Protechsport Mask Thread

2 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Pardon my ignorance but are his masks THAT good that people will Waite 6+ months for one? Just seems like a crazy amount of time to wait for something. I see on his website it’s 33 weeks that’s so long to wait. 

As @MangoRhinehart says, these are high quality masks made at an extremely low price point. In my opinion, it's the best value equipment purchase you can make, especially if you've got American dollars. Approximately $500 US gets you a full Kevlar mask, which is what Michel would build, composition-wise, for his NHL clients. A Bauer VTX goes for $899 US. I believe the CCM Axis mask will retail $949 US.

Plus the Protechsport is fit to your head. And you have custom options - I'm sure everyone who visit this board regularly likes the sound of that. You can select your choice of cages, hole shape, mask/cage colors, chin cup/sling, chin length and more.

There's an old adage: "Buy once, cry once", but that doesn't really apply here because they are more than fairly priced.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit of a Protechsport cheerleader. Own two full Kevlar masks.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:34 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

As @MangoRhinehart says, these are high quality masks made at an extremely low price point. In my opinion, it's the best value equipment purchase you can make, especially if you've got American dollars. Approximately $500 US gets you a full Kevlar mask, which is what Michel would build, composition-wise, for his NHL clients. A Bauer VTX goes for $899 US. I believe the CCM Axis mask will retail $949 US.

Plus the Protechsport is fit to your head. And you have custom options - I'm sure everyone who visit this board regularly likes the sound of that. You can select your choice of cages, hole shape, mask/cage colors, chin cup/sling, chin length and more.

There's an old adage: "Buy once, cry once", but that doesn't really apply here because they are more than fairly priced.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit of a Protechsport cheerleader. Own two full Kevlar masks.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve heard nothing but great things and I'm always hearing people recommend them it just seems soooo long. I can barely stand waiting for 8-10 weeks for pads. 

guess it’s a testament to the craftsmanship of the masks since people are willing and do wait that long. Like you said too you can get a lot of stuff custom on the mask at a great price point. I would order one and probably forget it did until it showed up one day.  

Are the wait time last usually that long? I need a mask soon and would love to get a custom fitted mask. Right now I’m looking at an OTNY but it’s more expensive and less customizable than protech. 

My current mask after a shot...
8ECC9191-B089-44CC-9A85-14C2A528CB45.thumb.jpeg.10bf7949d9907852ad8cf2df8824d6f5.jpeg

On 4/27/2020 at 7:34 PM, Quadzilla32 said:

Don’t get me wrong I’ve heard nothing but great things and I'm always hearing people recommend them it just seems soooo long. I can barely stand waiting for 8-10 weeks for pads. 

guess it’s a testament to the craftsmanship of the masks since people are willing and do wait that long. Like you said too you can get a lot of stuff custom on the mask at a great price point. I would order one and probably forget it did until it showed up one day.  

Are the wait time last usually that long? I need a mask soon and would love to get a custom fitted mask. Right now I’m looking at an OTNY but it’s more expensive and less customizable than protech. 

My current mask after a shot...
8ECC9191-B089-44CC-9A85-14C2A528CB45.thumb.jpeg.10bf7949d9907852ad8cf2df8824d6f5.jpeg

The wait times are long and only getting longer. My wait was around 9 months total. As far as was it worth the wait, I will say yes as I have had a hard time finding a mask that fits me properly. I put my Protechsport on, and it had no wobble and felt glued to my head.

In terms of protection, I took a slapshot to the head from a former college player first time out from the top of the circle no ringing whatsoever. 

Got my full Kelar mask from Michel back in 2006 and other than a couple of paint jobs and foam replacements, i have never thought about replacing it.  Same can't be said about any other bit of kit i have owned or own.

Yes it was a long wait but waiting 30 weeks or whatever it is to have for the rest of the time i play hockey is worth it in my opinion. 

Even got my wife a Fibreglass/Kevlar mask when she took up the position.  Wouldn't wear anything else.

Thats not to say other masks aren't worth it/as good as a Protechsport but for me, Michel's quality, service and price point can't be beaten in my opinion

22 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Pardon my ignorance but are his masks THAT good that people will Waite 6+ months for one? Just seems like a crazy amount of time to wait for something. I see on his website it’s 33 weeks that’s so long to wait. 

He's made masks for some of the biggest names in NHL history. He made masks for Lefebvre in the 80s and 90s, and he'll do almost anything you want in a mask. And his prices are fantastic. For other makers of the same pedigree you're paying a lot more - like Harrison (arguably the godfather to be fair) who is $1800USD for fiberglass only, and Dillon who is $1000USD.

Nobody is going to be playing any time soon so the wait doesn't really matter to me.

18 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

My current mask after a shot...8ECC9191-B089-44CC-9A85-14C2A528CB45.thumb.jpeg.10bf7949d9907852ad8cf2df8824d6f5.jpeg

You could definitely get that repaired in the meantime. Looks like only the outer layer is damaged. I would talk to Shawn at Kustom Composites, he will at least be able to advice on a cost for a repair.

3 hours ago, redrook said:

He's made masks for some of the biggest names in NHL history. He made masks for Lefebvre in the 80s and 90s, and he'll do almost anything you want in a mask. And his prices are fantastic. For other makers of the same pedigree you're paying a lot more - like Harrison (arguably the godfather to be fair) who is $1800USD for fiberglass only, and Dillon who is $1000USD.

