Thomas Greiss Chin Cup

Max Tanzi

22 minutes ago, craig said:

Did not mean to come across as hating on Greiss or Pros Choice. Quite the contrary. I have mad respect for Dom and think he makes one of the best products in the business. I am a mediocre (at best) beer league goalie who happens to make masks as a hobby whenever I get time.Which s very rarely. I have no place telling Greiss how to wear his mask.

But it does bother me when I see a custom made mask not being worn properly (not anchored at the most important spot (giant gap at the forehead), and with the chin cup tucked under the chin and I'm assuming his chin pressed directly up against the inside of the shell). It is an issue of safety, not style. I bet it would bug the hell out of Dom too if you showed him that picture. 

I was merely making the observation that something is causing him to wear a custom made mask more "incorrectly" than an off-the-shelf, custom padded mask. I thought that was a valid observation. Maybe I'm just nit picking. 

all good dude! didnt think you were taking a shot at greiss or anything

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, craig said:

Did not mean to come across as hating on Greiss or Pros Choice. Quite the contrary. I have mad respect for Dom and think he makes one of the best products in the business. I am a mediocre (at best) beer league goalie who happens to make masks as a hobby whenever I get time.Which s very rarely. I have no place telling Greiss how to wear his mask.

But it does bother me when I see a custom made mask not being worn properly (not anchored at the most important spot (giant gap at the forehead), and with the chin cup tucked under the chin and I'm assuming his chin pressed directly up against the inside of the shell). It is an issue of safety, not style. I bet it would bug the hell out of Dom too if you showed him that picture. 

I was merely making the observation that something is causing him to wear a custom made mask more "incorrectly" than an off-the-shelf, custom padded mask. I thought that was a valid observation. Maybe I'm just nit picking. 

No worries, I too was just making observations. 

Still, I would argue that Greiss is wearing his mask the way it is designed. The face opening appears to be placed properly (top of opening 1-2 fingers above brow). It's hard to tell if the chin cup is seated properly from the photos so I can't really comment (different chin shapes, different chin cup shapes).  It does look like his sweat band sits higher in the mask than others, causing the appearance of a gap, but here again hard to tell from photos.

In my experience, it is difficult to wear a properly fitted mask without forehead contact. Especially when; a) the padding at the cheek bone seems to be applying pressure, and 2) the gap between his nose and the cage seems smaller than the apparent forehead gap.

All that being said, I agree that a mask on Greiss looks weird:P

out of curiosity, how would one go about creating a forehead gap in a properly sized mask? (honest question cause I've felt like an idiot trying to accomplish this since it was brought up)

1 hour ago, old but slow said:

how would one go about creating a forehead gap in a properly sized mask?

My guess would be just tilting it back (like Coop mentioned with the CHL guys in the 960s). This way the foam would be resting mostly on the top of the skull instead of on the temple/forehead as designed. I think cranking the top strap of the backplate all the way and loosening the bottom two would help achieve this. But I've never tried it. I always pad my masks to fit snug from temple to temple. This minimizes movement and makes things feel better balanced overall. But like you said, its all about comfort and preference (as long as safety isn't being compromised)

Out of curiosity, why would you want a gap at your forehead? Cooling?

11 hours ago, craig said:

Out of curiosity, why would you want a gap at your forehead? Cooling?

After reading earlier posts in this thread, I was curious how one would go about wearing it as such. My mask is "off the shelf" and fits fairly well. It is virtually impossible for me to wear it with a gap at the forehead. 

On 4/5/2018 at 8:29 AM, Max Tanzi said:

this was pre-game

Pregame or between periods regardless he is not on the ice, its moot.  

On 4/5/2018 at 1:18 PM, Max Tanzi said:

he uses a vaughn helmet in NY, so maybe its the way that vaughn constructs their masks

Its a Pro's Choice.

I cannot believe this thread has reached two pages lol.  There is no way there is that large of a gap between his forehead and the mask.  There must be a sweatband in there.  The bands that come with a PC mask are rather thick.  I have never used it so I cannot comment on how much it compresses with use.  I always use one of Jim's Sham Bands and even those are rather thick when new.

48 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Pregame or between periods regardless he is not on the ice, its moot.  

Its a Pro's Choice.

