Goal Stick Butt End/Knob Thread

Punisher Goalie

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Punisher Goalie or a difference in scales? Mine was like 17.99 at Target 

Haha nah mines a cheap-o too (Amazon). But who knows. Do you remember if your solid color one has some sort of plastic inner sleeve? I did not take a picture before putting it on my stick but mine had one. Wondering if that’s how they marry two colors together and may add a small amount of weight. 

16 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

My custom order Russian grip came in. Took about 5 weeks from the date of the order. Very happy with the look and feel so far. Much more tape-like than Tacki Mac or Buttendz, although that’s a personal preference thing. 51 grams on the scale, which is pretty close to tape knobs I’ve weighed after cutting them off. Installation was laughably easy with hairspray. 

Only complaint I have is I wish there was the ability to add a stripe of white “tape” at the bottom but that’s just a style thing. Will report back once I’ve had a chance to use it. 

058BFA29-8C33-4195-ABF7-E83B81A7D4A1.thumb.jpeg.e865098434c1746058bd4187b02c445c.jpeg

663F52FE-4669-4E7B-AD02-0D49AF77D405.thumb.jpeg.247bbbd25f481a94cee1e58cc8f781ca.jpeg

ACEE8843-9BDD-4D78-876A-ED95C4095078.thumb.jpeg.1d6af806badab3775a92c1dfff287113.jpeg

Wow I want that! I love the two color look. I use tacki-Mac now but always liked the look of colored tape and white knob.

43 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I’m going to order some for my new Passau sticks. What’s the lead time for them?

Not sure... I know custom is 4-6 weeks... Looks like in stock, like I ordered should be shipped in 2 days with 12-24 days in shipping time

44 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Not sure... I know custom is 4-6 weeks... Looks like in stock, like I ordered should be shipped in 2 days with 12-24 days in shipping time

Definitely going custom, else I’d just be using tacky-mac. The two-color is appealing. My new Passau sticks are all red so figured red with a white knob would look great.

50 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I've just taped a knob and don't really like anything below it... has anyone tried cutting a Russian Grip for just the knob? I'm wondering if it would hold or if it needs the additional surface area. 

Judging by how much leeway I actually have with the knob on my Russian Grip, I don't think it would hold on it's own without an actual semi-permanent adhesive.  Mine is also attached with hairspray, so I don't think that would be good enough for just the knob either.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

I've just taped a knob and don't really like anything below it... has anyone tried cutting a Russian Grip for just the knob? I'm wondering if it would hold or if it needs the additional surface area. 

I’ve tried it with the tacki-Mac grips and no it doesn’t hold. 

@IPv6Freely the custom is really nicely done. Looks just like tape.

I had it out for a short ice session yesterday. It was a little grippier than I'm used to, but I was also using a brand new Optik blocker. Was great for stick handling, but a little difficult to release my grip to go from long stick back to short stick. I think it will be easier as time goes on, just need to get used to it. Also, I have small hands and it was SUPER easy to pick my stick up off the ice so great for emergency dropped stick scenarios in game.

@BadAngle41 as others have said, I don't think there is any way just the knob will stay without superglue or something. Gave me an idea for a product though - how about a knob that is attached to something that you insert into the shaft (obviously would only work on composite sticks) that could be installed with hot melt glue. Might work!

16 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I had it out for a short ice session yesterday. It was a little grippier than I'm used to, but I was also using a brand new Optik blocker. Was great for stick handling, but a little difficult to release my grip to go from long stick back to short stick. I think it will be easier as time goes on, just need to get used to it. Also, I have small hands and it was SUPER easy to pick my stick up off the ice so great for emergency dropped stick scenarios in game.

@BadAngle41 as others have said, I don't think there is any way just the knob will stay without superglue or something. Gave me an idea for a product though - how about a knob that is attached to something that you insert into the shaft (obviously would only work on composite sticks) that could be installed with hot melt glue. Might work!

I've thought about that also. Something 3D printed in rubber would be awesome. Or even in plastic if you're just wanting the knob and don't actually care if its soft or not (giggity). 

25 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@Punisher Goalie... I truly had to give yo the benefit of the doubt as I was reading your note... I thought you were messing with me with all this talk of knobs and shafts and inserting... but you're 100% right. Too bad I just bought another batch of Heavy 21 otherwise I'd be happy to test them.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Punisher Goalie... I truly had to give yo the benefit of the doubt as I was reading your note... I thought you were messing with me with all this talk of knobs and shafts and inserting... but you're 100% right. Too bad I just bought another batch of Heavy 21 otherwise I'd be happy to test them.

Lol no dead serious. Hey, I’d be a customer!

Dell started the year with a demo Butt Endz given to him by the Sharks EQM. He liked the Flux model which was only available in black or green. To comply with the NHL’s crack down on tape colors he taped over the rubber grip. In blue; Dell started off by taping over the whole grip. In green; He’s moved to just taping the knob itself. PS - If I continue using a Butt Endz, I to will be converting to Flux model also. I prefer something smaller than the Sentr

B7AEEC3E-3C6F-4CA2-933C-7BDA51D05C97.jpeg

I prefer a short, bulbous, light-weight knob that 1) does not undermine my poke-check extension (i.e., nothing along the shaft to prematurely catch on the blocker palm and retard maximal poke-check extension), 2) provides a substantial bilateral knob volume (i.e., left-to-right) that allows for easy stick retrieval if the stick is dropped and 3) negligible/nonexistent, posterior knob volume (i.e., as popularized by Dominik Hasek) to maximize the possibility of using the stick-shaft as a blocking element in the paddle down position (i.e., fewer pucks slipping under the stick-shaft).

In response to some of our colleagues/posters:  1) I frequently re-use "butt-ends" from the sticks with trashed blades and 2) I always use light-weight materials in "butt-end" construction (i.e., "packing peanuts," bubble-wrap, trash, etc.).

Archived