Review: MaxxDry Equipment Dryer

Adam Cooper

Review: MaxxDry Heavy-Duty Boot, Shoe and Glove Dryer

Anyone who plays winter sports like hockey, skiing, snowboarding, etc. will love this dryer for drying boots, gloves, snow pants, skates, shoulder pads and other equipment.

I personally use this to primarily dry my chest protector as it often gets the most moisture and ends up smelling without extra attention.  Secondly, I find it it great at drying my catcher, and blocker really well.

This dryer gently forces airflow heated to around 105 degrees to dry your gear in about an hour. Includes 2 drying posts. Regular use will help increase the longevity of your equipment and relationships by keeping odor causing bacteria at bay. No longer are you going to be playing in damp equipment or have you family and friends complain about how bad your equipment smells.

Link to YouTube Video Review:

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Mine is in the basement. Nothing funky to report here.

Same.  I've got a dedicated drying area with a fan, heat lamp, and the dryer.  The equipment smells great and I don't notice any other smells.  I had all new gear when I started this setup, so none of it has ever developed a funk.  I don't know how this would work with 10 year old gloves!

Once your gear is funked, these driers will spread the funk. a good sanitizing before beginning the use of these and, BAM!!!, no spreading funk. I have the Rocket Sports Dryer in the study  off the Dinning room, No issues. But, the key is to start with funkless gear.

13 minutes ago, old but slow said:

Once your gear is funked, these driers will spread the funk. a good sanitizing before beginning the use of these and, BAM!!!, no spreading funk. I have the Rocket Sports Dryer in the study  off the Dinning room, No issues. But, the key is to start with funkless gear.

The weirdest thing is that my dryer started mitigating the funk in my skates. Would I stand around sniffing my skates? Hell no; but believe it or not they started smelling better after use. There is an ioniser attachment that I have debated buying that I may try for shits and giggles. 

Lesson? Always wear socks with skates. I will never not do that again and will measure my feet with thin socks for my next custom skates. 

Similar to Puckstopper and bunnyman666 I use my equipment dryer in the basement.  Now that we are in spring I have also started using my dehumidifier and that also really helps pull the extra moisture out of my equipment.  This weekend I played twice in one day and I just cranked both up to get my equipment dry for my evening game and it worked!  If you do have issues with mold, bacteria and smells then I would recommend you follow these options below.  

Equipment Drying Priority List:

1.) Open your Bag:   Always open up your hockey bag and do so as soon as possible following a game.  If my equipment is stuck in my car all day for example, I'll open up the bag and crack open the sun roof to get some air in the car so it does not turn into a stinky mess. 

2.) Drying Rack:  Invest in a drying rack option (I just did a video review on two products I use and will post a video soon).  If in a basement or shed get your stuff off the floor where it can still capture moisture or little critters.  I made this mistake when I was younger thinking I could air out my hockey equipment in a condo locker with no air circulation.  All I managed to do was create more stink and upset my neighbors.  

3.) Ventilated Area:  Have your equipment air out in a ventilated area - furnace room, outside on a cloths line, bathroom with a fan or other area with windows that can open is best.  If you do put it outside to air avoid the ground as cats love the smell of hockey bags and may add to your equipment's perfume.

4.) Enhanced Drying Measures:  If you play hockey a lot and store your equipment in an area with high humidity then mother nature is not going to help you enough.  You need either a equipment dryer, dehumidified or fans to help you.  Get something with a timer or sensor so you can leave it and go.

5.) Fighting bacteria, mold and fungus:  Wherever there is moisture expect that bacteria, fungus and mold are not far behind.  Let's face it, sweaty hockey equipment gets disgusting and if we don't take time to clean it and manage it we're due to get smells, Athlete's Foot and risk potential skin irritations or worst case scenario infections.  Leverage anti-bacterial sprays when possible particularly for your equipment that is most prone to smells and moisture.  For me, that would be my blocker, glove, and chest protector. 

6.) Wash your equipment:  If you want to increase the longevity of your equipment then you need to take care of it and wash it from time to time by hand or in your washing machine on dedicates or  hand wash settings.  Never use your dryer for your equipment, period.  Always air dry with help of equipment highlighted above.

Wash regularly: jerseys, hockey socks, shower towel, skate towel, underwear,  mask sweatband, neck guard, shower flip flops

Rinse with water regularly:  Hockey mask, blocker, catcher.

Wash from time to time:  Jock, chest protector, knee pads, etc. where you wash on delicate or hand wash setting in your washing machine. 

I'm sure there are things I missed here but for me if you wear socks and you air your skates regularly these should be okay.  Similar with the hockey pants.