I cannot believe this thread has reached two pages lol.  There is no way there is that large of a gap between his forehead and the mask.  There must be a sweatband in there.  The bands that come with a PC mask are rather thick.  I have never used it so I cannot comment on how much it compresses with use.  I always use one of Jim's Sham Bands and even those are rather thick when new.

I refer you to page 1, @SaveByRichter35, wherein a chin-cup debate broke out in the middle of a more important smoking hot wife discussion.

by itself, the chin cup/bucket nonsense is really only 1 page.

I’d invite participants to revisit the more important topic, using visual aids wherever possible.

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I refer you to page 1, @SaveByRichter35, wherein a chin-cup debate broke out in the middle of a more important smoking hot wife discussion.

by itself, the chin cup/bucket nonsense is really only 1 page.

I’d invite participants to revisit the more important topic, using visual aids wherever possible.

I feel I'm half responsible for the monstrosity. I was able to resist commenting on the hot wife stuff, but when it comes to weird useless mask stuff, I just can't help myself. 

Part of me wants to close this thread and never return. A bigger part of me wants to ask @SaveByRichter35 to go put on his PC and try and tilt it back like a CHL goalie and see what happens. 

I need help. 

2 minutes ago, craig said:

I feel I'm half responsible for the monstrosity. I was able to resist commenting on the hot wife stuff, but when it comes to weird useless mask stuff, I just can't help myself. 

Part of me wants to close this thread and never return. A bigger part of me wants to ask @SaveByRichter35 to go put on his PC and try and tilt it back like a CHL goalie and see what happens. 

I need help. 

I have no idea what you mean by the CHL goalie tilt but I will absolutely try that for you when I get home from work in 5 hours.  I strap my PC pretty tight though so I know it is not going to go anywhere.

41 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have no idea what you mean by the CHL goalie tilt

This right here.

Some guys tilt 960s back so they can see around that horribly placed bar that goes right across the field of vision. When they get to the pros they switch to cat eyes but some still tilt their mask because its comfortable to them. There doesn't seem to be any other benefit. No gap in this picture though. So that theory is our the window. 

I've never seen a PC not fit super snug. Maybe he does have a massive sweatband jammed in there. I guess we'll never know. 

Brossoit_Laurent_11_12_1-1024x745.jpg

11 minutes ago, craig said:

This right here.

Some guys tilt 960s back so they can see around that horribly placed bar that goes right across the field of vision. When they get to the pros they switch to cat eyes but some still tilt their mask because its comfortable to them. There doesn't seem to be any other benefit. No gap in this picture though. So that theory is our the window. 

I've never seen a PC not fit super snug. Maybe he does have a massive sweatband jammed in there. I guess we'll never know. 

Oohhhhh ok that whole thing that Gibson does.  I know what you mean now.  We'll get to the bottom of it.  Maybe @TheGoalNet can use his IG hookups to somehow get word straight from Greiss himself.

7 hours ago, craig said:

This right here.

Brossoit_Laurent_11_12_1-1024x745.jpg

@TheGoalNet isnt he wearing the mask wrong? hes looking thru the middle bar

18 hours ago, Max Tanzi said:

@TheGoalNet isnt he wearing the mask wrong? hes looking thru the middle bar

People seem to wear 960s in one of the following ways;

1. Tilted back like mentioned above, looking through the middle of the cage to avoid the upper horizontal bar

2. Pulled down like Ben Scivens (I'm guilty of this too), in order to look above the upper horizontal bar

3. Normally. Somehow they learn to ignore the bar right in front of their eyes. 

Another solution to the 960 issue is to switch to the cage pictured on the right below. Its from the 9600. They're surprisingly easy to find, and the offending bar being ~1/4" or so lower makes a massive difference. They are also thicker gauge than the 960 cage pictured on the left and seem to only come in stainless. Really solid. 

IMG_0129.JPG

20 hours ago, craig said:

People seem to wear 960s in one of the following ways;

1. Tilted back like mentioned above, looking through the middle of the cage to avoid the upper horizontal bar

2. Pulled down like Ben Scivens (I'm guilty of this too), in order to look above the upper horizontal bar

3. Normally. Somehow they learn to ignore the bar right in front of their eyes. 

I sure know I was guilty of wearing it tilted back. That method carried over to my Bauer C2 for about a year or so too. Comfort is a fickle thing.

Archived