ProLaces/Monster HAL Strap

Max Tanzi

10 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

I tried this with a waxed skate lace as well but my knots are terrible and it loosened up, causing the pad not to rotate back into position after a butterfly ?

How long has your knot stayed? And how do you tie it to be so secure?

They have stayed very secure just using a couple simple (but tight) over-under knots. (I'm clearly not a sailor.) I'd call them overhand knots, but i think those are tied onto themselves and not two ends. Anyway, once I was happy with the tension I just snipped the ends, applied some heat via a lighter to crimp the ends and prevent fraying, then applied a little heat to the knot itself. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Kapz said:

Are ProLace / Monster HAL much better than say the Warrior/Brians stock elastic straps? 

Compared to the Brian's they are different. I find that the Brian's feel like laces, I don't notice I have elastic ties on. The Pro Laces have some elastic spring to them. My foot moves into a better position in the butterfly and then rebounds in to place when I recover. I also dont need a lundy strap or boot strap with them. 

1 hour ago, Kapz said:

Are ProLace / Monster HAL much better than say the Warrior/Brians stock elastic straps? 

Yes. I found the Brian's tend to bunch up a lot when going through the cowling so you don't get much stretch out of them. My Passau elastic straps were the same way - just too wide. 

4 hours ago, Kapz said:

I love my Warrior ARS toe straps.  I was big HAL user (Former Monster Rep) and much prefer the ARS toes with my GT Pro pads.  If I was to move back to a conventional toe bridge, I was opt for Pro Laces

4 hours ago, Kapz said:

I like the Warrior ARS straps more than the Monster HALs - mostly because the HALs stretch out over time whereas the Warrior ARS straps feel much more consistent.

Plus the hook/ring setup of the Warrior is more secure, IMO, then the hook/velcro on the HAL.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the Monster HAL's with the sleeve for the last year or so.  Functionally I like them, but the sleeve that Monster uses is a little too thick.  It's the kind that bunches up as you slide the cord through, so it gets real thick and accumulates snow during the game. 

I have a set of ProLaces Armor with a custom Potvin graphic for when my new set comes in, can't wait to give them a try.

• 1 month later...

Just my 2 cents using both of the products:

pro laces (stock non-armor) they were fine and bought them to replace my hals. I found the elastic to be really thick and found to have less give/ felt more like traditional skate lace. I hated the hardware and replaced it with nylon but it kept coming close the undone and I had to worry about it. I also found the Velcro to be subpar, not to the point of coming undone but it was definitely less than monster. 

hal straps: the elastic frayed quite a bit and the holes where you connect got used a little too much and the elastic came through and came undone after 2 years of heavy abuse. I fixed it and now have been using them full time again. I like how they attach a lot more and the adjustability, I guess you can say the pro laces are more durable but when monster says there “military spec”  I definitely see the difference especially in the Velcro. I bought the pro laces to replace the Hal straps but I just felt I played better in the hals.

Either way your getting the top 2 toe straps in the industry imho 

if I had to rank toe accessories:

1. Hal/pro lace (its personal preference) 10/10

2. Sliding toe bridge 9/10

3. Flex Toe (do they still even make it?) 7/10

4. Brian’s smart strap v1 6/10

5. Bauer crs laces 4/10

I absolutely love the way that Warrior does the toe/heel straps. On my Optik pads, I could not get used to the new Brian's toe system - this could be because I currently use Graf skates, and the front hole on the cowling is fairly small. It was a lot of effort to get the Brian's toe elastic through it and then double for the other side. I took the Warrior straps off of my old G2's and jury-rigged them to work with the Optiks. This combination works perfectly for me and I don't think I'll ever use anything else.

23 hours ago, SnackDubs said:

Just my 2 cents using both of the products:

pro laces (stock non-armor) they were fine and bought them to replace my hals. I found the elastic to be really thick and found to have less give/ felt more like traditional skate lace. I hated the hardware and replaced it with nylon but it kept coming close the undone and I had to worry about it. I also found the Velcro to be subpar, not to the point of coming undone but it was definitely less than monster. 

hal straps: the elastic frayed quite a bit and the holes where you connect got used a little too much and the elastic came through and came undone after 2 years of heavy abuse. I fixed it and now have been using them full time again. I like how they attach a lot more and the adjustability, I guess you can say the pro laces are more durable but when monster says there “military spec”  I definitely see the difference especially in the Velcro. I bought the pro laces to replace the Hal straps but I just felt I played better in the hals.

Either way your getting the top 2 toe straps in the industry imho 

if I had to rank toe accessories:

1. Hal/pro lace (its personal preference) 10/10

2. Sliding toe bridge 9/10

3. Flex Toe (do they still even make it?) 7/10

4. Brian’s smart strap v1 6/10

5. Bauer crs laces 4/10

Agreed on the screw system. If you ask pro laces, they will ship it with a nylon string and you can tie it on like the Brian's 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agreed on the screw system. If you ask pro laces, they will ship it with a nylon string and you can tie it on like the Brian's 

Did you do anything like @BadAngle41 mentioned to secure the knot?  I realized with the lack of HD foam thickness in the 2S to bridge, the screws were too long so I tied them with a pretty basic triple knot with regular skate lace.  One came undone in my second skate though, so I repurposed some older HD foam bridges and fit them to the 2S.  I do kind of prefer the idea of tying them on.

Repurposed a Nash Vaughn-style HD toe bridge for the 2S bridge/tab. Cut one in half, drilled an extra hole in each half. Pretty snug and probably will still go back to laces once I decide on a better knot and glue or something, but wanted to try this out. 

20180625_203959.jpg

20180625_203930.jpg

20180625_203850.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a set of the armor ones and I attached them to my 1x pads with the cord I ask them to send with it. I put the knots of the outside and used gorilla glue (crazy glue version ) on the cord before I tighten the knots. The next day there was no way the knots would ever come undone.

Archived