Protechsport Mask Thread

1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

Meant to post earlier. My Protechsport finally showed up earlier this week. Pardon the scary photo 🙄

Initial impressions:

-Wow, it's heavy! But a good heavy. I feel really safe in it if that makes sense (insert millenial safe-space joke here 😶).

-I added an extra 3/4" length on the chin and back, and I'm glad I did. Sorta looks like an original 961 long-chin and I like it. I was worried it might impact downward visibility, but doesn't seem to affect it at all.

-So comfortable. I did a small adjustment to the chin cup and that's all it needed to feel like it was an extension of my head.

-Mask wrap looks awesome too. I recommend JF Aumais to anyone considering a wrap.

-Although it was a lengthy wait, I feel more than happy with my purchase and experience.

Glad to answer any questions! 

IMG_20190219_185606840_LL.jpg

Can you provide some more angles, specifically a side shot? I was wondering if Michel would extend the chin on the 961 mold since it's more shaped than his other masks.

5 hours ago, rebatttocs said:

@motowngoalie - did you go full kevlar?

Wondering how much materials impact the weight of the mask.

Thanks!

From Michel "Now here are the differences between material , it will be obviously in weight , full Kevlar is definately lighter than fiberglass or the fiberglass/Kevlar mix , also no ringing or almost not with full Kevlar and finally , full Kevlar is a definitely more durable material than fiberglass , in other words , if you put both masks in the same game situation let’s say during 2 years , the full Kevlar mask will look much better or in better shape for sure , it's not me or the way I built masks , this is the reality, no matter how to use or work with these two materials, the result will always be the same . It's hard to compare both materials cause Kevlar is such a higher quality material , it's almost unfair for the kevlar to compare both , they are not in the same ''league'' . I dot use carbon fiber cause it's simply useless in masks , it only increase the cost and not good at all for the impact ."

Full Kevlar is around 2.2Lbs I believe

On 2/22/2019 at 12:18 PM, motowngoalie said:

Meant to post earlier. My Protechsport finally showed up earlier this week. Pardon the scary photo 🙄

Initial impressions:

-Wow, it's heavy! But a good heavy. I feel really safe in it if that makes sense (insert millenial safe-space joke here 😶).

-I added an extra 3/4" length on the chin and back, and I'm glad I did. Sorta looks like an original 961 long-chin and I like it. I was worried it might impact downward visibility, but doesn't seem to affect it at all.

-So comfortable. I did a small adjustment to the chin cup and that's all it needed to feel like it was an extension of my head.

-Mask wrap looks awesome too. I recommend JF Aumais to anyone considering a wrap.

-Although it was a lengthy wait, I feel more than happy with my purchase and experience.

Glad to answer any questions! 

IMG_20190219_185606840_LL.jpg

On 2/22/2019 at 6:31 PM, MangoRhinehart said:
From Michel "Now here are the differences between material , it will be obviously in weight , full Kevlar is definately lighter than fiberglass or the fiberglass/Kevlar mix , also no ringing or almost not with full Kevlar and finally , full Kevlar is a definitely more durable material than fiberglass , in other words , if you put both masks in the same game situation let’s say during 2 years , the full Kevlar mask will look much better or in better shape for sure , it's not me or the way I built masks , this is the reality, no matter how to use or work with these two materials, the result will always be the same . It's hard to compare both materials cause Kevlar is such a higher quality material , it's almost unfair for the kevlar to compare both , they are not in the same ''league'' . I dot use carbon fiber cause it's simply useless in masks , it only increase the cost and not good at all for the impact ."

Full Kevlar is around 2.2Lbs I believe

Thanks for sharing - this is great context. Makes me want to weigh the 10yr old Eddy bucket I'm looking to replace. 

Hey, my protechsport mask came in yesterday and I can’t say enough about how great it feels. I didn’t adjust anything and it fit perfectly the moment I put it on. It just feels like a solid mask when you hold it or wear it. I contacted Michel to let him know I got it and his first response was, “How is the fit?”  Goes to show how much he cares about his masks and our satisfaction. Not only that, he thanks you for placing the order and your patience for waiting so long for it to come. Just all around great to deal with and to be honest, I didn't mind the wait seeing as I was getting an awesome mask. So here are the details:

Full fiberglass

Thibeault mold 

Hidden backplate straps (sorry for the bad quality pic)

Extended chin

Chin sling (So comfortable!!)

Also, a side profile pic for the fellow who wanted to see how the extended chin looked. 

7A93C684-0BFB-4D77-B7F7-FF43D1943AD5.jpeg

465BDFB8-68EE-4D92-B37B-A4FF2B89DC0D.jpeg

C295D892-F2EF-4AB7-86B2-E21300D70A52.jpeg

628E2976-1911-4390-B14A-DC94E8F1EA33.jpeg

80DAD00B-100A-4B36-9EED-0100D88E3DB7.jpeg

Edited by Deltadre
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 3:20 PM, Taco said:

Some unboxing photos of a full Kevlar, matte black Harrison style mask with a matching backplate vent (Potvin only had the right side). Also went with black padding, finished interior, and a chin sling. Feels ultra solid as expected.

I really wish I went with the pro finished interior on my mask.