Nobody is going to be playing any time soon so the wait doesn't really matter to me.

Echoing other comments here but you can't beat the price when it comes to quality and fit. 

Adding to that, the number of options and styles he offers is worth the wait to get a custom lid. Plus he's just a really nice guy to work with!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm taking the plunge:

FaceMould.thumb.jpg.81138be2987d25c89bfd2c7d4857823d.jpg

Don't know why it's bulging on the right side there....

Also has anyone ever given Michel their own cage to fit the mask? There are some cheaters that I like that I don't think Michel has from Sportmask and Warwick that I might want to send to him.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:12 AM, havok said:

I was able to get this used yesterday.

A bit of nostalgia for me

I've owned a Protechsport since 2011

Best customer service ever from Michel

ad_1588790266156.jpg

I just bought the same mask last week. If you just sold this its likely literally  the same mask.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:18 PM, TitanG said:

I'm taking the plunge:

FaceMould.thumb.jpg.81138be2987d25c89bfd2c7d4857823d.jpg

Don't know why it's bulging on the right side there....

Also has anyone ever given Michel their own cage to fit the mask? There are some cheaters that I like that I don't think Michel has from Sportmask and Warwick that I might want to send to him.

Yes, he is putting a ccm cage on my mask. I get it in august.

14 hours ago, conn6r said:

Yes, he is putting a ccm cage on my mask. I get it in august.

Thanks for the info. I might try to get him to fit a Sportmask cheater cage on it (I like the openings better) and I know that a CCM cage can fit on those (someone on here once showed that), so he could likely make it work.

Edit: Found the post:

On 12/28/2017 at 12:26 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

Here’s a pic of the CCM cage on my Mage RS (medium):

06B99096-70D0-4D3E-BA05-480DD5A1F453.thumb.jpeg.8baf6ea64456a9d5df6543b90458b618.jpeg

Edited by TitanG

10 hours ago, TitanG said:

Thanks for the info. I might try to get him to fit a Sportmask cheater cage on it (I like the openings better) and I know that a CCM cage can fit on those (someone on here once showed that), so he could likely make it work.

ccm cages also have 3 sizes. It would probably be worth finding out what size it is. The one I sent was a M/L.

13 hours ago, TitanG said:

Please let me know how that goes. I'd like to do the same. Do you know where he gets his cheater cages from?

7 hours ago, conn6r said:

ccm cages also have 3 sizes. It would probably be worth finding out what size it is. The one I sent was a M/L.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I’ll have to send him the cage measurements.

5 hours ago, OceanMon said:

Please let me know how that goes. I'd like to do the same. Do you know where he gets his cheater cages from?

I’m not sure where he gets his cages.

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I’ll have to send him the cage measurements.

I’m not sure where he gets his cages.

I'm sure he can do it with any cage you'd like but its better to be safe than sorry

I've overlayed the Sportmask cheater cage in blue over the Otny cheater cage in silver.

Looks like the bars just to the outer side of your eyes are further to the side for the Otny.  Obviously the center bars are wider apart on the Otny.  However, I put up a couple of chopsticks where I suspect the Otny center bars will be and I didn't find it to be in the vision at all.

The lowest horizontal bar for the Otny looks lower as well, providing a less concentrated lower area.

If I don't like it, I'll just buy Sportmask cage and replace.  The Otny cage comes with stainless steel clips and screws, and neoprene washers....so it seems to be great quality.

image.png.3a8bdadd245faf6132bb70d4fc8ec0e5.png

20 hours ago, OceanMon said:

I contacted him.  He uses Otny cages.  I decided to roll with that.

20 hours ago, OceanMon said:

I've overlayed the Sportmask cheater cage in blue over the Otny cheater cage in silver.

Looks like the bars just to the outer side of your eyes are further to the side for the Otny.  Obviously the center bars are wider apart on the Otny.  However, I put up a couple of chopsticks where I suspect the Otny center bars will be and I didn't find it to be in the vision at all.

The lowest horizontal bar for the Otny looks lower as well, providing a less concentrated lower area.

If I don't like it, I'll just buy Sportmask cage and replace.  The Otny cage comes with stainless steel clips and screws, and neoprene washers....so it seems to be great quality.

image.png.3a8bdadd245faf6132bb70d4fc8ec0e5.png

OTNY and Sportmask are now one company, so maybe he could get access to them? Also, I'm not sure that any Sportmask cage would fit without drilling new holes or having some fit issues, though as we saw the current CCM cages (which look similar to some Protechsport cages) fit on the Sportmask Mage. 

I haven't made my final decision yet if I'll go with a Sportmask cage or a standard one, I'm sure I'll enjoy the mask either way. I'm just waiting for him to receive my mold so that I can see what size window he can fit on their (I prefer as large as possible), then decide on the cage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 6:33 PM, hamelingraphix@hotmail.com said:

I've been looking for Michel's email, his old one doesn't work anymore?

Anybody know the new address?

I think either protechsport@gmail.com works but for sure m.doganieri@outlook.fr works.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 6:06 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

For those who have recently been in contact with him, has he provided his most up to date waiting period?

When I placed my order about a month ago, he said 35-38 weeks, partially because he’s been getting a couple of orders per week.

Edited by TitanG

• 1 month later...