Aquilzz's True 2 Piece (Vertexx Edge Holders) Skate Review

Aquilzz

Hello all!

I know what you're thinking...we already have a lot of reviews on the True 2 piece skates (yet none on the 1 piece). But in my opinion, with a product as important as a skate and the inability to try them on, we need as many reviews as possible. After all, nothing can impact your game more than an ill-fitting skate. It affects your comfort, motion and speed. Plus if you are as picky as me, it is next to impossible to buy something without demoing/extensive testing in store.

I have put about two dozen ice times on them by now. While I don't think this is a high enough usage time to truly review most equipment, I believe it is for skates since you are on them, and using them 100% of the time.

For this review, I will break it down into five separate categories: Comfort, Fit, Performance, Features and Quality/Price

IMG_2049.thumb.JPG.578f3e580e4268a0b867ef1a12c32dfd.JPGIMG_2050.thumb.JPG.82652877cbfe846fa7fd30790ba299ef.JPG

Comfort

This is probably the most important category when it comes to considering the True skate. As we all know, it is a custom skate built off a scan/tracing built to the specifications of your foot. This is especially comforting (pun 100% intended) when you have a weird foot like myself. I have skinny heels, a very wide forefoot and an incredibly low arch. But this isn't all...I have an EXTREMELY pronounced inner ankle bone. This has made finding a comfortable skate nearly impossible for me. Aside from a very old pair of Nike Bauer One95s that lasted me for years, every skate I have ever owned either fit too big or caused pain in the ankle and/or forefoot. 

At first sight, you can literally see the boot shaped to your foot. In this next pic, you can see the extra space for my inner ankle. It was hard to get on camera, but it is very noticeable in person. You can also see my arch and space for my forefoot but I was unable to really get a good pic of those for this review. But believe me, it's there.

IMG_2063.thumb.JPG.3a230a0adcf03e2db5d56e512fdf1872.JPG

There is no denying that this skate is hands down the most comfortable skate I have ever been in. There was zero need to punch out any areas, and everything lines up perfectly where they should be. 

I was stubborn at first and used my Superfeet insoles. Superfeet have always been a lifesaver because of my low arches. Before then, I would be uncomfortable and stand pronated (bad). But after asking in the True threads about insoles and the opinions of some users, I decided to give the stock footbeds a try. Happy to say the stock footbeds work just as well as my Superfeet! Plus, the True footbeds are softer (and more comfortable). I would like to try to cut the red footbed at the arch as I have seen Scott do on True's Youtube page, but I have not (more on this in features). If you are stubborn like me and are reluctant to switch, give the stock footbeds a try. You won't be disappointed!

One problem I had with comfort is that the right skate was made a bit too short in my opinion. The toe of the skate has some nice, soft padding which is nice, but I feel like my big toe and second toe (what is it actually called :p) were pressing up with it too much. To solve this, I compressed the padding a bit and it was a relatively easy solution. My left foot is a tad bit smaller, so I had no problem with this at all. I can see how some people would like this, but I like a little bit of wiggle room in my toe box. 

Fit

Now, I've been raving about the comfort, so that means they should fit perfectly as well right? Spoilers: yes they do but it has actually taken a lot of trial and error to find the right fit. 

It all started after the first bake. It baked so well that the eyelets "cuffed" in. Not only did this make it way too tight in the ankles, but it severely limited my forward flex for my stance as well (I have a very aggressive/deep stance). Not to mentioned, it made getting in and out of the skate very troubling and PAINFUL (as my ankles would have to be forced in). Getting them re-baked and rolling out the eyelets fixed this issue, but it is certainly something to note.

My aggressive stance: (keep in mind, this is from a semi-far away shot...I get deeper in my stance if its closer). I will try to find a pic for reference and edit later.

IMG_1810.thumb.JPG.f5c46c0d06c44e03e0905fbe7bd7ebfe.JPG

Eyelet cuff before below... (after pic is at the beginning of the review)

IMG_1940.thumb.JPG.79d7d3690b6348f8e401c4d352a2cefb.JPG

Another problem I had with finding the fit was something as simple as lacing the skate! My old strategy for lacing made the skate WAY too tight in the ankles (actually a good thing as you don't have to crank down the eyelets). But there had to be a middle ground, because if I tied them too loosely, my foot would be "wobbly" and therefore not sturdy in the boot, and I would have heel slippage. The heel slipping wouldn't be as noticeable in the True boot as there is a built in heel pocket as opposed to other skates, but I still had the problem. Keep in mind, I like to feel REALLY connected to my skate and love them to be tight. The funny part is, I have to use these skates barefoot now because I couldn't find a pair of socks that wouldn't compromise the fit.

