Mask buckles coming loose - Designs, rules, etc.

Hello everyone,

This topic is inspired by a conversation I found in the comment section of Goalie Gear Nerd’s (@goaliegearnerd) Instagram post on Rinne’s mask strap coming loose in game 3 against the Jets. There was a discussion about how mask straps coming loose are a sign of lacking innovation in the goalie mask business. If only there was a solution to buckles popping of when taking a hard shot to the head… I instantly came to think of Airxess products (RXS goalie masks). Most of you have probably heard of them via Hiller (who now has another supplier!!) and Berra. Additionally, many pro goalies in Switzerland’s highest leagues use RXS masks, putting emphasis on the product’s quality and safety.

So about their solution to the buckle issue: Instead of the standard way of having the buckles sit on top and on the sides of the mask, they have all the buckles attached on the backplate. The straps are attached to the actual mask shell with screws, making it very unlikely that a shot causes them to come undone. And I can’t imagine that the vibration caused by a direct shot to the mask would be enough to make the buckles on the backplate pop off.

Please share your opinions on this approach of eliminating the buckle problem! Any other solutions you think manufacturers should take into consideration? Thoughts on RXS masks in general? And while this might not perfectly fit in the gear section, opinions on possible rule changes for situations like Rinne's?

Disclaimer (kinda...)

Since this might sound like advertising, I want to state that I’m not associated with Airxess/RXS in any way. In fact, I don’t even own an RXS mask yet but I have a good friend who does and I joined him to pick up his mask at the shop, custom made to his specs and with a nice paint job done in-house. Sitting down with the founder Alec Vogel was a great experience and showed us just how much passion and craftsmanship go into making their products. Unfortunately, RXS masks don’t get the attention they deserve, in my opinion. While certainly not cheap compared to market leaders like Bauer or CCM, custom orders are a standard and things like the low weight and the high quality make them easily worth the additional cost. You could easily compare RXS masks to the early stage VH skates: A rather unknown brand, non-competitive pricing and some people might like the different approach, others might not. But in the end still a phenomenal product that is easily overlooked. Please note though that the masks are now produced by another small Swiss company (ORTHO-TEAM Mattle AG) while the original Airxess shop focuses on custom paint jobs. However, the mask manufacturing is still pretty much the same and the two companies remain in close contact.

Airxess Mercury.jpg

Airxess Mercury backplate.jpg

Certainly a different approach for anchoring the straps! It seems like a solid concept to me and would even consider it when I roll out my own mask. Considering that the back plate is suspended, buckling on the back plate would prevent pop offs. The only caveat would be rebuckling the straps, as that would be hard whilst wearing a CA; this would most likely be a non issue, however. 

Put me in the like column.

I also like this design.  I almost never undo the buckles until after a game to wipe down the hardware, so reattaching the buckles if they did pop off you could just do with the mask off.

For brainstorming other designs, what about a BOA dial on the back, with the wires somehow affixed to an elastic strap with a screw in attachment like above?  Still gives you the give to pull it on and off, but you can get the fit dialed (wink) in pretty specifically.  Unless that would require 5 dials, then forget it :P

10 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I also like this design.  I almost never undo the buckles until after a game to wipe down the hardware, so reattaching the buckles if they did pop off you could just do with the mask off.

For brainstorming other designs, what about a BOA dial on the back, with the wires somehow affixed to an elastic strap with a screw in attachment like above?  Still gives you the give to pull it on and off, but you can get the fit dialed (wink) in pretty specifically.  Unless that would require 5 dials, then forget it :P

We could just graph helmets onto goalies.

"Too bad Jimmy, you're a goalie now. Good luck kissing girls".

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

We could just graph helmets onto goalies.

"Too bad Jimmy, you're a goalie now. Good luck kissing girls".

"You merely adopted the mask.  I was born in it, molded by it"

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

Now there's an interesting idea. 

2 hours ago, Mikesch said:

Hello everyone,

This topic is inspired by a conversation I found in the comment section of Goalie Gear Nerd’s (@goaliegearnerd) Instagram post on Rinne’s mask strap coming loose in game 3 against the Jets. There was a discussion about how mask straps coming loose are a sign of lacking innovation in the goalie mask business. If only there was a solution to buckles popping of when taking a hard shot to the head… I instantly came to think of Airxess products (RXS goalie masks). Most of you have probably heard of them via Hiller (who now has another supplier!!) and Berra. Additionally, many pro goalies in Switzerland’s highest leagues use RXS masks, putting emphasis on the product’s quality and safety.

So about their solution to the buckle issue: Instead of the standard way of having the buckles sit on top and on the sides of the mask, they have all the buckles attached on the backplate. The straps are attached to the actual mask shell with screws, making it very unlikely that a shot causes them to come undone. And I can’t imagine that the vibration caused by a direct shot to the mask would be enough to make the buckles on the backplate pop off.

Please share your opinions on this approach of eliminating the buckle problem! Any other solutions you think manufacturers should take into consideration? Thoughts on RXS masks in general? And while this might not perfectly fit in the gear section, opinions on possible rule changes for situations like Rinne's?

Disclaimer (kinda...)

Since this might sound like advertising, I want to state that I’m not associated with Airxess/RXS in any way. In fact, I don’t even own an RXS mask yet but I have a good friend who does and I joined him to pick up his mask at the shop, custom made to his specs and with a nice paint job done in-house. Sitting down with the founder Alec Vogel was a great experience and showed us just how much passion and craftsmanship go into making their products. Unfortunately, RXS masks don’t get the attention they deserve, in my opinion. While certainly not cheap compared to market leaders like Bauer or CCM, custom orders are a standard and things like the low weight and the high quality make them easily worth the additional cost. You could easily compare RXS masks to the early stage VH skates: A rather unknown brand, non-competitive pricing and some people might like the different approach, others might not. But in the end still a phenomenal product that is easily overlooked. Please note though that the masks are now produced by another small Swiss company (ORTHO-TEAM Mattle AG) while the original Airxess shop focuses on custom paint jobs. However, the mask manufacturing is still pretty much the same and the two companies remain in close contact.

Airxess Mercury.jpg

Airxess Mercury backplate.jpg

I think these shells are the most beautiful masks. 

2 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

yeah i was thinking about the boa idea, i think it could work

3 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

BOA sounds interesting, although the necessary combination with the elastic straps makes it seem weird to me. Not a huge fan of BOA in general though, not for goalie gear at least.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think these shells are the most beautiful masks. 

Looks so clean, doesn't it. How do you like the broad chin section Berra used to play with?

Archived