Goal Stick Butt End/Knob Thread

Punisher Goalie

I prefer a short, bulbous, light-weight knob that 1) does not undermine my poke-check extension (i.e., nothing along the shaft to prematurely catch on the blocker palm and retard maximal poke-check extension), 2) provides a substantial bilateral knob volume (i.e., left-to-right) that allows for easy stick retrieval if the stick is dropped and 3) negligible/nonexistent, posterior knob volume (i.e., as popularized by Dominik Hasek) to maximize the possibility of using the stick-shaft as a blocking element in the paddle down position (i.e., fewer pucks slipping under the stick-shaft).

In response to some of our colleagues/posters:  1) I frequently re-use "butt-ends" from the sticks with trashed blades and 2) I always use light-weight materials in "butt-end" construction (i.e., "packing peanuts," bubble-wrap, trash, etc.).

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer a short, bulbous, light-weight knob that 1) does not undermine my poke-check extension (i.e., nothing along the shaft to prematurely catch on the blocker palm and retard maximal poke-check extension), 2) provides a substantial bilateral knob volume (i.e., left-to-right) that allows for easy stick retrieval if the stick is dropped and 3) negligible/nonexistent, posterior knob volume (i.e., as popularized by Dominik Hasek) to maximize the possibility of using the stick-shaft as a blocking element in the paddle down position (i.e., fewer pucks slipping under the stick-shaft).

In response to some of our colleagues/posters:  1) I frequently re-use "butt-ends" from the sticks with trashed blades and 2) I always use light-weight materials in "butt-end" construction (i.e., "packing peanuts," bubble-wrap, trash, etc.).

20180117_013743.jpg

20180117_013820.jpg

20180117_013946.jpg

1 hour ago, FIFTY-SIX said:

20180117_013743.jpg

20180117_013820.jpg

20180117_013946.jpg

So I’ve been wanting to experiment with a similar knob, particularly the asymmetrical shape to allow maximum paddle down coverage. 

@FIFTY-SIX can I ask - when you use this knob, how do you grip it for stick handling? Hand on shaft with the knob sticking out the top? Or more like holding a door knob with the bulbous part in your palm?

12 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Exciting mail day!!!  Will be installed on my 1S

IMG_20180208_113420.thumb.jpg.58574fd3c384fb90ebdc5c13fd872c09.jpg

I just love that the logo for Russian Grip is a bear paw that looks like it attacked itself. SO ANGRY!

RUSSIANGRIP

Also, am I correct in assuming their process for these coming up with these knobs was essentially taking a silicon mold of a taped stick?

On 2/7/2018 at 1:58 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

So I’ve been wanting to experiment with a similar knob, particularly the asymmetrical shape to allow maximum paddle down coverage. 

@FIFTY-SIX can I ask - when you use this knob, how do you grip it for stick handling? Hand on shaft with the knob sticking out the top? Or more like holding a door knob with the bulbous part in your palm?

@Punisher Goalie :  Hand on shaft for stickhandling.  As you already know, the increased coverage when in the paddle down position is towards the knob and requires the goaltender to tilt the knob toward the ice.  Good luck.

Used my 1S with the Russian Grip... It was good, no noticeable difference in the weight or balance of the stick vs. tape.  My first time with a grip... has anyone had that feelinig like the bottom of the grip was rolling up?  I thought I felt it a few times when I was playing the puck.

I have a 2nd 1S on the way and just ordered a TackiMack Commander grip for it.  I'll take some comparison picks when it arrives

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Used my 1S with the Russian Grip... It was good, no noticeable difference in the weight or balance of the stick vs. tape.  My first time with a grip... has anyone had that feelinig like the bottom of the grip was rolling up?  I thought I felt it a few times when I was playing the puck.

I have a 2nd 1S on the way and just ordered a TackiMack Commander grip for it.  I'll take some comparison picks when it arrives

Yes, I used a strip of tape on the bottom when I used mine. 

Got my TackiMac Command grip in the mail today.  Seems beefier then the Russian Grip I got last week.

This one also uses a double sided adhesive tape that is activated by water for the install.  It's also definitely the silicone version of a tape job.  This will go on my 2nd 1S I acquired used last week

IMG_20180221_141858.thumb.jpg.5b02425bf635e52add36902d3a23e2ca.jpg

IMG_20180221_141836.thumb.jpg.36462327bf4421d61fc159263e42ee4b.jpg

On 2/12/2018 at 2:09 PM, cwarnar said:

Yes, mine has rolled. It wasn’t bad at first but got worse with time. I haven’t noticed that issue with Butt Endz so far. Way less reps with Butt Endz though 

i believe a tape trim piece at the bottom might alleviate that

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes, mine has rolled. It wasn’t bad at first but got worse with time. I haven’t noticed that issue with Butt Endz so far. Way less reps with Butt Endz though 

i believe a tape trim piece at the bottom might alleviate that

I've done that with both of them now.... I use the Russian Grip the other night and had zero issues with roll up

• 2 weeks later...

I like the short TackiMac sand grips designed for forwards.  These.  As others have said, I don't want anything too long to get in the way of poke checks, and I like to play the puck so prefer an extremely small knob to make that easier.  I do lose my stick more easily at full extension if I'm not careful, but that only happens once in a blue moon.  The additional control and velocity I get on my clearing passes more than makes up for having to be careful about holding onto my twig.  

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I really like the look of the Flux... That sentry is too bulky for my liking

Exactly what I stepped down the size. I’ve been expiramenting with a shorter stick. When I shoot, I want my top hand pinky on the very top of the shaft. It works with the Flux and not with the Sentry. 

Archived