Protechsport Mask Thread

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Gorgeous!!!  Did you specifically ask michel for that shell?  I’m in week 6 of 14 for my wait And would love that one in all black

He just got my mold in the other day, and that's pretty much what i'm asking for too! Matte black with white cheater cage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 1:32 PM, TitanG said:

Did you ask to make the vent holes closer to the cage? I've noticed he usually puts the triangular holes further out which makes it look strange when compared to the Harrisons, Warwicks, etc. Also, that's a short chin!

On 12/20/2017 at 1:35 PM, cwarnar said:

Gorgeous!!!  Did you specifically ask michel for that shell?  I’m in week 6 of 14 for my wait And would love that one in all black

Yes, I asked for the specific shell. I did not ask for specific placement of the vent holes, but if I was getting any other shell with triangle holes, I would specify. Short chin was also a specific request, three inches

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my new ProTechSport today. Went with the classic matte white with polished cage. 961 mold, full Kevlar. Love it. It's my 2nd one from Michel. My other one is the Garon mold so I wanted to change it up with the 961 this time. Super happy with how it looks. No paint job for now but maybe in the future. 

C0D6F5C8-7443-4156-ADF4-5FDD319FFD48.jpeg

0E066F73-2398-4E34-BBEF-537262A9F161.jpeg

BADA55CC-8D05-4AFE-8BE1-9130AE3B3B4E.jpeg

Edited by 1C5
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2018 at 8:58 PM, ULTIMA said:

Great mask. I had one.

Only thing I didn't like is he uses the mold from when Itech had screws/posts on the cheek area which Bauer hasn't used on their masks in years.

The mask that Michel made the mold from would not determine where and how he mounts the cage. The molds are smooth and so it the shell that comes out of it. Hole cutouts would be defined by a trimming jig or be laid out by hand.

I believe he has just chosen to mount the cage in the way he usually does with the Lefebrve shells (temple, cheek, chin). Note how there is no mount points in the forehead. Also, the mount point in the cheek area has never been used in Wright/Itech/Bauer masks (to my knowledge anyways). 

Wright made masks and 960/961s always had cages mounted forehead/temple/chin. Old 950s and NVY/NME masks are not mounted at the chin but have a second mount point at the bottom-side.

I'm sure Michel would mount a cage in a different configuration if asked nicely(if it doesn't affect the integrity of the shell)

How is the fit compared to your Garon shell?  I'm in a Garon shell, and emailed Michel a couple times about picking up his 961 clone and he talked me out of it.  He made it sound like the fit wouldn't be as good as what I'm getting with the Garon shell as the number of sizes in that mold are limited compared to his standard shell shape.

@home0006 My Garon shell is now 10 years old and badly in need of new foam and straps so I just sent it to Michel for a refurb. Once I get it back I'll be able to give you a side by side comparison on fit between the 2. 

I did ask Michel about 961 fit before I ordered it and he said the 961 would work for me based on my mold I sent him. I guess it's a case by case basis on if the 961 will be a good fit or not. 

I did already play 1 game in the 961 though and the fit and feel was great. Super happy with it. 

My wife and I visited Michel when we were in Montréal for our anniversary, and I was fitted for a mask. I just got word that my mask is now under production! Here's what I've requested, spec-wise. Can anyone think of anything I'm forgetting to ask/address?

Mask Details
-Brodeur model
-Fiberglass/kevlar mix
-Gloss black paint
-White window
-Cat eye in white (single bar, please!)
-Chin sling
-White straps
-Black padding inside (is there a difference in the padding, aside from color?)
-Normal backplate (not hidden straps - I'd like to see them)
-Round holes

I also asked him about chin length — specifically, if Brodeur had a longer chin on his own mask... I don't think so, but I was curious.

I was also curious if there was a specific neck-guard/dangler recommended for Protechsports. I usually like the A&R Round-Style neck-guard, and I don't see why I'd switch... but I wanted to hear what you all think.

8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ooohhh chin length, good idea.  I gotta measure my Pro's Choice and see what it is to make sure its the same.

Yeah, it's the one area I hadn't really considered. I mean, it pretty much comes down to safety/comfort/style, right?

I know I don't want a short chin, but I'm not really sure how long I'd like it. In the end, I just asked Michel what Brodeur used. Kinda silly, but I've looked at the proportions of his mask my whole life, and I've always liked it. I mean, I would assume the 'Brodeur' shape Michel uses and Brodeur's actual mask are the same proportions, but who knows.

I do like the chin length on my Hackva (the mask, not so much), so maybe I'll still measure that for a ballpark.

8 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Yeah, it's the one area I hadn't really considered. I mean, it pretty much comes down to safety/comfort/style, right?

