Injuries of the trade

Lucky Pucker

Serverly bruised collarbone in practice not totally sure it wasn’t cracked.(was right before my senior year so I played through)had tonsillitis later that year 104 fever, yeah I still played had a decent game 2-2 tie Felt like death before the game but once it started I was dailed in. With a win we would of made the playoffs. So I had to play. 

half a dozen concussions 

pulled groin 

hyperextended elbow 

bone bruise on left foot

shot to knee which caused fluid on my knee.  

I played through just about all of it I left one game early with the elbow. 

Edited by Mike24

50 minutes ago, MTH said:

Hangnail. Brutal pain. Survived final period with it. Had to be helped off ice by teammates. There's a plaque at the rink for me from that game.

It's nice that we can joke about our chosen sport and related injuries, but on the opening day of the World Cup, let's not forget about those poor footballers. I mean, judging from their reactions at least, they step on landmines and get shot by snipers every game. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that magic spray though; a shot of that, and it's almost like these guys were never even hurt in the first place!

:giggle:

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Haha 5

I am very hesitant to post this as I don't wanna jinx myself.  But...let's see...I started playing goal at street hockey at the ripe old age of, idk, about 6 or 7?  Went on through deck, roller with a ball, roller with a puck, and then finally to ice.  I will be 35 this August.  In that time frame the only real hockey injury that I have ever suffered was a very minor tear to my right meniscus.  That happen in September/October of 2015 or 2016, I don't recall which.  I was out until December of that same year.  Did not require any surgery nor rehab, just rest.  Earlier this year I did something to my hip which I am still unsure of how I hurt it.  I only missed three games.  The last game of the winter season, that seasons playoff game, and the first game of the spring season.  Thankfully there was about a month between seasons.  Didn't need any operation but I did do two weeks of PT.  I have not had a problem since.  

I have been pretty lucky, hopefully posting this doesn't change anything.

@SaveByRichter35 I think these things happen at random times.  I'm 36 and like you playing hockey young but mostly on the streets, ice hockey for only 8 years now in net, but I have played other sports, from volleyball to baseball, soccer, tennis...I'm very athletic.  I have had minor injuries in other sports (one major in volleyball landing on my ankle) but with hockey it's then luck of the draw I find.  I had one major groin poll and the other...well the players on the ice we need to worry about.  A guy landed on me while on the butterfly and rolled my knee! The most pain I ever felt! Was out for over a month, let it heal on it's own.  Best thing is to keep in shape I find!

Lucky you, keep going strong!

Edited by mr_shifty1982
  • Like 1

I think my worst injury will prove to be the ongoing wear and tear on my hips! That aside, from memory I've had a high ankle sprain that kept me out a couple of months and a hard, short-range shot onto Bauer Reactor kneepads (not recommended) that meant I had to miss a couple of weeks. 

In the spirit of humour on the thread though, heres my weirdest injury incident; when I started playing again the team I was on were not that great, so I just used my normal player box before sorting out a proper goalie one. Never had a problem with shots from the front, but in one session a shot hit the post, rebounded straight out and got me in the balls from behind! Not sure a goalie box would even of helped in that instance! ?

4 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

In the spirit of humour on the thread though, heres my weirdest injury incident; when I started playing again the team I was on were not that great, so I just used my normal player box before sorting out a proper goalie one. Never had a problem with shots from the front, but in one session a shot hit the post, rebounded straight out and got me in the balls from behind! Not sure a goalie box would even of helped in that instance! ?

How in tarnation?...

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Haha if only!  ?

I think it was just one of those weird,  freak occasions helped, no doubt, by me sliding out of position past the post as the shot was taken. I was also rocking entry-level Bauer pants at the time that were far too big - now i'm in appropriately sized CCM pro pants, Warrior nut hut with a Vaughn Epic goalie jock over the top...lesson learned!

I just came back after sitting a few months with a groin pull that just wouldn't heal up. Between that, bruises, and some nagging left hip pain, I'm solid. 

I think all of the shots to the pills I took playing street hockey as a kid forced my body to adapt. 

