Vaughn Gear

TheGoalNet

On 3/5/2018 at 2:09 PM, Mikesch said:

I just ordered a pair of CCM 13A pro return pants and my Brown chesty is less than two seasons old, but still I must ask:

Has anyone here ordered custom Vaughn pants or a chesty? I'm intrigued to get pro spec models for both at some point in the future. Would love to hear about options, pricing, recommendations on how to order, etc. Maybe at Vaughn directly?

Thanks for your inputs.

A retailer will be able to answer all of those questions for you.  Vaughn does not deal directly with end users.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

A retailer will be able to answer all of those questions for you.  Vaughn does not deal directly with end users.

Not entirely true.  I have had many email conversations with both Mike Vaughn and Glenn Miller.  Not to mention Brent Woods was a very active member of the GSBB before that went to shit.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not entirely true.  I have had many email conversations with both Mike Vaughn and Glenn Miller.  Not to mention Brent Woods was a very active member of the GSBB before that went to shit.  

@Mikesch While I have had a sales rep answer my general inquiries to the Vaughn website, and got my demo SLRs through that process, their party line is that they won't do actual orders through average joe end users.  So mileage may vary on that one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

@Mikesch While I have had a sales rep answer my general inquiries to the Vaughn website, and got my demo SLRs through that process, their party line is that they won't do actual orders through average joe end users.  So mileage may vary on that one.

No, they won't take orders from non retailers, that is correct.  That was not his question though, he asked about options for pricing and options for ordering something that, as far as I know, hasn't hit retail yet.

• Like 1

So my hockey shop called me back after getting in touch with the Vaughn rep about the $ cost of getting the iceberg graphic on V8s.

It turns out the rep mixed up their information and Vaughn actually won't make the V8s with the iceberg graphic.

Cried myself to sleep.

Just thought I'd let anyone know who is curious.

2 minutes ago, Towelette said:

So my hockey shop called me back after getting in touch with the Vaughn rep about the $ cost of getting the iceberg graphic on V8s.

It turns out the rep mixed up their information and Vaughn actually won't make the V8s with the iceberg graphic.

Cried myself to sleep.

I know a college goalie who was told he had to wear the PVE graphic to get the PVE pad, no retro or custom 

10 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

VE8 gear ordered! Would love to be the reviewer if this forum needs one when I get them. I may not post a lot but I sure do lurk the threads a lot ;) 

My custom additions are also a secret until then :P

Even if there are 6 reviews on the site before you get to it, we'd love another one.

Different viewpoints are fantastic for people doing their research.

Mine should be here in the next 2 weeks. Will post plenty of pictures and will keep a running update on how everything performs/feels.

@ULTIMA I havn't seen anyone in the NHL wearing them (don't follow AHL) yet. Personally, I didn't mind the graphic but didn't really like it either. What I DON'T like is the VE8 logo. Personally, it looks stupid.

5 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Are no goaltenders in the National Hockey League (or AHL) wearing the Velocity 8 gear? And if they are, is the graphic that bad where no one has even that?

Jared Coreau switched recently 

D7851801-907E-4804-AF5F-40C6810FBBDE.jpeg

6 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Are no goaltenders in the National Hockey League (or AHL) wearing the Velocity 8 gear? And if they are, is the graphic that bad where no one has even that?

Chad Johnson was also spotted in the VE8 gloves recently, but not pads yet. (saw on IG, didn't bother screencapping)

Edited by Mroy31

Actually, now that I think about it, the Vaughn rep who I got that demo set of SLR's from said that he preferred the SLR's to the VE8's when I noticed them in the back of his car.  Will be interesting to see how/if they catch on

On 09/03/2018 at 7:46 PM, Towelette said:

Cried myself to sleep.

Just thought Id update you all and let you know that I have been told from my local retailer that Vaughn will eventually release the V8 in the iceberg graphic a year after their launch (April 2019).

Also, to get iceberg on V7 pads and gloves costs $425 Canadian.

Edited by Towelette

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're kidding...

What's Brian's upcharge on their custom gear? Nothing crazy like the Optik-pus, but an additional minor tweak for an old, simple graphic?

I was quoted at $400 CDN to go a Heritage graphic on an Optik set.

15 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Actually, now that I think about it, the Vaughn rep who I got that demo set of SLR's from said that he preferred the SLR's to the VE8's when I noticed them in the back of his car.  Will be interesting to see how/if they catch on

I think they already have. Statistically speaking, for all the goalies in the National Hockey League wearing Vaughn leg pads, the majority are wearing the Ventus family over all the Velocity series combined! And why not, that leg pad is solid! Dare I say it's better than (if not, the same level as) the CCM Premier.

Edited by ULTIMA

3 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I think they already have. Statistically speaking, for all the goalies in the National Hockey League wearing Vaughn leg pads, the majority are wearing the Ventus family over all the Velocity series combined! And why not, that leg pad is solid! Dare I say it's better than (if not, the same level as) the CCM Premier.

I would define better here?

I’ve seen a pair that were used for 1 season of NCAA and talked to the Goalie using them. I’ve also talked a pro Goalie who gets 3 pairs a seasons 

I saw first hand and both goalies confirmed the pads get drastically softer over time and shrink a little 

When you think about NHL guys converting, it makes complete sense.

The SLR might have been that touch bit stiffer and more consistent than Velo they were looking for. We also don’t know what core is inside the pad’s skin. However, it’s not as stiff or consistent over time compared to CCM. That’s why we see guys switching from other brands to CCM and rarely out of CCM.

I’m not saying SLR is bad, I’ve basically only heard good things from people buying them. But I don’t think it’s the right choice for anyone using CCM now or looking for a pad that might be consistent over 2-3 years of use. 

My GNetiks fell into a similar boat. Awesome pads! But overtime, they got very very soft. They held up well, but I realized I like a stiffer core and hate soft pads. 

Stiff is not stiff across all brands