I know I don't want a short chin, but I'm not really sure how long I'd like it. In the end, I just asked Michel what Brodeur used. Kinda silly, but I've looked at the proportions of his mask my whole life, and I've always liked it. I mean, I would assume the 'Brodeur' shape Michel uses and Brodeur's actual mask are the same proportions, but who knows.

I do like the chin length on my Hackva (the mask, not so much), so maybe I'll still measure that for a ballpark.

I Would definitely start there.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

Black padding inside (is there a difference in the padding, aside from color?)

The black foam he uses is EVA foam. The beige foam is Rubatex (Vinyl nitrile).

The EVA Michel uses is softer than Rubatex. I believe this is still his default foam.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, craig said:

The mask that Michel made the mold from would not determine where and how he mounts the cage. The molds are smooth and so it the shell that comes out of it. Hole cutouts would be defined by a trimming jig or be laid out by hand.

I believe he has just chosen to mount the cage in the way he usually does with the Lefebrve shells (temple, cheek, chin). Note how there is no mount points in the forehead. Also, the mount point in the cheek area has never been used in Wright/Itech/Bauer masks (to my knowledge anyways). 

Wright made masks and 960/961s always had cages mounted forehead/temple/chin. Old 950s and NVY/NME masks are not mounted at the chin but have a second mount point at the bottom-side.

I'm sure Michel would mount a cage in a different configuration if asked nicely(if it doesn't affect the integrity of the shell)

I cannot prove it so but I do recall there was a brief period when Itech had the clips to mount the cage on the cheek area. It might be coincidental that he does this with his version.

11 minutes ago, craig said:

The black foam he uses is EVA foam. The beige foam is Rubatex (Vinyl nitrile).

The EVA Michel uses is softer than Rubatex. I believe this is still his default foam.

Thanks for the info, Craig. Pardon my pronoun confusion, but when you say 'this is still his default foam', you meant the black EVA, right?

Anyone have any info on why one would be better than the other? If I went with EVA, would it break down much faster and need to be replaced sooner, etc? Thanks.

11 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I cannot prove it so but I do recall there was a brief period when Itech had the clips to mount the cage on the cheek area. It might be coincidental that he does this with his version.

The cheek area screw on lefebvre/protechsport masks serves two purposes. One is a cage mounting point. The other is to keep the chin sling from rotating. Having a sling mount at four points instead of two (just the harness snaps screws) prevents this from happening. 

Snap1.jpg

1 minute ago, craig said:

The cheek area screw on lefebvre/protechsport masks serves two purposes. One is a cage mounting point. The other is to keep the chin sling from rotating. Having a sling mount at four points instead of two (just the harness snaps screws) prevents this from happening. 

Snap1.jpg

Yes, you are correct. I am aware of it's purpose. I was simply stating that I personally don't like the clips/screws/posts on the cheek. Otherwise it's great.

• IPv6Freely unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Hey @cwarnar any updates from Michel on your mask?
I believe i'm on week 11, and nothing as of yet - not in a major rush personally, but just wanting to see how things are going for others. 

I actually ended up pulling the pin... Wait was too long... and I got a better deal on a Sportmask Pro 3, F Series, from @TGC-Rance

I've got two, a fiberglass and a full Kevlar.  Michel basically said that there's no real benefit to the mixed glass and Kevlar since it doesn't save that much in terms of weight.  Michel is a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with even if his response time to communication isn't necessarily the fastest.

I'm a skeptic of the need for a mold.  My first one I did the mold.  My second one which was two years later (and was at a time that the CAD was particularly weak, so I went full kevlar for about $2.50 USD), I didn't do the mold, he said he remembered which shell I was in and could figure it out.  They fit pretty much the same.  

I wound up getting a Coveted recently based on a few basic measurements and a few pics and the fit is actually even more dialed in than my Protechsports.  Things that make you go hmm.  The Coveted is my go to these days, I just like it a little better.  No dis on Michel or his masks, it just fits a little better and has been a little bit better on the numerous headshots I've gotten (all during warm up, naturally).  

The one thing I don't like about the Protechsport is the foam.  The black EVA degrades very, very quickly and was flaking off after less than a year or a year and a half of playing once or twice a week.  I had to get it repadded as a result.  Yes it's soft and it doesn't stiffen up like Rubatex, but it is not at all durable.  

At the price point, you can't beat Protechsport, particularly if you're not in a hurry!

As I say with stuff like foams, etc. @jeff da goalie, there is always tradeoffs. I like the black EVA better than rubatex, myself. It is not that durable, but it also stays soft through its lifespan. It is a one or the other thing, for me. I can’t stand the feel of aged Rubatex. 

My big disappointment was that I could not get a Roy-style helmet, or a Brodeur, for my head shape. But in the end- I got something that is still pretty unique...

I did buy a Protechsport on the secondary market for an additional back up. It has enough different features to differentiate it from what I had ordered custom. And I did not have to wait!