Protechsport Mask Thread

3 hours ago, redrook said:

Just received my Protechsport from Michel yesterday, bit of a long wait as I ordered and paid on 26 April last year but my mold only arrived with him 4th June. Thankfully I've had no hockey going on so it has made no real difference. Overall I am extremely happy with the result. I mean, it's a Michel Doganieri mask after all!

I went for full kevlar and the Theodore mold, which as his website says is the same as the Lalime, Jiggy, Denis, Thibault, Garon, Luongo, Fichaud, Aebischer and Brochu. I've noticed some confusion about this, but I'd put any variances down to adjusting the mold to the individual head mold.

Rubatex foam and chin sling. I also asked for Lefebrvre style cage clips and foam, which he hasn't done unfortunately. Reading back our emails I possibly wasn't clear enough about that, and I'll get him to send me some clips. The stock rubatex design is simpler anyway, so will be easier to replace.

Unfortunately I had a huge problem with the painter (which Michel was pissed off about too). Basically the guy didn't get in touch despite me repeatedly asking him to in order to discuss my design. Never discussed the design with me, just cracked on and didn't listen. Only got in touch when he was in the middle of the job, and still didn't do specific things I asked for. I rejected the work because it was nothing like what I asked for, and it was really poor quality. It went back to Michel and he put it back to white for me for free. He was very sympathetic about this and angry at the painter. Unfortunately I still need to pay something for the crap work as the painter charged Michel to get the mask back, and of course I don't want him to be out of pocket even though he's told me it's up to me whether I pay for it.

So overall a bit of a mixed experience. Really good communication from Michel, but let down by some details missing and the experience with the painter (which wasn't Michel's fault at all).

For the price and the quality I would definitely order from him again though.

2 hours ago, redrook said:

Thanks man, I am definitely happy with it! 
Yeah it was a shame, I was hoping to have it arrive all painted, but not the end of the world.

Sorry to read about your paint, but it's great to read Michel did what he could to take care of you.

I'm not a huge fan of "social media justice" or raking a business over the coals GGSU style, but I do think it is important to share the name of the painter as a potential buyer beware.  If I'm reading between the lines right, I'm guessing this is one of the painters Michel contracts out to.

This is just my personal opinion, and you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Sorry to read about your paint, but it's great to read Michel did what he could to take care of you.

I'm not a huge fan of "social media justice" or raking a business over the coals GGSU style, but I do think it is important to share the name of the painter as a potential buyer beware.  If I'm reading between the lines right, I'm guessing this is one of the painters Michel contracts out to.

This is just my personal opinion, and you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable.

Yeah it is one of Michel's painters, and while I would like to name names, it looks like I'm in the minority and I haven't read anything else bad about that painter - which is another reason I was so disappointed with his work. It honestly looked like someone who had never painted a mask before had done it. The other work I've seen of his looks great. I can't be bothered with backlash from fanboys and since I don't think it'll make any difference I won't name.

I will share a pic of one example, which I found just ridiculous. Basically there was a space (top pic), so I asked the painter what he thought would work there, and the next message I get is the lower picture. No joke. Literally painted in with a brush by hand. Clearly couldn't care. I would have happily paid for more time to get a better result, but didn't even get the option. I loved elements of his work, but some things (like this) were just utter crap. He also ignored specific instructions I gave him despite having plenty of opportunity.

151534535_3776746825774574_3454604151904559665_n.png

Edited by redrook

• 2 months later...

I finally finished designing and painting my mask just in time to get back on the ice for the first time since the latest lockdown. I prefer the clean, bold, and easily recognizable style designs like they used to do back in the 80's & 90's (which conveniently aligns with my painting skills). I'm very happy with how it turned out.

The painting process was much easier this time thanks to the vinyl cutter we got last Christmas. It allowed me to not only mock-up and revise the design on the mask but I was able to cutout vinyl to use as the masking/stencilling when painting.

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-01.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-02.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-04.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-06.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-07.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-09.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-12.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-13.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-14.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GoalieNut said:

Would anyone on this thread recommend a painter in the Toronto area?  I'm in the Durham region and would prefer someone near my location.  I'm thinking about ordering one of Michel's masks and getting it painted.  Thank you!

http://www.eyecandyair.com/

https://rcpairbrushing.com/

https://www.davidarrigo.com/

https://www.maverickairbrush.ca/

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, garrettdigital said:

Here are some photos of my family of Protechsport masks including my new Lalime mould with my now retired Thibault mould and my Roy replica.

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-15.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-17.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-23.JPG

Protechsport-Lalime-2021-25.JPG

Love the Marty and Potvin vibes, without being a shameless copy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 10:04 PM, garrettdigital said:

Here are some photos of my family of Protechsport masks including my new Lalime mould with my now retired Thibault mould and my Roy replica.

Those are gorgeous! But just FYI, the Thibault and Lalime moulds are the same. Taken from the Protechsport website:

There are four models

• Roy
  • Brodeur
  • Belfour (triangular vent holes)
  • Theodore (identical to Lalime, Jiggy, Thiabult, Garon, Luongo, Fichaud, Aebischer and Brochu)

15 minutes ago, redrook said:

Those are gorgeous! But just FYI, the Thibault and Lalime moulds are the same. Taken from the Protechsport website:

There are four models

• Roy
  • Brodeur
  • Belfour (triangular vent holes)
  • Theodore (identical to Lalime, Jiggy, Thiabult, Garon, Luongo, Fichaud, Aebischer and Brochu)

There’s a Potvin model too, it’s just not listed :)

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, XZIST said:

Tyvm.. where are you seeing the wait times though? Is the gmail on the website correct still?

It's on the front page - https://sites.google.com/site/protechsportinc1/english_1

Protech.png.0f5771d1a2ff110abe7e7121ab2c4d6f.png

Use the Gmail address on the website. If he doesn't get back to you in a couple days, I have another e-mail address I can DM you, but it seems like it might be a personal one.

26 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

It's on the front page - https://sites.google.com/site/protechsportinc1/english_1

Protech.png.0f5771d1a2ff110abe7e7121ab2c4d6f.png

Use the Gmail address on the website. If he doesn't get back to you in a couple days, I have another e-mail address I can DM you, but it seems like it might be a personal one.

Ah I see - thank you so much.. I'll try that email first then :D

• 1 month later...

Also for those of you counting/wondering - 47 weeks and 1 day from date of order to when I got the email that my mask was starting. (28 weeks and 3 days from the date Michel got my head mold)

(Don't take this as a bash, I couldn't care less on the wait, this is just a timeframe reference for folks)

Edited by Vanniek71