Here's how I cured the lacing problem. Step 1 was waxed laces. Now I know what you're thinking..."waxed laces for a custom made boot?!" and I thought the same thing. But they have made a huge difference for me. They don't loosen up when moving up eyelets or during play, and I can feel snug without having to tie them tight. 

Step 2, my new lacing method. I still lace them up normally all the way up (pic 1 below), but an important thing I have to do is flex my knee to the toe of the skate while I am tying them (pic 2 below). This keeps me secure in the ankles/heel but also give me my aggressive stance back.

1. IMG_2052.thumb.JPG.5a3b292be1bdc595afc8b7fbe87775e1.JPG

2. IMG_2053.thumb.JPG.257921b6e2c5de8fb05505cdbe18d730.JPG

So here is how I lace my skates from top to bottom:

"Loose" means zero tension on eyelets

"Snug" means minimal tension on eyelets. Like loose with an extra pull.

"Tight" means full tension on eyelets. Obviously not my full strength, but noticeably tighter than snug.
IMG_2054.thumb.JPG.e814d4585c326dc77e60874c89265a54.JPG

A third thing about fit is the adjustable tongue. It is a great idea in concept. You can adjust it lower/higher because it is on a velcro strip. I prefer to keep my tongue in line with the velcro strip, so there is no under/overhang. I consider this the "middle ground" or the best of both worlds. It keeps room in the toe box which I like, but is snug on the rest of my foot and does not inhibit flex.

Performance:

This is going to be a short section because I don't have TOO much to say. 

After I got the fit/lacing down (especially for my stance and movements), they have performed great! They are an extremely stiff boot, but coming from a 1S and 1X skate, it has a similar(ish) feel to Curv Composite boots. Not sure about CCM, as I have never been in a CCM skate. However, if you are coming from a non-composite boot, it's going to be a huge adjustment. 

In fact, I feel like they are a tad TOO stiff. Whereas the Supreme boot has an "anatomical" top, and the 1X has a flexible rubber-esque ankle top, it's clear that the True skates are just a reinforced player boot with no tendon guard. As players are a forward-back type of stride, side to side flex isn't as important to them. But it is for goalies...it's almost our entire game! I would really like to see a better design for this regarding their goalie models. It is certainly something that I have gotten used to, but I don't feel like that's something that should take adjusting.

When it comes to protection, I have had ZERO issues. When first ordering, I was worried the toes would not be reinforced well enough as they don't appear like they would be. We all make those saves where we really have to stretch our legs on a shot going wider than anticipated, one timers, tips, etc that hit our skate instead of our pads. I am super happy and now feel 110% confident I can take an accidental shot off the toes and be fine. 

In terms of weight, when looking at demo skates at the store, these skates feel noticeably heavier than other goalie skates. But let's be honest, cowlingless skates just became a thing last year and these things are no more heavier than a skate with a cowling. I also don't think weight is a huge factor for a goalie skate vs a player skate. Another thing to note, is that these skates fit so well, I barely notice the excess weight.

I can only comment on the performance of the boot, however as that is all I purchased. I am not a big fan of the Step VH holder and I think Tydan blades perform better than Step Steel after trying both. I also think the Vertexx Edge holder is perfect for a cowling less skate in terms of weight, feel and ease of access. Although this is not a Tydan DLC review, I cannot recommend them enough. I can go weeks between sharpenings despite playing 5-6x per week.

The only problem is the heat from a sharpening can take off the coating fairly easily. And I trust my pro shop guy, so this was not fully user error (although humans aren't always perfect).

IMG_2065.thumb.JPG.4a3d7651f84e2179427cd6897d6433e4.JPG

Features:

Let me just say this: I DO NOT like the velcro tongue. It likes to detach when putting the skate on and it takes an extra step of adjustment when putting the skates on to make sure the tongue is fitting right. I would certainly like to see the option to have the tongue permanently affixed as an option, or for True/VH to lace it in or use a higher strength velcro. After all, once you have it where you like it, it doesn't need to be removed. So why is it so easy to remove it?

The Lundy Loop is a very nice add, and I am happy to see it is a big loop to make feeing straps through easier if you like to do that.

For a custom skate, there is surprisingly limited features one is able to get. 

As mentioned, I ordered boot only and put different holders/runners on so that was a nice custom option. It's very nice that they will drill holes for you preferred holder.

When ordering the skates, there are only four different custom options: Colour of the quarter package, embroidery and normal/reinforced and white or black felt tongue.

