Clarification and an update or two

bunnyman666

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy smokes, I am just catching up on your roller coaster ride. Here I am just joining the site, getting great advice from you and you're going through this all the while. My dear mother just had to go through the colon removal process, quite an ordeal. I can tell you she wasn't bouncing around any kind of forums or as positive as you are this early in recovery. There are a ton of support groups and resources out there for people that have walked a path similar to yours,  as I am sure your team has discussed with you. Let me know if you would like any sort of ideas in that direction. 

I certainly appreciate your insights and am grateful you have stuck around the forum. I sincerely wish you nothing but the best in your recovery.

All the best,

Neil

1 hour ago, aircanuck said:

Holy smokes, I am just catching up on your roller coaster ride. Here I am just joining the site, getting great advice from you and you're going through this all the while. My dear mother just had to go through the colon removal process, quite an ordeal. I can tell you she wasn't bouncing around any kind of forums or as positive as you are this early in recovery. There are a ton of support groups and resources out there for people that have walked a path similar to yours,  as I am sure your team has discussed with you. Let me know if you would like any sort of ideas in that direction. 

I certainly appreciate your insights and am grateful you have stuck around the forum. I sincerely wish you nothing but the best in your recovery.

All the best,

Neil

Thanks for that, Neil.

Hope your mum is doing well.

23 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Update: because of dehydration concerns with high output, I get to stay an extra day ☹️

I was joking last week when I said about taking vodka and/or gin as your "clear liquids" - don't you know that alcohol dehydrates you? :giggle:

You hang in there Doug! Look at it this way: more time for focused forum reading and contribution! :fistbump:

Cheers,

Mark

7 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I was joking last week when I said about taking vodka and/or gin as your "clear liquids" - don't you know that alcohol dehydrates you? :giggle:

You hang in there Doug! Look at it this way: more time for focused forum reading and contribution! :fistbump:

Cheers,

Mark

I know you were joking!

Being a captive audience has helped my participation, as well and it’s NOT a bad thing! 

A healthy forum is one with active participation.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Update: because of dehydration concerns with high output, I get to stay an extra day ☹️

Lucky you.

The term "high output" while in the hospital sounds fun. 

On 5/7/2018 at 10:03 AM, MTH said:

As a 41 year old dude myself - what happened with your colon (before they removed it)? Like, what lead into this? Lifetime of eating too many peanuts? Genetics? 

This?

5a70540cf31fa8fdff3ac45dfb7a1f3c.png

LOL One of the BEST fake commercials on SNL.

Genetics, somewhat, as my Grandmother had colitis. She would not concede to colon removal. It ended up in remission, but she had plenty of other issues...

Mainly- I had some issues with what one would call irritable bowel, it just got really severe last summer. After many misdiagnoses, I finally got a colonoscopy and got the ulcerative colitis diagnosis. 

What really started making this go into overdrive was the fact that my medication was switched by my insurance company. Looking back, the disease was starting to become more difficult to manage even before as I was taking a few more Immodium tablets to manage the diarrhoea. But the meds switch made it go to the point of no return. The worst part was that I finally could get back on the original meds, but it just stopped working. 

My last GI doc ran a cat scan and blood test and determined that I did not have active disease; he wanted my primary to put me on anti-anxiety meds. I patiently waited for things to work, and they did not. I finally took it upon myself to switch docs. 

I don’t know that getting to a better doc  quicker would have prevented the ultimate removal of my colon. But the typical biologic med (Humira, Remicade and Antivio) were not touching my colon’s inflammation. 

UC is one that stress and genetics COULD play a factor, but it is more likely just the hand you were dealt. Diet could play it’s part, but trying what @RichMan had suggested, I was too far gone. I probably had ignored symptoms for years before; the symptoms just never lasted more than a week and would not show for months after I thought I had “cured” them. 

Why I ask.

Terrible that happened. Can't believe they switched your meds like that. Awful they can just do that.

Sorry for 20 questions. That's a tough ride you endured so far. Hopefully it improves.

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

Why I ask.

Terrible that happened. Can't believe they switched your meds like that. Awful they can just do that.

Sorry for 20 questions. That's a tough ride you endured so far. Hopefully it improves.

I want to educate if at all possible. If anything, if one little thing I write would prevent this type of misery for one other person, I will have done my job on Earth. 

The main thing I want EVERYONE to take into consideration is that if you have diarrhoea then constipation a couple of times per month and end up with a bit of blood and/or mucous in your stool, you could have a chronic condition and it may not be what you ate the day before. In retrospect, I may or may NOT have prevented the colon removal.  Blood in the toilet is most likely not a hemmoroid; even then- it is NOT a normal thing REGARDLESS!

As far as the med switch went, it did not help but it illuminated a deeper underlying problem. Of course I was asking the pharmacy benefits person how they sleep knowing that they hold the keys to one’s quality of life and how they must have no soul. 

I do not mind answering questions about this. People should get educated on things like this.

11 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Got your tubes tied eh ;) lollll

Wishing you a fast recovery.

HA HA HA

The stoma is not tied. It is open...

Can’t wait to get rid of the catheter. Pro tip: avoid catheters at ALL COSTS!

Thanks for the well wish.

12 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

HA HA HA

The stoma is not tied. It is open...

Can’t wait to get rid of the catheter. Pro tip: avoid catheters at ALL COSTS!

Thanks for the well wish.

Hey, at least you don't need to worry about finding a bathroom when you need to go.

12 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Pro tip: avoid catheters at ALL COSTS!

Ever had a chick with a beard before?

No bearded lady - can't say that I have...

Well then - you haven't lived.

Note to self - I don't want to live!

V1KQAvi.gif

Archived