Brian's Optik C/A

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be at least another skate or two before I write a review, because I need to figure out what adjustments I can make in order to make this CA work for me.  This was not a love at first use experience.  My next attempt at using this CA will be Sunday.  

-steve

17 minutes ago, beansbats said:

It will be at least another skate or two before I write a review, because I need to figure out what adjustments I can make in order to make this CA work for me.  This was not a love at first use experience.  My next attempt at using this CA will be Sunday.  

-steve

Is any first time use of a C/A ever a love at first use?

I'm absolutely loving my R/GT C/A, but man, it took me a good 4 games before I was comfortable enough in it. I hate breaking in new C/A's.

17 minutes ago, beansbats said:

-steve

Interesting. I'm fearful of the same situation on the Passau unit I have on order... so many adjustments might take a while to find the sweet spot. I planned on sewing whatever once I do find it though. Any chance you'll do the same to keep things from moving again?

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Is any first time use of a C/A ever a love at first use?

I'm absolutely loving my R/GT C/A, but man, it took me a good 4 games before I was comfortable enough in it. I hate breaking in new C/A's.

So true.  That is exactly why I'm not going to do the review until I have some additional skates with it.  I was overly optimistic :)

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Interesting. I'm fearful of the same situation on the Passau unit I have on order... so many adjustments might take a while to find the sweet spot. I planned on sewing whatever once I do find it though. Any chance you'll do the same to keep things from moving again?

I am keeping notes of what caused difficulty last night and if a simple stitch or additional mods will make a difference, I am all in.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Bell31 said:

I tried on the new Optik CA and the arms were very difficult to get on. I even loosened up the strapping. Did you have a problem like this? 

Yes, I can see that concern. They don’t just slide on as easily as my old Vaughn

Is anyone cooking up a review of one of these? Ive been looking to get in one of these for half a year or more and it just.. Wont.. Show.. Up... Anywhere..! Stateside I think goalies plus and BTM have them in too small a size. Where else are you lot finding them?

3 hours ago, brennytheball said:

Is anyone cooking up a review of one of these? Ive been looking to get in one of these for half a year or more and it just.. Wont.. Show.. Up... Anywhere..! Stateside I think goalies plus and BTM have them in too small a size. Where else are you lot finding them?

I went through my current retail job at pro hockey life to get a custom one, when it comes in I'm thinking I might do one as it's mostly a stock L with XL arms.

After about 10 skates, I am either going to either sell my Optik CA or slap some Vaughn arms on it and give it another try.  I like the body but I was unable to get the arms to work for me.  The elbows are too tight even after adjustment, and the shoulder on my glove arm would catch no matter the adjustment(s) I made.  Oh well.  Win some / lose some.

-steve

On 7/10/2018 at 10:42 AM, beansbats said:

After about 10 skates, I am either going to either sell my Optik CA or slap some Vaughn arms on it and give it another try.  I like the body but I was unable to get the arms to work for me.  The elbows are too tight even after adjustment, and the shoulder on my glove arm would catch no matter the adjustment(s) I made.  Oh well.  Win some / lose some.

-steve

By "catch" do you mean the floater gets stuck out of your sleeve? also was there any issue with shoulder coverage like Kapz mentioned?

On 7/10/2018 at 10:42 AM, beansbats said:

-steve

This might be the first time I have ever heard someone say they would prefer to have Vaughn arms on their c/a lol.  Doesn't say much for the Optik arms.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:42 AM, BadAngle41 said:

I didn't find that.  I found my Passau good out of the box and there were very minor tweaks to make.  No sewing needed.  But I'm low maintenance. Once I find something that is comfortable, I don't go beyond to see if something is "optimal".  i never mod my gear or order custom stuff (other than my Passau glove that I wanted bigger than NHL spec because, hey, it's beer league)

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This might be the first time I have ever heard someone say they would prefer to have Vaughn arms on their c/a lol.  Doesn't say much for the Optik arms.

Sub Z 3 arms sucked pretty badly for me; grafted on Warrior arms and it was a world changer for me.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:54 PM, brennytheball said:

Don't have enough skates in yet to do anything formal. 

General thoughts:

Good design, feels well protected, streamlined but not exposed felling, and hugs the body well

Only things that people might not like? It's not "heavy", but it's not the lightest unit on the market. Arms work well, but require some break it. Again, that's not a major red flag... it's just NOT as "game ready" out of the box as some other units. Depends on if that matters to you or not. 

Overall, I think people should be happy with this unit. 

• 2 months later...

So I've only had it for a couple of weeks, and I guess what youre after is how fixed in position they are..? The floaters are adjustable as they're velcro'd at the back but there are two short bits of elastic keeping them in place. I'm not sure how I would characterize the "feel" other than that they aren't as floaty as my last unit.

As for bulkiness, I'm still sorting out having the unit lift up whenever I bend at the waist, but its much improved from the first skate. The extra padding they have on the wrist area does interfere with my lefevre 1 piece glove cuff. I do have a bit of interference with the chin on my CCM bucket and I've had to cut a piece of foam from the rib wrap around because it dug into my armpit.

My other issues with the unit are the weight relative to my old zero-g and the absence of x-static liner in the arms relative to sz3 that I almost purchased. All that said, I'm satisfied with the optik ca and expect it to get even better with time. Should get 5-10 years out of it.

Archived