Vaughn Gear

TheGoalNet

4 minutes ago, Max27 said:

yeah i like the xf a lot and was thinking of getting a v8. was questioning the wrist strap system for wrist mobility

man there is so much room that you'll have no mobility issues at all.... feels totally free but sturdy due to eh pillow on top of your hand.  Lets just say I'd let the VE8 pro carborn blocker eat crackers in bed any day....  

1 minute ago, Doobiesnax said:

man there is so much room that you'll have no mobility issues at all.... feels totally free but sturdy due to eh pillow on top of your hand.  Lets just say I'd let the VE8 pro carborn blocker eat crackers in bed any day....  

ah nice. im used to the cuffs that have the lace in them which is obviously much different than the one on the v8

Looking on purchasing an entire new set and am a little torn between the Pro V Elite and the VE 8.

Was wondering if anyone had any feedback on either, or perhaps some advantages/disadvantages one might have vs the other?

The glove on the Pro V Elite seems to have an opening around the knuckle area which seems odd.. Anyone using this glove?

Edited by cheddarberg

I used my new Ventus SLR pants last night and I have to say that internal padded belt is great.  I have only ever used Velocity pants and as a smaller guy, 5'11 165 lbs , the SLR pants are great at maximizing the external surface area while still being snug and tight internally.  This was not possible with Velocity pants.

I took advantage of this and while my Velocity pants were always size Small, my SLR pants are size Medium.  Thank you very much internal padded belt.

image.png.df8462ed791115b5b7c6ecd14de4494d.png

Edited by seagoal

1 minute ago, Matt35 said:

I’m using Pro V Elite pads and gloves. Used the pads about 20 times and the gloves 3 times. That pic is definitely the internal strapping. If you have any other questions about them fire away, I’d be happy to answer. So far I’m loving the set!!

Just wondering how soft and flexible this pad really is compared to the VE8....? I find that just by playing with em in store that the VE8 feels a little stiffer, its just so hard to tell without strappin' up and getting on the ice.

Did you go carbon? Not entirely convinced the jump in price is worth it.

41 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

Just wondering how soft and flexible this pad really is compared to the VE8....? I find that just by playing with em in store that the VE8 feels a little stiffer, its just so hard to tell without strappin' up and getting on the ice.

Did you go carbon? Not entirely convinced the jump in price is worth it.

They’re pretty similar in stiffness. The VE8 has a stiffer ankle break. Pads are always a tough buy if you can’t try them on the ice. Definitely try them on in store with skates, knee pads, and pants. 

I did go Carbon. They did seem like they are made a bit better (and made in  Canada!). The regular ones are extremely soft without the Carbon in them. Really just comes down to feel and how long you plan on using them for. I have weave material on the inside to help with sliding and durability. 

I really love the strapping on them. Not a big fan of the magnetic buckles on the VE8’s, and I’ve heard complaints of them coming undone.

I have not heard of any issues with them.  Quite the contrary, actually.

I don't know anyone personally who has them, granted.  Just a bunch of local 14-16 year olds in our junior hockey system around here and they were all loving those buckles. 

I can imagine a situation where a puck hits them directly and then they come undone, but the same could be said of the plastic clips on nylon straps, which happened to me quite a bit.

At this point I'm more concerned about velcro durability than the magnetic clips coming undone from pucks.

I'll have my pads in less than a week and can give first hand accounts then.

8 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

*** I just came across a pair of XF Pro Carbon on clearance for almost the same price as both the PVE and VE8's!

Any thoughts as per comparing these to the PVE/VE8'S ??

V7 to VE8 was a complete overhaul of geometry, straps, and angles.  That'd be a pretty big jump.

V7 is going to be heavier and much more traditional than a VE8.

V7s are great pads, not saying they weren't.  But they are going to be less modern than VE8s.

Same couldn't be said going from V6 to V7, for comparison.

Edited by seagoal

6 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

*** I just came across a pair of XF Pro Carbon on clearance for almost the same price as both the PVE and VE8's!

Any thoughts as per comparing these to the PVE/VE8'S ??

The V7’s are definitely heavier than PVE and VE8. Also a few more straps. 

In the end it comes down to preference. If you like them and are comfortable in them...go for it. 

1 minute ago, Matt35 said:

The V7’s are definitely heavier than PVE and VE8. Also a few more straps. 

In the end it comes down to preference. If you like them and are comfortable in them...go for it. 

Yup, agreed.

There's not leather straps at all on either PVE or VE8. That alone is a weight reduction.

2 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

Leaning towards the VE8's.. I definitely prefer the strapping system on the PVE's, Im just worried they'll be too soft.

If your going to be keeping the pads for awhile what about custom? They might be able to stiffen up the PVE or change the strapping on the VE8

You also have the option of ordering VE8s custom without the magnetic straps.

There's much misconception about the price of custom vs. stock and they are actually not any more expensive, you just have to wait. 

The exception to that is if you elect to alter the structural build of the pad/gloves, you're going to pay more for that.

But, stock pads vs. custom pads where all you change is size and color is the same price.