Vaughn Gear

TheGoalNet

10 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

If your going to be keeping the pads for awhile what about custom? They might be able to stiffen up the PVE or change the strapping on the VE8

I WISH I could go custom. However the carbon version of the PVE or the VE8 is just out of my budget.. :(

13 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

I WISH I could go custom. However the carbon version of the PVE or the VE8 is just out of my budget.. :(

If you’re not going Carbon I would recommend checking out the Ventus. You may want a bit stiffer pad if you’re not going Carbon cause they will most likely soften up over time. And they’re cheaper than PVE and VE8. 

2 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

If you’re not going Carbon I would recommend checking out the Ventus. You may want a bit stiffer pad if you’re not going Carbon cause they will most likely soften up over time. And they’re cheaper than PVE and VE8. 

Anyone know any deals floating around out there that might help alleviate the costs in going carbon?

30 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

Anyone know any deals floating around out there that might help alleviate the costs in going carbon?

Not sure where you are, but The Hockey Shop in BC has a sale on the V7 non-carbon (850 CAD for the pads):

http://goal.thehockeyshop.com/vaughn-velocity-v7-pro-xlw-senior-leg-pads.html

Also, the other smaller companies that manufacture pads (Passau, JRZ, Battram, PAW, Kenesky, McKenney etc.) are usually much cheaper, more like 1300 CAD for pads than 2000 CAD like Vaughn and the other big brands. Of course if you really want Vaughn, then this is a moot point, but I would still consider it.

3 hours ago, cheddarberg said:

I used to have the PVE non carbon pads and it’s pretty good. No visible wear on it at all except for at the knee where I used to use the Velcro strap directly behind my knee and taking the Velcro off. Didn’t affect the performance of the pad, although having it for a few months it held up really well. 

Edited by southpawtendy48

3 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I used to have the PVE non carbon and it’s pretty good. No visible wear on it at all except for at the knee where I used to use the Velcro strap directly behind my knee and taking the Velcro off. Didn’t affect the performance of the pad, although having it for a few months it held up really well. 

Very good to know. I'm getting the VE 8 blocker and catcher tomorrow. The pads I'm still on the fence about.. 

Thinking I might just buy em both and wear em in my basement to try and feel em out as best as I can and just return whatever one I don't go with.

2 minutes ago, cheddarberg said:

Very good to know. I'm getting the VE 8 blocker and catcher tomorrow. The pads I'm still on the fence about.. 

Thinking I might just buy em both and wear em in my basement to try and feel em out as best as I can and just return whatever one I don't go with.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Only criticism I have about the PVE is the lack of strapping and customization to the user, but has worked perfect for my skinnier legs. the upside is is that it takes half the time to get em on compared to other pads 

Edited by southpawtendy48

2 hours ago, cheddarberg said:

You’re going to love those mitts bud!

I snagged this bad boy last night..... Its literally a championship level chesty ;)  I grabbed it here in E-town from Zach Sawchenko, who wore it last season as the goalie for our university team.  What a difference when you compare my V6 2200 to this nhl spec V7 XF Pro Carbon.  The bicep (twice as thick as my V6) and forearm protection is night and day (my only gripe with the V6).  I have the arms on my XL V6 sewn up to make them more like large arms but this new score is built with an XL body and Large arms which feel much better.

2.thumb.jpg.b0684ebbcdadbede2ab683b834153014.jpg1.thumb.jpg.9815a6003f7783a8a3134953a4e8af83.jpg4.thumb.jpg.90735e497d3ae75cfc7aee711edbbf0b.jpg

Image result for zach sawchenko

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

I snagged this bad boy last night..... Its literally a championship level chesty ;)  I grabbed it here in E-town from Zach Sawchenko, who wore it last season as the goalie for our university team.  What a difference when you compare my V6 2200 to this nhl spec V7 XF Pro Carbon.  The bicep (twice as thick as my V6) and forearm protection is night and day (my only gripe with the V6).  I have the arms on my XL V6 sewn up to make them more like large arms but this new score is built with an XL body and Large arms which feel much better.

2.thumb.jpg.b0684ebbcdadbede2ab683b834153014.jpg1.thumb.jpg.9815a6003f7783a8a3134953a4e8af83.jpg4.thumb.jpg.90735e497d3ae75cfc7aee711edbbf0b.jpg

Image result for zach sawchenko

Very nice pick up... I saw it on GGSU but it's just too big for me.

I wish Vaughn would make their retail units in the Pro Beef up specs.

I watched Zach when he was with the Warriors when they came to Regina... He was always solid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

Very nice pick up... I saw it on GGSU but it's just too big for me.

I wish Vaughn would make their retail units in the Pro Beef up specs.

I watched Zach when he was with the Warriors when they came to Regina... He was always solid.

ya ive been waithing for a xl/L to pop up and it just happened to be his.  Nice kid.  I got a pretty good deal on it as i came from playing at the universtiy right before... I may have threatened to do bad things to his crease if he didnt accept my offer ;)

• Like 1

Nice snag Doobie!  I'm really into those colors right now...hoping for an NHL expansion team using them soon...

I really enjoy my V7 chestie.  Mine is just stock so the forearms are a bit small compared to that unit, which I realized quite painfully 2 weeks ago.  I wasn't square to the shot and I had my wrist turned up a bit and the puck tagged me pretty good.

I like your partial family photo there.  I need to update mine once my new pads show up.

I"m pretty sure I overhauled everything from head to toe this year.  Is that right??   Yes, it is....with the exception of my bag.

7 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

ya ive been waithing for a xl/L to pop up and it just happened to be his.  Nice kid.  I got a pretty good deal on it as i came from playing at the universtiy right before... I may have threatened to do bad things to his crease if he didnt accept my offer ;)

Ha, that's a great discount strategy :)

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice snag Doobie!  I'm really into those colors right now...hoping for an NHL expansion team using them soon...

I really enjoy my V7 chestie.  Mine is just stock so the forearms are a bit small compared to that unit, which I realized quite painfully 2 weeks ago.  I wasn't square to the shot and I had my wrist turned up a bit and the puck tagged me pretty good.

I like your partial family photo there.  I need to update mine once my new pads show up.

I"m pretty sure I overhauled everything from head to toe this year.  Is that right??   Yes, it is....with the exception of my bag.

Thanks!  I know the exact feeling of getting a stinger in the forearm or bicep with the stock set up lol... the padding in this is almost double the thickness of stock, it was the first thing i noticed.

I've overhauled everything 2 times now in the last year except pants and jock (skates once only).  I just started playing again last year after a long hiatus though ;)

40 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Here's my Vaughn Ventus LT88s (34+2)(ignore the Northstar stick. That's also definitely not a Hackva mask with custom padding in the background)

IMG_0296.JPG

(and those definitely aren't Graf skates lol)

i hope you dont wear these in the orientation that you store and photograph them ;)

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Here's my Vaughn Ventus LT88s (34+2)(ignore the Northstar stick. That's also definitely not a Hackva mask with custom padding in the background)

IMG_0296.JPG

(and those definitely aren't Graf skates lol)

Please tell us you're not using Toe Hook???