Prolaces Thread

On 11/5/2017 at 5:31 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I find Monster Hockey pretty baffling. I know that myself, @bunnyman666, @cwarnar, and @Mroy31 all had varying issues of one type or another. I find this shocking for a company this small making simple products. 

I’m aware of Jeff’s health issues, but his business could be run better. 

The issues relate to customer service, lead times, or product durability. Yet, I find people are very loyal and almost denfensive of the products...

maybe this is a new thread on its own... but can someone elaborate why? 

Monster is not doing anything that unique that PAW, Factory Mad, WGD, or Pro Laces can’t do with a better experience 

As someone who's been waiting for my HAL's for 8 months and is extremely sick of laces (not a long story. Originally said my HAL's shipped with a tracking number only to get a message from Monster saying my Mailbox wasn't in use or some such crap.:eyeroll: Spoke on the phone gave an alternate address and nothing. I could reverse charges but at this point, I don't care. I don't want to deal with them anymore.

Others on the GSBB warned me but I figured how hard can it be to throw some cord and velcro together.

Ordered Pro laces today and I can't wait to try them.

18 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

As someone who's been waiting for my HAL's for 8 months and is extremely sick of laces (not a long story. Originally said my HAL's shipped with a tracking number only to get a message from Monster saying my Mailbox wasn't in use or some such crap.:eyeroll: Spoke on the phone gave an alternate address and nothing. I could reverse charges but at this point, I don't care. I don't want to deal with them anymore.

Others on the GSBB warned me but I figured how hard can it be to throw some cord and velcro together.

Ordered Pro laces today and I can't wait to try them.

8 months?!?!

WOW.

I am speechless.

14 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

To be fair after the third or fourth I could have tried to escalate. I just let it go. I was already incredibly stressed at the time and didn't need to add to it.

I get bothered to the point where I badger until I am satisfied.

I totally get letting it go. I wish I could find the source of his shock cord. I was so used to run around that I proactively demanded knowing when the order for several 36” sections of shock cord would be fulfilled; I was agressive, I admit! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Little update on my Prolaces order. Was quoted 7 business days shipping and that's exactly what I got, 7 days later I have a set of Prolaces sitting in my "non-working" mailbox. Very impressed. I'm also very impressed with just how substantial these appear material wise. I cannot wait to ditch the laces for my Friday skate! Amazing how excited we can get about something others would roll their eyes at. 

13 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

A Little update on my Prolaces order. Was quoted 7 business days shipping and that's exactly what I got, 7 days later I have a set of Prolaces sitting in my "non-working" mailbox. Very impressed. I'm also very impressed with just how substantial these appear material wise. I cannot wait to ditch the laces for my Friday skate! Amazing how excited we can get about something others would roll their eyes at. 

They run a first class operation, for certain!

Has anyone compared their Pro Laces to HALs? Specifically, the elastic/shock cord material? 

I have a set of RYNOs and PAW is making a set of Velcro toe bridges for me, so I’m trying to find the most durable possible shock cord for the RYNOs. I have used webbing, etc. in the past for sheathing but was hoping to avoid that if possible.

On 20/10/2017 at 12:25 PM, TheGoalNet said:

This works too... but I would recommend tying them in. It's lighter weight and does not come loose. You can tie them loose to let the prolaces move with your skate more, like a sliding toe bridge, or tie them tight so it feels like the screwed in method 

I just got my new reactor set and transferred my pro laces over using the screws.... I found that the screws where inhibiting the pads from rotating back to the front smoothly as they were getting caught up on the cowling toe ridges.  I used your lace method and they are smooth as butter now.  I highly recommend attaching the prolaces via lace or string.

On 11/23/2017 at 5:44 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

Has anyone compared their Pro Laces to HALs? Specifically, the elastic/shock cord material? 

I have a set of RYNOs and PAW is making a set of Velcro toe bridges for me, so I’m trying to find the most durable possible shock cord for the RYNOs. I have used webbing, etc. in the past for sheathing but was hoping to avoid that if possible.

I have a set of HALs from last year and ProLaces from this year, the ProLaces are thicker for sure. HAL is around 3/16" and the ProLace is about a 1/4".

ProLace on the left, HAL the right.

5a186e7cbcfe1_IMG_14491.thumb.JPG.9fbd87e7a4ea36edb41bcaa911a1c49b.JPG

IMG_1450[1].JPG

• Like 1

Ummmm, help, please. Hopefully, someone can reply sooner rather than later. So I just went to get ready to install my Prolaces on my pads and completely forgot I have a sliding toe bridge.

