Clarification and an update or two

bunnyman666

I have been absent for awhile. There have been several reasons why this has been the case, and a few have even wondered why.

My health and subsequently my goal tending future is in doubt at the moment. My health has been in steady decline since the last of January and has been in crisis since the end of March. A dust up between a fellow poster and I illustrated the fact that I need my energy to get well and that I was suseptible to letting things get to me. Me taking the bait into a senseless argument was a sign that I needed to take a break. That was on me. 

The fact that I may wake up Tuesday morning without a colon shows that I have not had much worthwhile content to post. After all- this is a goal tending forum, NOT a colon health forum. Most of my focus has been spent on trying to beat my disease. I have been literally existing at this point. 

I finally got better advice from more competent physicians, but waiting for the advice of a quack doctor to take hold most certainly delayed my progress and has contributed to the fact that I may lose my colon. Several doctors are weighing in on this and the decision will ultimately come tomorrow.

I don’t know what the future holds for hockey or my two businesses. I have been told that once the intestines get reattached and after ample healing time that hockey will be in the cards, but my fitness has left since the flare ups. I don’t know that in the cruel world of reality and drop in hockey that I want to have some downright humiliating outings as a goalie during my rehab. It looks like it could be up to a year from when I had last played is when will I may return. That is a long time for an older gentleman like myself. I will give it a try most likely, but am prepared for some very frustrating times. Part of me doesn’t know if my pride can take that...

I am not trying to garner sympathy, but I do feel that I have needed to explain my abrupt departure as I logged in and saw a few directed comments about things I have posted about. I will most likely not comment much on this topic and will likely return to my status as a lurker. Again- with not much current experience, the relevance of my posts would not add much. 

Moderators please note: if this is not appropriate content, please delete. 

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SaveByRichter35 Thanks, Jimmy. I really appreciate that. I will wear my Richter-inspired set my first time back!

@southpawtendy48 You hit the nail on the head! We can so easily take good health and full ability for granted to the point of being downright foolish with it. My first roommate in this hospital stay is most likely not with us any longer and that showed me that we are so fragile. You had better believe that every ice time will be treated like it’s the last! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Sorry to hear about the health issues, Doug.  Hoping for good news tomorrow and a speedy recovery.  Your presence is always welcome here!

This.  Exactly.  Hoping for the a good turnaround for you.  No matter how long you may be off for, the ice is always waiting for you.  I was off for 20 years and only came back after a Major heart attack a couple of years ago.  Regardless of whether you are playing or not, hockey is always there for you.  It's more than just a game, it's a community.  Especially amongst goalies.

Take care of yourself first, everything else is secondary.

In the past six months I have witnessed three specific examples of fragility of heath, with and without the "benefit" of age. I try  to think of that on a regular basis, but especially when I step on the ice.

Wishing you the best possible outcome in the coming days. Please stay in touch with me one way or the other,

A

@TheGoalNet, @coopaloop1234, @Naz, @mufforz, and @Ghostender- thanks for the well wishes. 

As for you, @RichMan thanks for the video! That bloke is moving better than I. Seeing men like him give me faith that I can still do this when I get older! 

Remember, all you youngins- things can change at the drop of a hat! Cherish your health!!!! I sure wish I did before this!

I wish you everything goes as good as it can.

btw. It does not matter whether you're actualy playing or not, it's always a good idea to read your comments on this forum - you are one of the most specific members here (in good way), so I missed your presence here ;).

Archived