Protechsport Mask Thread

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

Actually- Protechsport does not use VN foam like the traditional. McMaster-Carr sells the softer stuff.

What do they use then? 

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

I feel like that would feel slimy and not hold to your face well once you start sweating.

Nope, it's fantastic. Very very comfortable. I tried Maltese and ended up ripping it out because I found the stock padding more comfortable. 

My player helmet has the same stuff in it (Bauer Re-Akt). 

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

What do they use then? 

Nope, it's fantastic. Very very comfortable. I tried Maltese and ended up ripping it out because I found the stock padding more comfortable. 

My player helmet has the same stuff in it (Bauer Re-Akt). 

I have to ask; Shawn Schroeder used a similar foam (or the same). It is much softer and not nearly as stiff as VN. When I get the masque, I will compare, then confirm. Then I will ask what is used. 

On 9/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, cwarnar said:

They offer Rubatex or EVA... Rubatex is the tan stuff while EVA is black

Rubatex might be okay. Ever since the Profile XPM series started I would consider those as well. The Concept was the most comfortable mask I've ever put on, but was out of my price range.

If any of the custom mask makers use something similar that would be awesome. I just can't do the foams the old Profile series used (or any CCM or any Vaughn mask for that matter).

Anyway, I really didn't mean to derail the thread. Back on topic! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm curious what kind of foam Pro's Choice uses.  My foam never gets hard.  It is always soft and supple.  I think I went something like 4 years before I decided to get it repadded but it was still as soft as day 1.

Just looking on Dom's site, looks like Rubatex... Pic is from @Beccaraptor PAW 

instockfoam14small.jpg

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'd love to go with another mask maker (especially custom) but I can't stand traditional mask foam. I've tried Maltese and didn't like that either (aside from the chin sling). So, I'm stuck with Bauer NME. *shrug*

FYI the Protechsport masks come with a black foam - very subtle and confortable. I however thought it probably was too soft and changed out my sons mask into a Maltese slightly denser material but a lot better than the beige stuff Bauer had in their 961 models which was like cement.

If my son changes mask it will be another Protechsport with a hybrid Maltese/Protechsport foam - Maltese against the mask and Michelle's black foam against his nogen 

3 hours ago, Big2 said:

FYI the Protechsport masks come with a black foam - very subtle and confortable. I however thought it probably was too soft and changed out my sons mask into a Maltese slightly denser material but a lot better than the beige stuff Bauer had in their 961 models which was like cement.

If my son changes mask it will be another Protechsport with a hybrid Maltese/Protechsport foam - Maltese against the mask and Michelle's black foam against his nogen 

That's a great point. The foam Michel uses is very soft and molds to you body. It's much different against your face than standard foam. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to be in Montréal this weekend, and I was debating stopping by Michel's shop to get fitted molded for a Protechsport. I've always wanted one, and who knows how long Michel will be making them. It's one of those things that I would absolutely kick myself over if I were to lose my chance to have one.

I was just in the middle of emailing him about stopping by, but I wanted to come here first and see what the protocol was. Does he work weekends? Does he create molds for customers, or is that something you're supposed to handle yourself? I just don't want to be inconsiderate and write him an email asking if I can come by and have him do a mold if that's not how things work, etc.

Please let me know, thanks!