The colours and embroidery are $25 a piece and are no means a performance changer, just a nice to have vs a need to have. Neither is the tongue unless you have lacebite issues as goalies already have pads on to protect that area.

As mentioned above, I would like to see the option to have the tongue permanently affixed. I believe this could be implemented easily. 

I would also like to see an extra red footbed included with the skate. With how Scott preaches how important the red footbed is, and the ability to add one/cut out a piece for the arch, I think this is a very minor cost that can have a positive affect.

Another idea would be to have an upper "stiffness profile". The achilles area has a very soft/flexible material and I would like to see an option to get the top part of the skate wrapped around with this material for the top maybe 1/4-1/2" or so.

IMG_2066.thumb.JPG.7b5c244b0c43dea0708e549af4527137.JPG

That's about all I can think of for features, but would love to hear more ideas as well.

Quality/Price

Finally the last part of my review! Has anyone made it this far? :) 

First I will talk about price as it's easy. The boots cost me $699 CDN (plus $50 CDN for embroidery and colour). The compete 2 piece costs $849CDN. This is incredibly reasonable considering this cost is in the same category as other top end skates. Not to mention, these are custom and are made in Canada. In fact, it's a great price. 

The box it comes in is also bar-none the best box I have ever received. I have it on display! How many boxes can we say that about? And I use the drawstring bag in my hockey bag to protect my skates from anything that may damage them/vice versa. 

While I agree with the upcharge for embroidery (as it's more material and an extra step), I don't think colours should also be an upcharge. It's not like it's adding extra material or time...as it's literally just a colour change. Does white/red/etc cost more? I doubt it. But this is my opinion...I think the colours look way better than just the black and it is a negligible amount of money considering the cost of the skate. And by no means is it necessary! Just my opinion.

When it comes to quality and quality assurance, I do have a few issues.

1. There is excess glue in places that do make the skates look a bit cheap in my opinion. While I understand these are handmade, I do think when you're at the top end price point, this needs to be fixed. By no means does this affect performance or durability (so far), it does look bad. There are more than two spots as the pics would suggest as well.

IMG_2069.thumb.JPG.28fdd9ebf5f3345c5327a4f5d4f3dc85.JPGIMG_2067.thumb.JPG.aef0032253c457d5c42ea0ff94959f99.JPG

2. This is no biggie by ANY means, but the laces that came with the skates were hilariously long. Even a triple knot would still cause them to land on the ice if they came untucked from my hockey socks. The guy I ordered from says he's seen laces that have come hilariously long like mine and too short in other cases. I would like to see True actually send laces that are appropriately sized. It's not a difficult thing to do. No pic, as I quickly changed them out. 

3. My order was actually messed up. I had ordered the black felt tongue, but obviously received the white. I don't really care about this either, as I only picked black because I was told it was the "standard option", but True/VH needs to double check these things.

Luckily, for me it was just the felt colour/laces/glue excess and not something major like an imperfection/wrong embroidery/eyelet colour. But they need to be on top of this. If this was a goalie pad, I would be upset. 

IMG_2051.thumb.JPG.7ad9e8673a547ec8d7cd1a9d9f9e8ea4.JPG

Conclusion

To be honest, I cannot rate these skates on a scale of 1-10. But I can say that if you're experiencing any foot pain in off the shelf skates or cannot fit into an appropriate size, I cannot recommend these skates enough. I can be on these things for hours and my foot still thinks they're my fluffy slippers. 

TL;DR: Great skate that has its quirks and has made my goaltending a much more comfortable experience. 

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for viewing!

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

19 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Nice write up with some good insight into these skates. 

One suggestion - if you want to permanently attach the tongues, it’s very easy to do with a Speedy Stitcher (just sew down the existing Velcro). 

That's a good idea! I've been wanting to get a Speedy Stitcher for a while now. My original plan was just to use fabric glue, or buy some industrial strength velcro to secure it.

2 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

That's a good idea! I've been wanting to get a Speedy Stitcher for a while now. My original plan was just to use fabric glue, or buy some industrial strength velcro to secure it.

The nice thing about using the speedy stitcher is that you can easily undo it with a seam ripper if necessary. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job with the review!

It's enlightening to see how others tie their skates.  I've always cranked down on mine all the way to the top.

I saw a pair of Bernier skates at the Anaheim sale last year. He actually had his EQM sew or glue the hook side of a velcro strip around the top of the ankle.  Presumably, he'd wrap some kind of strap that was made of the loop side of the velcro around to keep his ankles even tighter (the strap was missing).  Wish I snapped a pic.

The removable tongues trigger my OCD when it comes to symmetry across both sides.  It's annoying.

