Ok, I have a few questions about this. After rea.ding the thread I'm intrigued. 

Will anything cylindrical work? I have tones of cardboard rolls from scrap vinyl from work that I could use, saving the hassle of buying a roller. 

And do you pack them in your bag and roll at the rink? I play at a rink 5 minutes away from work, but 30-45 minutes away from home. I'm usually working late so I head straight to the rink after. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don’t know about this

Aren't aware that it exists, or not sure of the validity of the program? :P

I agree with the lacrosse ball on foot analysis, the difference in forward bend is pretty dramatic.  You can debate all day about whether rolling actually does anything mechanically, but as long as you feel a difference then it's doing something.  Even Maria will admit she's evolved her opinion on a few things, like rolling the IT band.  You can do it wrong and not notice any differences, like rolling way too fast for anything to actually happen.

I have such shit internal rotation that I have other things to work out before the butterfly challenge really opens anything up.

17 hours ago, Droner said:

I wasn't a believer until I did Maria Mountains butterfly challenge. Did the lacrosse ball on each foot and was a believer from then on out. Amazed me how just a little rolling could affect my flexibility so much.

2 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Aren't aware that it exists, or not sure of the validity of the program? :P

I agree with the lacrosse ball on foot analysis, the difference in forward bend is pretty dramatic.  You can debate all day about whether rolling actually does anything mechanically, but as long as you feel a difference then it's doing something.  Even Maria will admit she's evolved her opinion on a few things, like rolling the IT band.  You can do it wrong and not notice any differences, like rolling way too fast for anything to actually happen.

I have such shit internal rotation that I have other things to work out before the butterfly challenge really opens anything up.

Absolutely. Everything Maria does it fantastic. 

@jeff da goalie deep tissue massage focussing on groin, adductors, hip flexors, gluts and IT bands. Then later i'll have accupunture done on adductors and groin.  Sometimes with tens hooked up (electricity), sometimes not.  For me the accupunture provides great relief.  I know it doesn't work for everyone.

11 hours ago, itis121 said:

Will anything cylindrical work? I have tones of cardboard rolls from scrap vinyl from work that I could use, saving the hassle of buying a roller. 

And do you pack them in your bag and roll at the rink? I play at a rink 5 minutes away from work, but 30-45 minutes away from home. I'm usually working late so I head straight to the rink after. 

In college, I bought a foam roller that was about three feet long and cut it into thirds. I kept one in our locker room at our home rink, one in a team travel chest for road trips, and one at the house I lived in off campus. These days, I keep one in my bag that I use at the rink before skates, and I have a second one that I keep at home and take to and from the gym. So in short, yes I do roll at the rink. haha

On 5/24/2018 at 11:33 AM, itis121 said:

I don't think the cardboard would be durable, but if it's really thick you might get some use out of it.  I went to Home Depot and bought a short length of PVC pipe, maybe 5 or 6 inches in diameter.  Works like a charm.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Have one of these coming, looking forward to trying it on areas that are tough to roll.

Anyone use something similar?

https://brazynlife.com/collections/frontpage/products/morph-stick

yeah, I have something similar.  It's ok, but it relies on pulling or pushing to achieve pressure as opposed to gravity.  i do have Brazyn's popup foam roller which is awesome.

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

yeah, I have something similar.  It's ok, but it relies on pulling or pushing to achieve pressure as opposed to gravity.  i do have Brazyn's popup foam roller which is awesome.

Have that coming too, but I sorta figured that would work like my existing one. I got that for my suitcase when traveling for work.

Archived