Injuries of the trade

Lucky Pucker

2 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It's the worst feeling ever! I think that some how luckily I came out alright in the end and I'm 36, pretty active.  Sorry for your knee pain though!

My own fault LOL, like you I did not see a Dr right away.  Was afraid to have my season ended by the Dr orders.
Stay active, that's the best advice I can give!

23 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

That's exactly what I have... just threw it on my desk. I work from home more often than not and it's been great. I lower it down when i want to come as close as i can to actually sitting... raise it back up for standing.

Their commercials make me sea sick. Watch the clowns in the background. Up, down, up down... stop! We get it - your desk is a carnival ride. 

• Haha 1

Been going 14 years and only have had one really bad time, knock on wood. Fractured patella, ACL tear, and meniscus tear all in one go. I was 16 when it happened so I bounced right back, but now I'm really paying for it. Anytime it's cold or the weather changes is agony. A few concussions scattered about as well. I think I hurt my hip at some point too, since it really acts up in the cold as well, but I can't remember any time when I really pulled it or anything.

this post was bad luck.  Went into the butterfly last night and "pop" there goes my left knee again.  I'm assuming it's my MCL but scheduled an appointment just in case.  It's not nearly as bad as my first one and I don't think even as bad as the second time I did it (other leg).  Might even just be some scar tissue popping.  We'll see.  But I'm assuming I'm off for 4-6 weeks now.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

this post was bad luck.  Went into the butterfly last night and "pop" there goes my left knee again.  I'm assuming it's my MCL but scheduled an appointment just in case.  It's not nearly as bad as my first one and I don't think even as bad as the second time I did it (other leg).  Might even just be some scar tissue popping.  We'll see.  But I'm assuming I'm off for 4-6 weeks now.

Damn... sorry to hear that, dude. When I originally posted, and wrote the line "misery loves company," I wasn't implying that I wanted people to replicate my own injury. I mean, I'm flattered and all, but...

Glad you're set up to see someone, and here's hoping you have a safe and speedy recovery.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 11:19 AM, jeff da goalie said:

Hey @jeff da goalie - any update on your situation? Did you get in to see a medical professional yet?

Over 8 years in net(started when I was 30), I've had minor ACL and LCL tears in my left knee, multiple hip flexor strains, multiple ankle strains, bruised sternum, jaw realignment, couple broken fingers.  The knees and hips have become a recurring issue.

One common theme with most of these injuries, except the bruised sternum, is that they did not happen in actual games, but in pickup, stick&puck, training sessions, etc...

23 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

One common theme with most of these injuries, except the bruised sternum, is that they did not happen in actual games, but in pickup, stick&puck, training sessions, etc...

That's kind of interesting... any thoughts as to why that is? Maybe when there's no formal defense, the goalie is more prone to injury as they over-extend themselves, trying to make miraculous recoveries and/or saves ...(?)

Just like that? Go down and pop? 

32 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

That's kind of interesting... any thoughts as to why that is? Maybe when there's no formal defense, the goalie is more prone to injury as they over-extend themselves, trying to make miraculous recoveries and/or saves ...(?)

Definitely a higher frequency of shots/plays where a bigger stretch/push is needed.  This also leads to more fatigue.

I pop my scar tissue all the time.  My knee doesn't swell or anything, I just get this dull ache and a "loose" feeling in the knee for about a week.

2 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I pop my scar tissue all the time.  My knee doesn't swell or anything, I just get this dull ache and a "loose" feeling in the knee for about a week.

that's what happened to me in the past.  I'm hoping it's that way again.  I'm seeing my doc in an hour so if the joint is still stable, it's likely it was just the scar tissue.  And your description is pretty spot on.  

13 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

that's what happened to me in the past.  I'm hoping it's that way again.  I'm seeing my doc in an hour so if the joint is still stable, it's likely it was just the scar tissue.  And your description is pretty spot on.  

I'm about 5 days into my latest episode and its still a little sore, but the looseness has gotten better.  This is the first one in a couple years, so I may give it another week or so before I try and play or do anything on it.  I also have a progression of braces that I go through whenever it happens.  I start with my Don Joy Armor for a few days to a week and then I work my way down in support to just a sleeve or wrap over the coming weeks.  I combine that with a lot of stretching and massaging and it always seems to rehab OK.

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

I'm about 5 days into my latest episode and its still a little sore, but the looseness has gotten better.  This is the first one in a couple years, so I may give it another week or so before I try and play or do anything on it.  I also have a progression of braces that I go through whenever it happens.  I start with my Don Joy Armor for a few days to a week and then I work my way down in support to just a sleeve or wrap over the coming weeks.  I combine that with a lot of stretching and massaging and it always seems to rehab OK.

Got the word from the doc.  Grade 1 sprain, but a mild one.  There's some very minor instability compared to the other leg, but he's not overly worried.  He said another week off the ice, then i play it by ear.  If I'm pain free, I'm good to go.  

5 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

Got the word from the doc.  Grade 1 sprain, but a mild one.  There's some very minor instability compared to the other leg, but he's not overly worried.  He said another week off the ice, then i play it by ear.  If I'm pain free, I'm good to go.  

Good deal, glad to hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody here on the IR with good news stories or updates? My physio told me "optimistically" that things with my MCL were progressing well, I might be ready to play in another 5 weeks (!)

I think I might just call it for the summer, and make sure I'm completely rested and ready come Fall.

21 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Anybody here on the IR with good news stories or updates? My physio told me "optimistically" that things with my MCL were progressing well, I might be ready to play in another 5 weeks (!)

I think I might just call it for the summer, and make sure I'm completely rested and ready come Fall.

I'm getting better.  I squatted 125 for 10 reps with no pain.  I'm on the elliptical, including high intensity intervals with no pain.  Some of the butterfly movements that I'm doing off ice (and very slowly) are still iffy.  I got subs through next week (which will be 4 weeks) and hope to get on the ice on the 25th.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I'm getting better.  I squatted 125 for 10 reps with no pain.  I'm on the elliptical, including high intensity intervals with no pain.  Some of the butterfly movements that I'm doing off ice (and very slowly) are still iffy.  I got subs through next week (which will be 4 weeks) and hope to get on the ice on the 25th.  

Great news, Jeff! I hear ya on "...some of the butterfly movements..." I thought I had been feeling pretty good lately, so I also threw the pads down on the basement carpet to see. I tried to mimic a push, and definitely felt it.

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Slow progression for me.  My off ice workouts have returned to alllllmost normal.  The Microfractures in the knee are healing.  I have close to full strength back and am squatting with two 50 lb dumbbells.  My surgeon has okayed me to skate, but not to play yet, and I won't as it still hurts to kneel on that knee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

give it as much rest as you can stand.  The tricky thing about knees or any joint for that matter is they can feel relatively OK making controlled movements until you make that one explosive push or pull that just puts too much stress on it and you feel that pop all over again. 

Don't just rest it either, make sure your strengthening the area on BOTH sides as much as possible.  It never fails for me that when I hurt one side, the other isn't far behind if I'm not careful because you don't realize how much extra stress your putting on the healthy side.  So make sure you are working both legs the same when your rehabbing.

• Thanks 1