Yeah it was a last second add-in. I didn’t have the money 12 years ago and figured I’d splurge this time around. 

I weighed and total comes up to 3.2 lbs. the cage on this seems larger and sturdier than the single bar one on my other mask. I imagine getting the pro finish prob contributed some extra ounces to the total. 

Its very nice though! I wore it last night in a SO loss. I did have to concentrate a bit to imagine that I wasn’t looking out of bars the same color as the puck. We will see where this leads...

12 hours ago, Taco said:

Yeah it was a last second add-in. I didn’t have the money 12 years ago and figured I’d splurge this time around. 

I weighed and total comes up to 3.2 lbs. the cage on this seems larger and sturdier than the single bar one on my other mask. I imagine getting the pro finish prob contributed some extra ounces to the total. 

Its very nice though! I wore it last night in a SO loss. I did have to concentrate a bit to imagine that I wasn’t looking out of bars the same color as the puck. We will see where this leads...

Why the pro finish add weight?  Wouldn't it remove weight?  I am sure the weight is negligible, but, removing material by sanding down impurities so everything is smooth shouldn't add weight to the mask.

35 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Why the pro finish add weight?  Wouldn't it remove weight?  I am sure the weight is negligible, but, removing material by sanding down impurities so everything is smooth shouldn't add weight to the mask.

Unless he's adding material to build it up and then sand down?

My first Protechsport had the unfinished interior and you could see the weave direction of the inner material through a thin layer of paint. 

Im not in a place where I can take a pic, but it seems like there is some built up material, probably fiberglass/gel coat or something, that was sanded down. Mask overall seems thicker than the first one I had. 

30 minutes ago, Taco said:

My first Protechsport had the unfinished interior and you could see the weave direction of the inner material through a thin layer of paint. 

Im not in a place where I can take a pic, but it seems like there is some built up material, probably fiberglass/gel coat or something, that was sanded down. Mask overall seems thicker than the first one I had. 

Ahhh gotcha, as I was.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:05 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Also just realized that I never posted any pictures of my finished mask after getting its wrap.  I'll have to post some when I get off of work.

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

Awesome looking mask.

Who did the paintjob? Looks a lot like some armor masks mby Headstrong Grafx.

Not a paint job but a vinyl wrap.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:20 PM, Taco said:

Some unboxing photos of a full Kevlar, matte black Harrison style mask with a matching backplate vent (Potvin only had the right side). Also went with black padding, finished interior, and a chin sling. Feels ultra solid as expected.  

7CBA1A99-3A1D-43B9-A6B8-87CF9EBBA885.jpeg

DD96DB47-A7D7-4B79-BE5D-E17E95A4B440.jpeg

20594879-F014-4A7F-81B6-75638C12324E.jpeg

8787702E-23A2-44AA-9D51-FE649297CFB5.jpeg

On 2/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, Deltadre said:

Hey, my protechsport mask came in yesterday and I can’t say enough about how great it feels. I didn’t adjust anything and it fit perfectly the moment I put it on. It just feels like a solid mask when you hold it or wear it. I contacted Michel to let him know I got it and his first response was, “How is the fit?”  Goes to show how much he cares about his masks and our satisfaction. Not only that, he thanks you for placing the order and your patience for waiting so long for it to come. Just all around great to deal with and to be honest, I didn't mind the wait seeing as I was getting an awesome mask. So here are the details:

Full fiberglass

Thibeault mold 

Hidden backplate straps (sorry for the bad quality pic)

Extended chin

Chin sling (So comfortable!!)

Also, a side profile pic for the fellow who wanted to see how the extended chin looked. 

7A93C684-0BFB-4D77-B7F7-FF43D1943AD5.jpeg

465BDFB8-68EE-4D92-B37B-A4FF2B89DC0D.jpeg

C295D892-F2EF-4AB7-86B2-E21300D70A52.jpeg

628E2976-1911-4390-B14A-DC94E8F1EA33.jpeg

80DAD00B-100A-4B36-9EED-0100D88E3DB7.jpeg

18 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

As promised 

AD914F89-6294-4461-93AB-E579FAA6C3F0.jpeg

F9CECADB-A4DC-48DC-9A91-78676C922D00.jpeg

84DBF559-B4F8-43E6-9157-36C1AD940F77.jpeg

I don't yet need a new mask, but man you guys are making it difficult!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, seagoal said:

Awesome looking mask.

Who did the paintjob? Looks a lot like some armor masks mby Headstrong Grafx.

Thanks but it is actually a vinyl wrap as Snowman said.

10 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Not a paint job but a vinyl wrap.

Indeed

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

Looks amazing. Jonathan Quick influenced? 

Thanks.  I would say its a bit more than an influence, more of a straight up copy.  At least as much of a copy as can be done with a vinyl wrap.

My biggest gripe with the wrap is that he wasn't able to make the face mask portion of the artwork line up correctly with the circular "pivot points".  Other than that I am happy with it.

Was hoping to get some feedback. I ordered a protechsport a while back and I know I’ll have 0 issues with the quality of the mask, but was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on the matte black. I’ve seen a couple pictures of protechsports in matte black and they just seem off. Whenever I see an otny or some other manufacturer i love the look of it in matte.

Curious on others opinions on this and if I’m the only one that thinks this?