The flexible vs. stiff pad discussion has been going on forever, but in terms of the injury aspect, I've always heard that a softer(more flexible) pad may put less strain on the joints such as the hips, knees and ankles.  Anyone use both flexible and stiff pads for extended periods of time and really feel like they've felt a difference in that respect? 

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

The flexible vs. stiff pad discussion has been going on forever, but in terms of the injury aspect, I've always heard that a softer(more flexible) pad may put less strain on the joints such as the hips, knees and ankles.  Anyone use both flexible and stiff pads for extended periods of time and really feel like they've felt a difference in that respect? 

They'll be different. I've gone from P2's -> V4's -> R/GT's.

A more flexible pad (especially torsional) will put less strain on the hips/knees as the pad is far more forgiving and will bend with the leg. Stiff pads generally work against you.

Granted, a lot of these are due to toe ties really. If we had the same slack in a stiff vs soft pad, the soft pad will be less strenuous as per my reasons above. Toss in a lot more slack and injury issues will lessen.

40 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They'll be different. I've gone from P2's -> V4's -> R/GT's.

A more flexible pad (especially torsional) will put less strain on the hips/knees as the pad is far more forgiving and will bend with the leg. Stiff pads generally work against you.

Granted, a lot of these are due to toe ties really. If we had the same slack in a stiff vs soft pad, the soft pad will be less strenuous as per my reasons above. Toss in a lot more slack and injury issues will lessen.

I've worn both, I guess I just never really understood where I might see the difference.  I agree 100% that a stiffer pad works against you in most areas.  I noticed that with using G3's coming from Reactor 9000's, it was like I couldn't even feel the weight difference once on the ice because I could move so much easier in the Reactor's despite the heavier weight.  But I will say that a stiffer pad feels much more stable when in the butterfly, which does feel like less work sometimes as well.

17 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I've worn both, I guess I just never really understood where I might see the difference.  I agree 100% that a stiffer pad works against you in most areas.  I noticed that with using G3's coming from Reactor 9000's, it was like I couldn't even feel the weight difference once on the ice because I could move so much easier in the Reactor's despite the heavier weight.  But I will say that a stiffer pad feels much more stable when in the butterfly, which does feel like less work sometimes as well.

Also depends on your flexibility too. I'm decently flexible and didn't notice too much of a difference myself either. But I know guys rocking the Giggy-fly see a huge benefit in the soft pads.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my own personal situation (because I'm special and important... and I started this thread, so like... there's that.)

Physio yesterday was super pleased with everything, the knee is strong, mobile and almost pain-free, so I am clear to do on-ice work in full gear with a physio (yes - at the same place as my phyiso, they have a 3-on-3 ice surface for training, lessons etc.). Tried on all my gear on the carpet last night to make sure I remembered order and everything (not even kidding; I'd only done this goalie dressing thing ~20 times before getting injured. Better to make a mistake in my basement than in the room). I'm on at 12:20 today... what the fuck am I supposed to do until then?!?!?

The child-like excitement about playing goalie is back with a vengeance! My wife even said that I have been noticeably happier over the last week, as this day approached! Now if I can get back into it, and go injury free for a good stretch, I'll be allowed to buy new gear!

• Like 1

Im 40.  Have had chronic groin issues since 26 due to arthritis in hips.  7yrs ago meniscus tear.  Was ok up till 2 seasons ago.  Major concussion.  Last season labral tear in shoulder (still working with it to improve).  Currently dealing with mcl strain.  

So much fun getting older.....

• 1 month later...

Figured I would post this here. 

Anyone playing with a custom knee brace? I'm using the Don Joy Defiance 3 along with warrior knee pads. I just played one game with this and it seems a bit bulky in the knee cradle due to the brace, pants, knee pads and knee block. I haven't been keeping up with the latest gear. Is there any kneepads that are low profile but offer good protection?

• 1 year later...

Well, my season came to an early close most likely from the other night. First shooter in a shootout and I made just about a split save, however, I cannot perform the splits and the cheers from my bench ended when they realized I could no longer stand. It appears as though I've torn an adductor for the second time in 5 months.