Is it OK if I simply install the Prolaces directly into the gap the slider sits in? I don't think they will pull through but I just want to be sure.

16 hours ago, eiznekem said:

I have a set of HALs from last year and ProLaces from this year, the ProLaces are thicker for sure. HAL is around 3/16" and the ProLace is about a 1/4".

ProLace on the left, HAL the right.

Thanks very much. That’s an advantage of the ProLaces - since you are installing their toe bridge it’s prelaced with the thick 1/4” elastic. The way HALs are installed, you are threading the elastic through your existing lace holes just like regular laces. I’ve tried using 1/4” elastic and it’s extremely difficult if not impossible to get through. Using a latch hook tool helps though. I’m going to try running 1/4” on the RYNOs. 

I ended up getting the laces installed directly onto the opening for the sliding toe bridge before my skate last night. I think the only issue I may have is that a freak shot could knock the screws through the plastic but I'm going to grab some bigger washers this week and they'll be fine.

What a revelation using laces that pull the pad directly onto my skates and yet still give the freedom of motion I had with my two inches of slack on my old skate laces. I also feel this system basically makes the bootstraps redundant. I don't see a purpose for having the bootstraps at all if the pad is already going to be so tight against my skate. I would take them off if it weren't for the fact they are sewn in and could hurt resale value.

I am very impressed. Ease of use is great as well. I like that velcro also covers over my skate lace slack so I won't have to worry about laces working their way off my boot or coming undone. I'm a believer.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2017 at 1:19 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@Pauly35or00 never used a sliding bridge, sorry 

@eiznekem - thanks for sharing!!! 

1. Which set do you like better? 

2. Have Instagram? I’d like to share your pic 

Anytime! I prefer the ProLaces personally. The thicker cord is a little more tension on the hips/knees, though I felt it is way more responsive. I also found it generally has a better construction than the HAL. But the HALs are older, not sure if they have updated since or not. Insta is mekenzieerickson!

On 11/25/2017 at 10:09 AM, Pauly35or00 said:

I ended up getting the laces installed directly onto the opening for the sliding toe bridge before my skate last night. I think the only issue I may have is that a freak shot could knock the screws through the plastic but I'm going to grab some bigger washers this week and they'll be fine.

What a revelation using laces that pull the pad directly onto my skates and yet still give the freedom of motion I had with my two inches of slack on my old skate laces. I also feel this system basically makes the bootstraps redundant. I don't see a purpose for having the bootstraps at all if the pad is already going to be so tight against my skate. I would take them off if it weren't for the fact they are sewn in and could hurt resale value.

I am very impressed. Ease of use is great as well. I like that velcro also covers over my skate lace slack so I won't have to worry about laces working their way off my boot or coming undone. I'm a believer.

Now you just need to dump the sliding toe bridge! No need for it with shock cord toe ties :)

On 11/25/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pauly35or00 said:

I dumped my heel straps as well.  I kept the buckle on there since its sewn on but the strap was removable so I got rid of it.  So much better!

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Now you just need to dump the sliding toe bridge! No need for it with shock cord toe ties :)

This.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

32 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I dumped my heel straps as well.  I kept the buckle on there since its sewn on but the strap was removable so I got rid of it.  So much better!

This.

Oh no, it's fine. I'm not using the sliders. The Prolaces are firmly screwed to the centre of the bridge. I would consider getting a new bridge but it seems unnecessary and it looks to me like Simmons doesn't use a standard length for their screw holes widthwise although I could be wrong.

As an aside how are people stopping the screws from scratching the crap out of the toe caps, I don't really care that my S190's are getting scratched up but it's a little annoying.

1 hour ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Oh no, it's fine. I'm not using the sliders. The Prolaces are firmly screwed to the centre of the bridge. I would consider getting a new bridge but it seems unnecessary and it looks to me like Simmons doesn't use a standard length for their screw holes widthwise although I could be wrong.

As an aside how are people stopping the screws from scratching the crap out of the toe caps, I don't really care that my S190's are getting scratched up but it's a little annoying.

Others are lacing them on instead of screws.

As for a new toe bridge, measure the distance for the holes and have Sara @ PAW make you a new set of toe bridges. That’s what I did on my old pads that came with a lace that went right through the holes in the pad boot itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...