortly after receiving them and the second was lost in the mail.

Both instances Michael was on top of things and rectified the issues immediately. Great customer service.

I am having the same issue - mine have yet to arrive several weeks past when they were expected. Michel has been very responsive and is sending out a new pair next week, which is good customer service...but better customer service would be getting people their orders correctly the first time. Hopefully this was a blip for the three of us and not part of a trend.

1 hour ago, Teezle said:

I am having the same issue - mine have yet to arrive several weeks past when they were expected. Michel has been very responsive and is sending out a new pair next week, which is good customer service...but better customer service would be getting people their orders correctly the first time. Hopefully this was a blip for the three of us and not part of a trend. 

I mean, we could always pay for the tracking label. :P

• 2 weeks later...

The replacements for the original order that never showed up arrived, but they are the regular Hybrid version and not the TGN spec that I ordered...so not great in terms of customer service experience for me. Is there a way to modify these to be like the TGN spec ones, so I don't have to deal with screws and can save wear on the toes of my skates?

IMG_6966.jpg.0381c8c8543fe254731207cf1e8f5193.jpg

2 hours ago, Teezle said:

The replacements for the original order that never showed up arrived, but they are the regular Hybrid version and not the TGN spec that I ordered...so not great in terms of customer service experience for me. Is there a way to modify these to be like the TGN spec ones, so I don't have to deal with screws and can save wear on the toes of my skates?

IMG_6966.jpg.0381c8c8543fe254731207cf1e8f5193.jpg

Yes instead of the screws use regular skate lace to attach them on, just make sure you add a drop of two of glue in the knots and you shouldn't have an issue with them at all. I did this with my last set and put the knots at the front. 

Also why don't you contact Pro Laces and just explain what happen, am sure he will fix it.

2 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Yes instead of the screws use regular skate lace to attach them on, just make sure you add a drop of two of glue in the knots and you shouldn't have an issue with them at all. I did this with my last set and put the knots at the front. 

Also why don't you contact Pro Laces and just explain what happen, am sure he will fix it.

I contacted the Pro Laces people and they sent me a picture with how to rig it up like the TGN spec ones. I put them on my pads and will test them in my game tonight.