I got really worried during the baking process.  The guys stuck my skates in the oven so long, and the boots were crazy pliable when they came out...but after the temp came back down, they were super stiff again.

• 3 weeks later...

Good review @Aquilzz

Your insight about the ankle area / cut of the skate in combo with the stiffness is something I’ve heard some very quiet scuttle butt about. 

There’s a group of educated people around the industry that are questioning how good that design is.

People are raving about the comfort, but is there an intended consequence of the design?

Similarly to people trying to notice if there’s any correlation between concussions and the model of mask used, they’re tracking groin and hip injuries to see if certain skates seem to present a trend. 

On 4/12/2018 at 6:45 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

The nice thing about using the speedy stitcher is that you can easily undo it with a seam ripper if necessary. 

So I've had a speedy stitcher in my Amazon cart for a while to sew in the tongues...is it easy to use? Also want to try to shorten my V7 XF c/a arms using it. Ive done it before by sewing in dental floss, but that tends to loosen after a while.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:37 AM, Chenner29 said:

Nice job with the review!

It's enlightening to see how others tie their skates.  I've always cranked down on mine all the way to the top.

I saw a pair of Bernier skates at the Anaheim sale last year. He actually had his EQM sew or glue the hook side of a velcro strip around the top of the ankle.  Presumably, he'd wrap some kind of strap that was made of the loop side of the velcro around to keep his ankles even tighter (the strap was missing).  Wish I snapped a pic.

The removable tongues trigger my OCD when it comes to symmetry across both sides.  It's annoying.

I got really worried during the baking process.  The guys stuck my skates in the oven so long, and the boots were crazy pliable when they came out...but after the temp came back down, they were super stiff again.

I probably spend the same amount of time making sure the tongue is perfect than I do with lacing the skates! 

22 hours ago, Imperative said:

Best write up I have seen on ththe we skates!!

Thanks! Wanted to be as in depth as possible considering there's no way to demo these before buying.

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Good review @Aquilzz

Your insight about the ankle area / cut of the skate in combo with the stiffness is something I’ve heard some very quiet scuttle butt about. 

There’s a group of educated people around the industry that are questioning how good that design is.

People are raving about the comfort, but is there an intended consequence of the design?

Similarly to people trying to notice if there’s any correlation between concussions and the model of mask used, they’re tracking groin and hip injuries to see if certain skates seem to present a trend. 

Yeah, I do think they need to make a better, goalie specific design. Knock on wood, I haven't had any injuries since having the skates, but I do feel a "digging" sensation above the ankles...nothing painful by any means, but I think it's a byproduct of goalies and players having different kinds of movements. I figure it's just something to get used to considering how good the fit is and how popular they've become with professionals.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a follow up question for you. I have the old VH boots with Bauer vertexx cowling 3mm step steel in it, I sharpen to 3/8” and I get the “Bauer howl” especially after a fresh sharpen. With the 3mm steel in your Bauer holder, I have two questions what do you sharpen too and do you get the “howl” with them? Thanks

18 minutes ago, Imperative said:

I have a follow up question for you. I have the old VH boots with Bauer vertexx cowling 3mm step steel in it, I sharpen to 3/8” and I get the “Bauer howl” especially after a fresh sharpen. With the 3mm steel in your Bauer holder, I have two questions what do you sharpen too and do you get the “howl” with them? Thanks 

I can help with this as I have the same setup as @Aquilzz (True boot, Vertexx Edge holder)

I have not had my skates screech (using both Bauer stock and Tydan steel).  I used to get cut to 3/8 but recently dialed down slightly to a 7/16.

15 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I can help with this as I have the same setup as @Aquilzz (True boot, Vertexx Edge holder)

I have not had my skates screech (using both Bauer stock and Tydan steel).  I used to get cut to 3/8 but recently dialed down slightly to a 7/16.

Another question, I found going 3/8” with 3mm I needed to sharpen every 2-3 skates, how long does a typical sharpen last with the tydan steel? 

12 minutes ago, Imperative said:

Another question, I found going 3/8” with 3mm I needed to sharpen every 2-3 skates, how long does a typical sharpen last with the tydan steel? 

Sure thing.
I found myself going from sharpening every 2-3 skates up to 5-6, I could probably push it to 7-8 depending how much edge work or post play I'm doing.
I might go down to 1/2 radius because I'm really liking how my edges feel at 3-4 skates in.

On 4/12/2018 at 4:09 PM, Aquilzz said:

I used a dime size of the glue included in the maltese kit and its stayed on well. though, when working on rivets the tongue being remove-able is a god send because of how damn tiny these are. 
I too had the laces curl in after my first bake and took a heat gun to them at my shop.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:42 AM, Imperative said:

As @Chenner29 said, no problems with the "Bauer howl"...I thought they solved that problem with the Vertexx edge holders. 

