Protechsport Mask Thread

Just got word from Michel this weekend that my mask is being sanded. Pumped for it to arrive but sadly the remainder of the season has been cancelled due to COVID-19. How do ppl feel about "mask Mondays" so I can wear it around the house? 

Edited by rebatttocs
wrong content

11 hours ago, Hockey37 said:

Has anyone ordered a 2nd mask from Michel without sending in a head mould?  If you know which mould you already use, are you comfortable enough to order it again "off the shelf"?

I ordered my first mask without a mold, I just sent my head measurements to him. Turned out perfectly.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:50 PM, OceanMon said:

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your message. 

I have been contemplating on how I could reduce the chances of concussion....and I could only come up with trying to avoid the puck.   I read somewhere that I should try to get it square in the cage to distribute the impact.  Makes sense, but also seems crazy. 

Your tip of tucking in the chin makes a lot of sense as the head and body would act together as one body of inertia.  Thanks so much for this. 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:16 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Take it to the cage???  Who told you to do that??  Try catching the puck first and foremost.  Avoid the puck to the head if you can.

I agree with SaveByRichter that you should try to catch and avoid the puck. Also, if you play with your hand on the side of your body instead of in front of you it makes it too far to catch a puck going toward your head.  Only a small movement of your hand can cover or catch a puck going toward your head. You can see this article show a photo that illustrate this.

https://www.megagoaltending.com/2017/01/04/glove-positioning/

In the second photos you can see that hand position. You can try as a dryland activity to have someone shoot gently some tennis ball toward your head and catch them with your glove and you will see how little movement is needed when your glove position right.

If you can't catch it, try to duck or tilt the head sideways but do not turn your head away because the side of the helmet is not designed to deflect pucks and the impact is going to be worse.  At last, as mentioned earlier in those case when it just happened too fast having your chin tucked will make a huge difference. Deflections happen so fast that you cannot possibly catch or avoid them all and some will hit you in the mask.

At last, the mask protect you better against puck impacts then against elbows and shoulders from players....

Edited by Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

My Protechsport mask arrived this past weekend and it looks/feels great right out of the box.  For reference this is a Belfour style fiberglass + Kevlar mask with chin cup and black foam. I also picked up an extra black cage.

Well worth the wait and you can't beat the service or cost. I thought my previous pro Eddy mask fit well but it does not compare. Huge thanks to Michel for all his help!

IMG_1640~3.jpeg

IMG_1638~3.jpeg

IMG_1641~2.jpeg

IMG_20200418_175205.jpg

• Like 8

Can anyone tell me what the weight difference is between the Kevlar and Fiberglass? I'm looking to order soon and if there's a good saving I'm going full Kevlar.

Ignore - just read the website, 2.2lbs Kevlar, 3lbs for Fiberglass. I'm assuming the cage is not included in these wights? Is it worth going for the full Kevlar?

Edited by redrook

I always go full Kevlar bc of the 6 month wait time, the exchange rate, and the lesser ringing than full fiberglass properties. All his masks are solid and awesome. Best value in the biz, might as well go all out. Mask is made to last and I wore my first one like 500x before replacing. I could still wear it if I wanted. 

9 hours ago, Taco said:

I always go full Kevlar bc of the 6 month wait time, the exchange rate, and the lesser ringing than full fiberglass properties. All his masks are solid and awesome. Best value in the biz, might as well go all out. Mask is made to last and I wore my first one like 500x before replacing. I could still wear it if I wanted. 

Good to hear, because I've just sent payment for a full Kevlar. Such good value, the only downside is the long waiting time - but I'm taking that as a good sign!

On 4/3/2020 at 7:53 AM, Patrick said:

I agree with SaveByRichter that you should try to catch and avoid the puck. Also, if you play with your hand on the side of your body instead of in front of you it makes it too far to catch a puck going toward your head.  Only a small movement of your hand can cover or catch a puck going toward your head. You can see this article show a photo that illustrate this.

https://www.megagoaltending.com/2017/01/04/glove-positioning/

At last, the mask protect you better against puck impacts then against elbows and shoulders from players....

Great article, and also completely correct on your last point. Concussions to NHL goalies are seldom caused by pucks, they are caused by collisions with other players. Concussion is not caused by impact to the head, it is caused by movement of the head and the consequent movement of the brain inside the skul. For that reason helmets do not prevent concussions...unless you could somehow put a helmet around your brain inside your skull ;) 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2019/09/20/nhl-goaltenders-getting-concussions-at-an-alarming-rate/40178693/

Edited by redrook

2 hours ago, HP29 said:

Is Michel catching up at all amid the pandemic, or has it been business as usual?

i.e. has anyone received a lesser lead time than what's typical?

He told me 35 to 38 weeks right now, so I've pulled the trigger fully aware that I won't get it for 8 - 9 months. He's still working full time from the sound of it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, redrook said:

He told me 35 to 38 weeks right now, so I've pulled the trigger fully aware that I won't get it for 8 - 9 months. He's still working full time from the sound of it. 

About a month ago, he said 40-42 weeks for me when I first ordered. Looks like the wait is shrinking for me orders

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OceanMon said:

About a month ago, he said 40-42 weeks for me when I first ordered. Looks like the wait is shrinking for me orders

IIRC, there was a government mandated shutdown until April 13th in Canada.  He probably caught up on a few orders during that time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

IIRC, there was a government mandated shutdown until April 13th in Canada.  He probably caught up on a few orders during that time.

The shutdowns in Canada are by province, just like in the US how they are by state, and Quebec has been the hardest hit of all so I think they will be shut down for awhile. The shutdowns started in the second last week of March, just a few days after the NHL shutdown, so I'd agree that he probably has a lot more time to make masks now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, redrook said:

11 hours ago, OceanMon said:

He'd quoted me 27 weeks a few months ago, but I ultimately wasn't able to order a mask at the time. Last I checked, it had jumped to 33 weeks, along with the slight price increases. Going to keep an eye out, as this may be a good time if he is at home full-time... understandably so, he only seems to get busier!

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Pardon my ignorance but are his masks THAT good that people will Waite 6+ months for one? Just seems like a crazy amount of time to wait for something. I see on his website it’s 33 weeks that’s so long to wait. 

It is one of those quality, time, cost scenarios.  Pick two. 

In this case you are picking quality and cost. 

Michel is a single man operation, who has built masks for many NHL'ers and offers a custom padding to your head. He uses high quality materials and keeps his costs low by being a one man shop.  He is also working a full time job, so this is his side hustle. 

Price wise, his top of the mask is 4 layers of kevlar + 3 additional kevlar layers in the forehead and chin + 1 fiberglass for 695CAD

This competes with a Bauer 950XPM in price but is made with much better materials and has a custom fit. 

Other custom manufacturers are priced around $800-$1100 USD.

• Like 3