Glove Tee Topic - Single vs Double vs Anchor

dk30

51 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Your average pro uses outdated gear. The NHL actually slows down innovation 

I agree, the snap feel of a single  T is the best. The Brian’s Optik T is a great hybrid. Wide like a double T, but still has the snap 

Would you say the anchor T has the pocket like a double but the snap of a single T?

I'm in a double now.  I like the puck retention.  Anything that hits the pocket dies.  The one negative about it (as others have mentioned) is that you don't get the "snap" feeling when you've got it...so the visibility that the split provides is important.

For me the double T was originally an aesthetic thing.  I wanted one forever since I was a kid and I saw this Louisville/TPS catcher with a double T in my LHS.  I think it was either branded with a rattlesnake or I just saw the double T as like snake fangs, so my child's imagination was picturing me snapping pucks out of the air like a snake strike.  I can't find a picture of this glove online, and it may have not been branded that way at all but I made the association myself.  

I never had noticeable issues with pop outs in my single T's.  It was usually because it caught too much of my palm, or it was off the very tip and had nothing to do with pocket depth or something.  But once I got the double T on my One100 catcher, I still love the aesthetic, and the feel of the puck hitting the pocket, so I'll be sticking with that.  

16 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Thanks! That was really interesting to watch. May try my lacing like that because I get foot cramping when I tie them tight (how I like them), but was hoping my Trues on order will fit so well, that area can be tied looser. 

The True skates will wrap your foot so well you won't need them tight. The bottom 4-5 eyelets for me are just snug enough for there to be no slack.

Think about it: most skates you have to pull hard to get the boot to wrap around your foot. With true they ALREADY wrap around your foot, so no need for super tight lacing. 

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

what is an "anchor T"?

It's a Brian's T. It's basically a super thin single T that's wide at the base and then really thins out at the pocket and T. It was the stock option on the SZ3 glove as well.

brians-goalie-glove-sub-zero-3-pro.thumb.jpg.55d3ad0984e961a0cf1edefa41360753.jpg

On 3/19/2018 at 6:10 PM, dk30 said:

Would you say the anchor T has the pocket like a double but the snap of a single T?

Hi, anchor tee  person here that's never used a double T.

My first two gloves were a single tees. The only single T I ever experienced a pop-out problem with was my T6000 Legacy back when, but I think that was more of a pocket depth problem that I always had with that glove. I have never used a double T, but would eventually like to. 

I can say that I've never had a pocket retention issue with an anchor T (I attribute this to the depth of Brian's pockets as well) and that they definitely have a lot of snap to them. One of my favorite draws of the anchor is that the T does not have to break around itself when closing (like how many double Ts are set up to break between the two), this is something I don't like with singles. A second large draw is that the lacing is on the front of the T, where the puck impacts, like a double, so the puck is always hitting lace when it enters the pocket.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

I like my T's how I live my life - single

Never used a double before, so can't badmouth it, but I also have never felt the need to change from a single T. Buzzwords/phrases like "puck retention" bug me, as it feels like a calculated way to get kids to convince their parents they need a new glove. Although having more lace than T does make a pocket deeper.

Archived