If All Else Fails?  If you follow all the steps above I'm confident your equipment should be in good shape but there are times especially with some dry fit materials where the stink just won't leave.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and throw that clothing or equipment away.  Everything has a life cycle and some equipment can only last a couple years.

I hope this information was helpful.  Believe me, your family and your teammates will thank you when you work to keep your equipment clean and free of odors. Please keep an eye out for my upcoming review of two equipment drying racks that I use.

Adam

5 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

Similar to Puckstopper and bunnyman666 I use my equipment dryer in the basement.  Now that we are in spring I have also started using my dehumidifier and that also really helps pull the extra moisture out of my equipment.  This weekend I played twice in one day and I just cranked both up to get my equipment dry for my evening game and it worked!  If you do have issues with mold, bacteria and smells then I would recommend you follow these options below.  

Equipment Drying Priority List:

1.) Open your Bag:   Always open up your hockey bag and do so as soon as possible following a game.  If my equipment is stuck in my car all day for example, I'll open up the bag and crack open the sun roof to get some air in the car so it does not turn into a stinky mess. 

2.) Drying Rack:  Invest in a drying rack option (I just did a video review on two products I use and will post a video soon).  If in a basement or shed get your stuff off the floor where it can still capture moisture or little critters.  I made this mistake when I was younger thinking I could air out my hockey equipment in a condo locker with no air circulation.  All I managed to do was create more stink and upset my neighbors.  

3.) Ventilated Area:  Have your equipment air out in a ventilated area - furnace room, outside on a cloths line, bathroom with a fan or other area with windows that can open is best.  If you do put it outside to air avoid the ground as cats love the smell of hockey bags and may add to your equipment's perfume.

4.) Enhanced Drying Measures:  If you play hockey a lot and store your equipment in an area with high humidity then mother nature is not going to help you enough.  You need either a equipment dryer, dehumidified or fans to help you.  Get something with a timer or sensor so you can leave it and go.

5.) Fighting bacteria, mold and fungus:  Wherever there is moisture expect that bacteria, fungus and mold are not far behind.  Let's face it, sweaty hockey equipment gets disgusting and if we don't take time to clean it and manage it we're due to get smells, Athlete's Foot and risk potential skin irritations or worst case scenario infections.  Leverage anti-bacterial sprays when possible particularly for your equipment that is most prone to smells and moisture.  For me, that would be my blocker, glove, and chest protector. 

6.) Wash your equipment:  If you want to increase the longevity of your equipment then you need to take care of it and wash it from time to time by hand or in your washing machine on dedicates or  hand wash settings.  Never use your dryer for your equipment, period.  Always air dry with help of equipment highlighted above.

Wash regularly: jerseys, hockey socks, shower towel, skate towel, underwear,  mask sweatband, neck guard, shower flip flops

Rinse with water regularly:  Hockey mask, blocker, catcher.

Wash from time to time:  Jock, chest protector, knee pads, etc. where you wash on delicate or hand wash setting in your washing machine. 

I'm sure there are things I missed here but for me if you wear socks and you air your skates regularly these should be okay.  Similar with the hockey pants.

If All Else Fails?  If you follow all the steps above I'm confident your equipment should be in good shape but there are times especially with some dry fit materials where the stink just won't leave.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and throw that clothing or equipment away.  Everything has a life cycle and some equipment can only last a couple years.

I hope this information was helpful.  Believe me, your family and your teammates will thank you when you work to keep your equipment clean and free of odors. Please keep an eye out for my upcoming review of two equipment drying racks that I use.

Adam

Amen, Adam! Amen!

See, that's a cool list and all, but you're missing the added benefits of having rank ass gear.

1. Lots of space in the dressing room
2. Your own personal place in the house the gf/wife/mistress won't dare enter
3. Increased resistance to all sorts of bugs and virus'
4. Lack of screens
5. No one asks to borrow your gear.

Just please remember these next time you're thinking of taking a wash cloth to your gear.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:30 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Love the Peet’s boot dryer. The Maxx looks like a solid unit, as well.

Same.  Skates and gloves go on the boot/glove dryer.  everything else gets hung on my ProLocker (which I won from the GoalieCrease.net back in the day when they had cool giveaways).  I have a huge fan blowing on the gear from the front and a smaller fan on the floor blowing up.  I also have a dehumidifier running but that's always running in the basement.  Zero stink.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, aircanuck said:

For anyone in Canada, the MaxxDry is on sale at Canadian tire right now, $35 off. I picked one up and it is a game changer. On the ice 5 times a week, sometimes with an hour off, this thing seems to dry my gloves in just over an hour. Hopefully it lasts long!

Just put that on my Christmas list, thanks for the heads up. 

Did you get the heavy duty or the smaller one?

Archived