I sharpen to 7/16. 

22 hours ago, Imperative said:

I can go on average about 5-6 skates before I feel like the edges are completely dead. The DLC blades hold their edge EXTREMELY well and I rarely lose an edge if I slide into a post.

1 hour ago, Aquilzz said:

As @Chenner29 said, no problems with the "Bauer howl"...I thought they solved that problem with the Vertexx edge holders. 

I sharpen to 7/16. 

I can go on average about 5-6 skates before I feel like the edges are completely dead. The DLC blades hold their edge EXTREMELY well and I rarely lose an edge if I slide into a post.

Twinsies!

UPDATE:

Switched to a pair of Superfeet Carbon Pro (the hockey specific ones) along with the red insole. While it's true that the arch is built to your foot in the skates, I felt like it still didn't get enough support for those who want to feel 100% connected to your footbed. It wasn't a pain issue, it was a feel issue. The red insole is still there because I love a tight skate, and it definitely causes the boot to feel more snug. 

The lacing method has changed as well, but I am still experimenting with it and don't want to give my opinion if I am not fully committed.

11 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

UPDATE:

Switched to a pair of Superfeet Carbon Pro (the hockey specific ones) along with the red insole. While it's true that the arch is built to your foot in the skates, I felt like it still didn't get enough support for those who want to feel 100% connected to your footbed. It wasn't a pain issue, it was a feel issue. The red insole is still there because I love a tight skate, and it definitely causes the boot to feel more snug. 

The lacing method has changed as well, but I am still experimenting with it and don't want to give my opinion if I am not fully committed. 

Have you skated on them with the Carbon insole?

The reason why I ask is because Superfeet is having a 20% off sale right now and I'd pick them up if feedback is good.

I've got some D30 footbeds generously sent to me by @BauerHockey47 but I'm always looking to try new things.

9 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

The reason why I ask is because Superfeet is having a 20% off sale right now and I'd pick them up if feedback is good.

I've got some D30 footbeds generously sent to me by @BauerHockey47 but I'm always looking to try new things.

Yep, been in them about 5 or 6 skates with the Carbon insole. They're really good for people with low-no arch, but I don't see them helping with high arches.  

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I love Superfeet. Have used them for years in both player and goalie skates. My feet are super flat and I need the support. 

On 5/30/2018 at 1:03 AM, Aquilzz said:

Yep, been in them about 5 or 6 skates with the Carbon insole. They're really good for people with low-no arch, but I don't see them helping with high arches.  

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I love Superfeet. Have used them for years in both player and goalie skates. My feet are super flat and I need the support. 

Did you ever correct your tongue issue I played around with mine and found that I liked it all the way down with the end on top of my toes and it doesn’t move so curious how yours is moving but with it in this position I get my toes tight forefoot loose and last 4 eyelets tight to keep my ankle from moving and I feel so much faster in these skates with this tongue and lace set up it plants my toes and locks my heels I’m incredibly happy with the fit and performance 

30 minutes ago, Bgums13 said:

Did you ever correct your tongue issue I played around with mine and found that I liked it all the way down with the end on top of my toes and it doesn’t move so curious how yours is moving but with it in this position I get my toes tight forefoot loose and last 4 eyelets tight to keep my ankle from moving and I feel so much faster in these skates with this tongue and lace set up it plants my toes and locks my heels I’m incredibly happy with the fit and performance 

I've kept the tongues pretty much the same as it is in the reviews. I've been experimenting with them a little bit before I sew them in. As long as I pay attention to their orientation/placement while lacing, it doesn't move. 

I liked having them all the way down to the toes, but they would always come undone when tying my skates which became super annoying. 

On 5/30/2018 at 12:52 AM, Chenner29 said:

If you're not loving the D30 footbeds (happy to have helped), I highly recommend the Superfeet Carbon Pro's. 

7 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

I've kept the tongues pretty much the same as it is in the reviews. I've been experimenting with them a little bit before I sew them in. As long as I pay attention to their orientation/placement while lacing, it doesn't move. 

I liked having them all the way down to the toes, but they would always come undone when tying my skates which became super annoying. 

That’s odd my tongue doesn’t come undone at all but I’m glad it’s working for you

16 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

If you're not loving the D30 footbeds (happy to have helped), I highly recommend the Superfeet Carbon Pro's. 

I like them; they're a bit thicker than the stock True footbed.  My issue is I've had some arch pain when I do a lot of creasework.

Archived