Vaughn Gear

TheGoalNet

On 12/19/2017 at 7:40 AM, IPv6Freely said:

Everyone’s pads pretty much weigh the same these days. Weight is at the bottom of my priority list because of it.

Somewhat disagree. I remember hearing that the EF2 were nearly 6.2 pounds which is redicoulis And the 1s we’re near 4.9 and now the Ve8s are rumored by Vaughn to be 4.5 pounds. I notice a huge difference just in skating ability alone with lighter pads. I don’t think lightness is the question but overall feel. Main reason why ccm and Vaughn are still so popular amount nhlers.

9 hours ago, SnackDubs said:

I just recieved a pair of lt 98 gloves, should I post a review as they are nearly the same set as the SLR? Only kicker is that I have to wait till Christmas to open these babies up.

There's small differences between the LT90, 98 and SLR gloves. Though we are always welcome for more reviews!

10 hours ago, SnackDubs said:

I just recieved a pair of lt 98 gloves, should I post a review as they are nearly the same set as the SLR? Only kicker is that I have to wait till Christmas to open these babies up.

Yes, everyone should review everything they own! 

51 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's small differences between the LT90, 98 and SLR gloves. Though we are always welcome for more reviews!

From what info I understand 

lt90 -> lt98 Carbon Palm (I don’t believe the carbon fiber conspiracy) smaller cuff bigger pocket closest to the t5500 by a long shot

lt98-> SLR again a smaller cuff box , bigger catching area with some added stinger protection.

One interesting thing I learned from this forum is the “carbon fiber conspiracy “. From meeting reps from Vaughn I gathered this information about their carbon

back in the day of about the era of the lt-90s Vaughn was looking for an extra thing to make their chest protectors the best on the market and it was obvious that thing was carbon fiber so they went and made a prototype for pre v6 and added all the carbon they wanted to make the ideal chest protector. But when they were done, in order to make a profit they would be charging in the 3000 dollar neighborhood. So that idea went to the trash but a carbon plant went out of business so they bought the plant and enherited a s#$&ton of carbon fiber. So they then started to add it to all their gear. However it really doesn’t make sense how they can put carbon in a senior level glove, the new SLR pro, and still be fine with their supply. IMO it’s a true carbon fiber.

@bunnyman666 - correct, but getting technical... 

Vaughn's gear says "Carbon Enhanced" and not "carbon fiber inside". I would not be surprised if the retail reps and goalie community mis-understand what is inside in Vaughn's product and it doesn't mean that Vaughn is doing anything wrong. 

In my world, we did with lots of Polymer materials that have carbon fibers woven into them or carbon spheres in them. Both of these techniques improve the properties of the plastic for the specific application. 

If Vaughn is using a Carbon filled PA12 and it delivers the desired results at a good price, should we care? Given this post is probably going to confuse alot of people, it makes the point of Vaughn's word choice for their marketing efforts clear. Carbon Enhanced people kinda get, Carbon filled PA12 is confusing! 

@SnackDubs - It is your understanding that Vaughn is claiming this is pure carbon fiber?

29 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - correct, but getting technical... 

Vaughn's gear says "Carbon Enhanced" and not "carbon fiber inside". I would not be surprised if the retail reps and goalie community mis-understand what is inside in Vaughn's product and it doesn't mean that Vaughn is doing anything wrong. 

In my world, we did with lots of Polymer materials that have carbon fibers woven into them or carbon spheres in them. Both of these techniques improve the properties of the plastic for the specific application. 

If Vaughn is using a Carbon filled PA12 and it delivers the desired results at a good price, should we care? Given this post is probably going to confuse alot of people, it makes the point of Vaughn's word choice for their marketing efforts clear. Carbon Enhanced people kinda get, Carbon filled PA12 is confusing! 

@SnackDubs - It is your understanding that Vaughn is claiming this is pure carbon fiber?

Considering as they say 

• Pro core internal with full length carbon fiber reinforcement
  • Extra carbon fiber layer above knee for added pad stiffnes 
  •  I assume they mean carbon fiber

Valid! I hadn't paid attention to the wording in the descriptions, just the heat transfer logos on the gear and some of the pictures of the core I have seen. 

With that said, my earlier comments sorta still apply, but it requires more info. Could they be attaching 1 piece of carbon fiber to plastic? Again, that would be a realistic scenario for cost and function. People could be burning the plastic backing. 

• 2 weeks later...

4.5 lbs per pad!? never thought I would see that from the Velocity line. Have to check those out when they hit the stores, maybe I will like them more than Brians for my next set.

I always try to keep Vaughn in mind when picking gear but the stuff just never feels right enough for me to pull the trigger. Sad to me because I like my North American made stuff. Maybe this will be the set that pulls me away from Brians.

Have been thinking about getting a 2nd set of legs/glove/blocker and was just waiting to see what the V8's looked like. Think I'm going to go with those and do an all black setup (mine are red/white/black Vaughns now). Was kicking between Brians and Vaughns. Friend of mine loves his Brians and they feel (and look) great but I really love my V7's. I don't technically need a 2nd set, but I'm one of those plan ahead from problems types. Plus, alternating pad usage will hopefully make things last longer.

@TheGoalNet IMO I don't really see an advantage of magnets, but think it's more of a differentiation. Don't see them being strong enough to hold up to the stress of the pad movement,that the hold would be broken easily. On the flip side of that, if they are super strong hold magnets then taking pads off would be a bitch. But I agree, I want to see them up close. Still gonna get a set. If I don't like them, can always take it off and replace with a elastic strap.

22 minutes ago, loki1416 said:

@TheGoalNet IMO I don't really see an advantage of magnets, but think it's more of a differentiation. Don't see them being strong enough to hold up to the stress of the pad movement,that the hold would be broken easily. On the flip side of that, if they are super strong hold magnets then taking pads off would be a bitch. But I agree, I want to see them up close. Still gonna get a set. If I don't like them, can always take it off and replace with a elastic strap.

The RRC strap (Scrivens strap) on the current SLRs are held with a magnet, and are very secure. I'm sure these ones will be fine.