Bauer S170 Senior Catcher Review

Adam Cooper

I’ve had the exact same issues with my CCM premier intermediate (I have tiny hands) fully customized. Maybe about $300 I don’t really recall. It was my first glove so I got it game ready, but the protection over time just got worse and worse. Back to the topic though, never was a fan of Bauer, I’ve seen a lot of different reviews on it and I’d like for their reviews to be consistent at least. However this is a $180 glove so I understand but just overall bad protection like with my CCM. 

• 3 months later...

Nice review. I presume the materials used in the palm are what's preventing it from keeping a nice crease. Lower grade glove foam in palm. Add in the lesser vinyl used too.

Glove looks pretty badass. Looks are most important to me. ha ha

Agree the glove looks great but compared to my Brian's Optik Pro glove it's just night and day.   I gotta hand it to Brian's and their robot glove breaking in machine because it really works.  That glove is so flexible and the pocket on it is huge.  Never get any puck drops out of that glove versus the Bauer where it happened much more frequently.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:18 PM, Adam Cooper said:

Agree the glove looks great but compared to my Brian's Optik Pro glove it's just night and day.   I gotta hand it to Brian's and their robot glove breaking in machine because it really works.  That glove is so flexible and the pocket on it is huge.  Never get any puck drops out of that glove versus the Bauer where it happened much more frequently.

I mean you're comparing a Pro glove to an entry level glove. Hell the S170 isn't even the actual "Senior" version of the line.

Of course there will be a stark difference. :P

My biggest rookie season goalie mistake was cheaping out on a blocker and catcher.  When I started out as a goalie last September 2017 I did not want to drop a lot of money on gear as I was not sure if I would stick with being a goalie.  I think this comparison review speaks to the big gap between the lower end gear vs. higher end gear.  My thoughts today are that if you are serious about the game then buy gear that your are comfortable in, lasts long and really helps your game.  But most importantly do your research and talk to other goalies for advice and feedback.  I just went into the store at that time and really just picked these two based on price, looks and feel in the store as I needed gear at that time quickly.

Looking back, out of all my gear I still think the Bauer S170 Blocker and S170 Catcher were my worse purchases.  I did not get advice from any experts on these two items.  All my other gear I had help and I've kept most of those items.  

So hopefully I can help other goalies like me not make that mistake.  

4 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

My biggest rookie season goalie mistake was cheaping out on a blocker and catcher.  When I started out as a goalie last September 2017 I did not want to drop a lot of money on gear as I was not sure if I would stick with being a goalie.  I think this comparison review speaks to the big gap between the lower end gear vs. higher end gear.  My thoughts today are that if you are serious about the game then buy gear that your are comfortable in, lasts long and really helps your game.  But most importantly do your research and talk to other goalies for advice and feedback.  I just went into the store at that time and really just picked these two based on price, looks and feel in the store as I needed gear at that time quickly.

Looking back, out of all my gear I still think the Bauer S170 Blocker and S170 Catcher were my worse purchases.  I did not get advice from any experts on these two items.  All my other gear I had help and I've kept most of those items. 

So hopefully I can help other goalies like me not make that mistake.  

Eh. I'd argue the opposite.

There is such a steep learning curve for being a goalie. This refers to technique, reaction, play reading, what you like in gear and even if you enjoy the position. I've seen many guys pick it up and drop it in a few months as they figure out it's not for them.

The entry level senior stuff is more than fine for a goalie who is just starting and wants to get their feet wet. And considering how cost prohibitive hockey is in general (let alone goaltending), having this gear available for the entry level guy who knows nothing is great. Especially since it's less of a hassle to replace it when they figure out what they want. (like yourself).

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Eh. I'd argue the opposite.

There is such a steep learning curve for being a goalie. This refers to technique, reaction, play reading, what you like in gear and even if you enjoy the position. I've seen many guys pick it up and drop it in a few months as they figure out it's not for them.

The entry level senior stuff is more than fine for a goalie who is just starting and wants to get their feet wet. And considering how cost prohibitive hockey is in general (let alone goaltending), having this gear available for the entry level guy who knows nothing is great. Especially since it's less of a hassle to replace it when they figure out what they want. (like yourself).

I really think it all depends, but I can agree with both points.  I see a lot of goalies, especially where I play that want to take up hockey, get frustrated because they can't skate and decide to play goalie because they figure they don't have to move around as much.  That guy needs cheap gear because he's going to find out in a hurry that playing goalie is harder than skating out and will more than likely quit.  

However, someone that plays the game and has a good comfort level on skates but wants to play in net should probably invest in something better than low end equipment.  The biggest reason is because they are probably going to be jumping in at a mid to upper tier league and will need the protection, but also because a decent player will have a much easier transition in net.

Best option for all is to do some homework and purchase used high end Sr. level or Pro level gear.  It will be good quality and will retain its value if and when you decide to move on or try out a different brand/style.  Hell, I purchased a used set of Warrior R/GT Pros in very good condition 4 months ago for $725 USD.  I just sold them for $850.  Why mess around with crap gear for the same price that no one will want.

Archived