Prolaces Thread

Had hal straps, switched to these. I’m NEVER going back. I had good customer service with monster hockey but the amount of times the knot would come undone was insane. I kept on having to cut the knots off which kept on making the elastic shorter and shorter to a point where I couldn’t use them anymore. Prolaces are stitched in and you will never have this problem with. I’m taking pro laces over hal straps any day 

20 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I took my boot strap off.  So much more freedom for my legs... Loved it.

Pro laces are the best toe strap option on the market today.  I can see why CCM adds them as an option 

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do it.  I dropped my when I went to Pro Laces and honestly it feels so much better.  The Pro Laces hold the pads tight enough to the foot that you really don't need the boot strap.  

I do have the bootstrap on it's loosest setting (which still has some tension). I've got two mean nothing games tomorrow and Friday. I'll experiment with that idea then.

I'm still hesitant about it lol.

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I do have the bootstrap on it's loosest setting (which still has some tension). I've got two mean nothing games tomorrow and Friday. I'll experiment with that idea then.

The warrior straps just clip on right?  Bring the straps on the bench with you and if you don't like it then put them back on during a stoppage.

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I had the same set up... So much more freedom and better pad control.

It's like the one you showed me about the calf wrap mod

1 minute ago, Puckducker said:

I moved the boot strap to behind the skate and was much happier with pad control and having the pad ride a little higher when down in the butterfly. 

Don't think I'd want to lose the strap entirely.

I was in the same boat... Leap and faith and loved it.  Won't go back

19 hours ago, Hockey1234 said:

Had hal straps, switched to these. I’m NEVER going back. I had good customer service with monster hockey but the amount of times the knot would come undone was insane. I kept on having to cut the knots off which kept on making the elastic shorter and shorter to a point where I couldn’t use them anymore. Prolaces are stitched in and you will never have this problem with. I’m taking pro laces over hal straps any day 

Monster is a joke at this point, Prolaces are better quality but if you want something similar to Hals, FixMyGear has them for about half the price and no delivery issues.  I bought my own cord on Amazon because I wanted something with more stretch and use a termination so they never pull through.

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Monster is a joke at this point, Prolaces are better quality but if you want something similar to Hals, FixMyGear has them for about half the price and no delivery issues.  I bought my own cord on Amazon because I wanted something with more stretch and use a termination so they never pull through.

Kenesky as well... The make a solid shock cord toe strap.  Not on their website but you just contact Mike or Dave.

On 9/19/2018 at 4:36 PM, cwarnar said:

I was in the same boat... Leap and faith and loved it.  Won't go back

19 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Doooooooooooo it

Played last night. Haven't ditched the boot strap, wanted to get a feel of the prolaces first before going full on crazy.

Definitely felt different. I felt less connected to my pad. There was a bit less strain on my legs, but I didn't notice any advantage over the ARS.

I'll try tonight without a boot strap. Hopefully this revelation will makes sense to me.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Played last night. Haven't ditched the boot strap, wanted to get a feel of the prolaces first before going full on crazy.

Definitely felt different. I felt less connected to my pad. There was a bit less strain on my legs, but I didn't notice any advantage over the ARS.

I'll try tonight without a boot strap. Hopefully this revelation will make sense to me.

Really?  Well I guess me going from regular laces with knots and slack to pro laces was a much bigger change/improvement than coming from the ARS.  I have no experience with those but it makes sense.  Having less strain on your legs should be reason enough not to go back to the ARS.  

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

Really?  Well I guess me going from regular laces with knots and slack to pro laces was a much bigger change/improvement than coming from the ARS.  I have no experience with those but it makes sense.  Having less strain on your legs should be reason enough not to go back to the ARS.  

Yea, I don't think I'll be going back to the ARS. Just wasn't an immediate difference.

Do you guys double loop your prolaces? Or just do the recommended fashion of one crossover?

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, I don't think I'll be going back to the ARS. Just wasn't an immediate difference.

Do you guys double loop your prolaces? Or just do the recommended fashion of one crossover?

I cross over at the toe bridge and loop through the cowling once, in the middle.  I have one80 cowlings for reference.  So I cross the bungees at the front of the skate, run them down the side of the runner, and cross in the middle opening and up to the boot to connect them.

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I cross over at the toe bridge and loop through the cowling once, in the middle.  I have one80 cowlings for reference.  So I cross the bungees at the front of the skate, run them down the side of the runner, and cross in the middle opening and up to the boot to connect them.

Yea ok. The classic toe tie technique.

That's what I did as well, that single crossover they suggest just looks like it's asking for it to become dislodged.

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's what I did as well, that single crossover they suggest just looks like it's asking for it to become dislodged.

I don't run the first crossover through the first hole in the cowling, its in the front of the skate.  I only run them through the cowling once.  Basically I lay the pad at the toe of my skates.  Before I do anything I cross the Pro Laces right at the toe bridge and then run them down the sides of my, crossing them through the middle opening in the cowling.

32 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I do a straight single cross thru the middle cutout of my cowling.  No issues in the last 4 games I've used them.

With the Prolaces being sewn in I don't see the need for the "traditional" toe tie method

Edited by cwarnar

10 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I do a straight single cross thru the middle cutout of my cowling.  No issues in the last 4 games I've used them.

With the Prolaces being sewn in I don't see the need for the "traditional" toe tie method

It's more about the potential for the toe of the skate to become dislodged and have the laces come underneath the skate.

I guess I do it for extra peace of mind knowing that I won't have any gear issues while on the ice.

Granted I've used these things once. lol

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's more about the potential for the toe of the skate to become dislodged and have the laces come underneath the skate.

I guess I do it for extra peace of mind knowing that I won't have any gear issues while on the ice.

True enough... I wore my HALS the same way.  Here is the install video, they show both my way and the one @SaveByRichter35 uses with the cross at the bridge:

Edited by cwarnar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

True enough... I wore my HALS the same way.  As a point of interest, @SaveByRichter35 is doing it the way Pro Laces recommends:

I see now. That can definitely help.

I'll try that tonight, as well as no boot strap.  If I end up sticking with this set up, I'll buy you guys a beer*

*Only redeemable in Vancouver, BC.

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I was more worried about the opposite.  The skate coming out from under the laces.