Best chest protector for bigger guy?

Thinking about upgrading my current chest protector (Brown, JB 553 size 4-I think that's XL)...its served me REALLY well, but wondering if something newer would be an improvement, not so much in protection, but weight, mobility, breathability etc. I'm in my 40's and a bigger (stocky) guy...6ft 240. beer leaguer at best. Only stingers ive ever gotten on the Brown were on the biceps, or if I lost a little bit of coverage on the sides.

Looking at something lIke a Warrior or Brians but open to all...not sure how many years ive got left in me, so not looking to spend a ton.

any suggestions?

You could find a newer used Brown, there are some floating around out there.  Legendary protection in a unit built to last.
I am in a JB553 as well and LOVE it.  If yours is in half decent shape I would buy it off ya! 

If you are used to the protection of a Brown, most people will point you to Passau, but I am not sure of their price point.  They make some great units.

A used Brown or Passau would be great, but they make so many custom units you might have trouble finding a size.

I'm a big guy too (6"4" 270lbs). Have been super happy with my McKenney 870 for size, mobility and protection. A few stingers to the arms over 5 years wearing it but never once a bruise. Nothing anywhere else. The arms are laced in, so they can be lengthened or shortened a couple of inches. You can also order an XL with Large arms for no upcharge, or pay a bit more for beefed up arms (but for beer league, I wouldn't). Wait time is only a couple of weeks, I believe. Weight might be a bit more than other units, but it's by no means heavy and it lasts.

I looked into getting a new chestie about a year ago in some detail, but ended up staying with what I had. Turns out a new McKenney is literally half the price of a new Brown (once the Brown is customized a little). I tried on a Simmons 1000 and was impressed, but wasn't convinced the fit/protection was enough to pay over $100 more. Only Pro units from the big brands would compare to your Brown for protection, and they are way more money. McKenney is best mobility and protection per dollar for beer leaguers by far IMHO.

thanks everybody so far...nice to find a new goalie forum since the one I used to frequent went kaput a couple years ago....

Maybe I should take a step back with my OP....In terms of lighter weight, breathability and mobility, will a more modern CA be a significant improvement WITHOUT giving up the protection that I'm used to?

Or should I just stick with what I have and look to update other parts of my gear (I am still using Smith pads from circa 2002)?

15 hours ago, stealth said:

thanks everybody so far...nice to find a new goalie forum since the one I used to frequent went kaput a couple years ago....

Maybe I should take a step back with my OP....In terms of lighter weight, breathability and mobility, will a more modern CA be a significant improvement WITHOUT giving up the protection that I'm used to?

Or should I just stick with what I have and look to update other parts of my gear (I am still using Smith pads from circa 2002)?

In my experience, not really.  Maybe a newer pro return Vaughn thats been beefed up.  But just about everything out there is going to sacrifice in at least one of those areas to gain in another.  Take the Vapor 1X for instance, probably one of the most advanced in terms of materials...fairly light, breathable and protective, but not what I would call mobile.

23 minutes ago, stealth said:

Sidebar question: where do you bigger guys get practice jerseys from? I'm looking for something massive...everything ive bought off the shelf has been really snug.

These guys do custom sizes if you want "massive".

But the CCM 6000 which I just picked up is a pretty good size for me. (I have a 53" chest + a beer league stomach).

1 hour ago, stealth said:

Sidebar question: where do you bigger guys get practice jerseys from? I'm looking for something massive...everything ive bought off the shelf has been really snug.

Low end CCM jerseys are nice and roomy and have a lot of stretch to them. 

17 hours ago, stealth said:

Anything you get is going to be a step down from the Brown unit.
Passau comes close, custom options might make it a better fit for you.
Off the shelf, the CCM Premier is probably closest in build to the Brown in terms of protection while still getting some of the modern accoutrements.

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Off the shelf, the CCM Premier is probably closest in build to the Brown in terms of protection while still getting some of the modern accoutrements.

For protection, I agree. Brown C/A are bomb proof! But man those Brown chesties are bulky and heavy... 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

For protection, I agree. Brown C/A are bomb proof! But man those Brown chesties are bulky and heavy... 

Yessir!

I used one for a couple weeks while my P1 was getting repaired.  I was amazed with how jacked my upper body was getting lol

Funny... I tried on a Warrior, CCM, Brian's and Vaughn in my LHS earlier this year and thought "how the F do you guys even move in these things, it's overkill" and happily continued on with my Brown.  Mind you, it's a JB553 (same as the OP)  and not as big or bulky as the more recent Brown units but definitely gives ample protection.

4 minutes ago, Naz said:

Funny... I tried on a Warrior, CCM, Brian's and Vaughn in my LHS earlier this year and thought "how the F do you guys even move in these things, it's overkill" and happily continued on with my Brown.  Mind you, it's a JB553 (same as the OP)  and not as big or bulky as the more recent Brown units but definitely gives ample protection.

My Warrior is one of the easiest to move in, but it took a bit to break it in. 

6 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

My Warrior is one of the easiest to move in, but it took a bit to break it in. 

How long was the break-in period?  It has been SO long since I bought a new c/a that I have forgotten how long it takes.  

23 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I'll agree with Passau, but don't think it's a step down in terms of protection.  The Pro Pack is incredibly protective and I've had Browns.  Much lighter and more mobile, but protective as heck.  And they'll make one that fits you.  

Archived