Vaughn Gear

TheGoalNet

9 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

A couple clarification questions:   Which Kenesky glove were you referring to?   And while i'm not doubting that it works better for you, I'm skeptical of anything I can't try on, so what exactly is superior about it?

Secondly, I've also not been a Velocity guy in the past.  The break has felt off and at least one that I tried on had an awful V closure instead of the U closure I liked on my old Vaughn.  So I know what you're saying about not being a fan of the gloves previously.  But when you say your hand felt cocked forward I'm not sure I'm understanding you.   Do you mean your fingers were in front of the heel of your hand, or that your thumb was ahead of your pinky? 

Thanks for being willing to help me reach a good decision.

I wanna say I have either the 1915 or the 2015.  I told him the 5500 was my old favorite glove and he built something with a similar feel.
Couple reasons why I think it's better -

• Cleaner break than the 5500.  I felt like the 5500 had two breaks, one like the CCM600 and the other like a CCM590.
    • The Kenesky one has a single defined break that feels very natural, slightly more toward the thumb than a CCM600
  • True one piece.  The 9580 that came out a couple years ago was a two piece glove internal with one piece of jenpro covering it.
  • Larger cuff opening in the back.  Better mobility.

For your second question. with the Velocity style glove, I felt my hand is cocked forward ("fingers in front of heel") like I'm palming a basketball.  I get the performance benefits of it, as it puts you in the position to smother the puck from an aerial angle, but it just feels way too unnatural for me.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:35 AM, Chenner29 said:

I wanna say I have either the 1915 or the 2015.  I told him the 5500 was my old favorite glove and he built something with a similar feel.
Couple reasons why I think it's better -

• Cleaner break than the 5500.  I felt like the 5500 had two breaks, one like the CCM600 and the other like a CCM590.
    • The Kenesky one has a single defined break that feels very natural, slightly more toward the thumb than a CCM600
  • True one piece.  The 9580 that came out a couple years ago was a two piece glove internal with one piece of jenpro covering it.
  • Larger cuff opening in the back.  Better mobility.

For your second question. with the Velocity style glove, I felt my hand is cocked forward ("fingers in front of heel") like I'm palming a basketball.  I get the performance benefits of it, as it puts you in the position to smother the puck from an aerial angle, but it just feels way too unnatural for me.

This makes me wanna try one of these gloves if I ever get another set.  Off to check out your Kenesky thread again.

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

That’s sick. Might use that for future setups. I know this sounds weird but how’d you ask for it? The only options I had on goaliemonkey were plain jenpro and weave

I bought them off the shelf at Just Hockey source for sports in Toronto. I didn’t see it on Vaughn’s customizer  so I’m not sure what it’s called. Might be something to contact Vaughn directly for. Or I can shoot an email to the store if you’d like. 

1 hour ago, Matt35 said:

I bought them off the shelf at Just Hockey source for sports in Toronto. I didn’t see it on Vaughn’s customizer  so I’m not sure what it’s called. Might be something to contact Vaughn directly for. Or I can shoot an email to the store if you’d like. 

I mean I could try emailing them except I have no idea what I’m talking about lol, so it might be easier for you to

13 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do tell.  You can pm me or text me if you can't post it.  I promise I don't kiss and tell.

Nothing too crazy to share.  The gear's gonna be nasty (the good kind)

Pads are thinned out with a smaller side roll, overall weight is lighter than Optik.

I'm taking some gear modding/build theories (separate post, still working on putting it together!) I've cobbled together over the past year and have made some requests to change some of the layup of the gear.

6 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Nothing too crazy to share.  The gear's gonna be nasty (the good kind)

Pads are thinned out with a smaller side roll, overall weight is lighter than Optik.

I'm taking some gear modding/build theories (separate post, still working on putting it together!) I've cobbled together over the past year and have made some requests to change some of the layup of the gear.

How far out of production is this new line?

13 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I mean I could try emailing them except I have no idea what I’m talking about lol, so it might be easier for you to

So it turns out it’s actually called Honeycomb. When they order the pads last year Vaughn was running low on the material. I’m told they used it years ago on a set of gear for Kevin Weekes. Might be something you have to contact Vaughn directly for, if they can still get the material.

22170575-94EB-4F04-8EA0-A795E796F849.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt35 said:

So it turns out it’s actually called Honeycomb. When they order the pads last year Vaughn was running low on the material. I’m told they used it years ago on a set of gear for Kevin Weekes. Might be something you have to contact Vaughn directly for, if they can still get the material.

22170575-94EB-4F04-8EA0-A795E796F849.jpeg

Thanks! Might consider it in my future orders.

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Is it on their website?  Let me go look.

No, website is undergoing renovation.  It's still got the old stuff on there.

Here's a snip off their Facebook.

Things that stand out to me:
Thinner core pad, triangular side roll
Downward angled knee block (I'll probably go without this)
Mag-loc straps (I'll go without this as well)
Custom graphic along the calf wrap
Two tone logos

image.thumb.png.6d3d7e27bb182cb46bca003b1a02c739.png

10 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

No, website is undergoing renovation.  It's still got the old stuff on there.

Here's a snip off their Facebook.

Things that stand out to me:
Thinner core pad, triangular side roll
Downward angled knee block (I'll probably go without this)
Mag-loc straps (I'll go without this as well)
Custom graphic along the calf wrap
Two tone logos

Yea that's one of the pictures I saw.  Or at least a picture of that set.  Looks interesting.

Good looking stuff for sure!  

I couldn't bring myself to buy something I couldn't try on though.   I know the VE8 Pro Carbon isn't an exact replacement for the T3500 I was looking for, but Source for Sports had a big sale last week, and with the exchange rate I was able to pick it up for under $400 shipped so I took a chance.   Boy am I glad I did!  For me this thing is a perfect fit.  I was able to get it almost as broken in as my 2 year old Brian's Gnetik II by baking it and working with it for a couple days, and wore it in a game last night.  I had zero popouts (a regular occurance with both Brian's gloves I had worn previously) and pucks just seemed to naturally find the pocket.  As an added bonus, my passing wasn't negatively affected the way it has been in the past when I switched gloves.  I can't recommend this thing highly enough for those who want an old-school Vaughn feel!