Jump to content

Injuries of the trade


Lucky Pucker
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

Well, my season came to an early close most likely from the other night. First shooter in a shootout and I made just about a split save, however, I cannot perform the splits and the cheers from my bench ended when they realized I could no longer stand. It appears as though I've torn an adductor for the second time in 5 months. 

Oof. I was stretching during warm-up last week and heard a *pop* from my right-side gracilis. Played a few games since and it feels better every day, but groin injuries are nerve wracking. Never quite sure how long it's going to take to heal, what movements might aggravate it. Not fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

Oof. I was stretching during warm-up last week and heard a *pop* from my right-side gracilis. Played a few games since and it feels better every day, but groin injuries are nerve wracking. Never quite sure how long it's going to take to heal, what movements might aggravate it. Not fun.

Not fun indeed. I decided to shut it down for the season and take the summer off of hockey this year too most likely. That gives me a solid 8 months to rehab it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been fortunate to have never really suffered a groin injury. I've had a few strains but no more than that. Otherwise, I've been dealing with an occasional back locking issue from being run into twice in one season some 20 years ago, Suffered a high ankle sprang during a sub game and finished the game (that one kept me off ice for a year). Two pucks to the throat, fortunately no damage. Unintentional stick slash to the back of the neck with no damage (thank you Maltese neck guard), tons of bruises for sure.

I have to say that I've been lucky and grateful that I can still manage to play at a mid to high level at 51.

My 30 year amateur career lives on :P  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Tonight, I had a one timer direct hit to the thumb of my blocker. It happened so fast. Was afraid of what I might find inside but nothing too bad. Lots of blood but after we taped it up it stopped. Sore and swollen now with thumbnail turning black. I was wearing the CCM E3.5 blocker 🙄 maybe time for an upgrade. 

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snapped the cap off a tooth once... opening my water bottle with my teeth. Skated over to the bench and handed it to one of my players to weird him out. Obviously I play up the story a lot more when I tell other people.

Other than that, just the usual twangs and pains - usually in the hip area and feeling it in the knee. Did really pull my groin when I was starting out by jumping out and taking shots before properly stretching, which was pretty brutal. Thank fully no problems with hits to the head - got one right between the eyes that dented my cage and had a player kick my cage once while falling down, but no incident from either other than having to replace an annoyingly expensive piece of gear.

Capture.JPG

30E12813-AF89-4DFD-920C-182539F2113B.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, Fullright said:

That looks painful.

it was painful while doing the slow glide to the corner hunched over on the knees 😆 i think we all can relate. After the sting wore off it was ok. 

10 hours ago, MTH said:

Ice ice baby.

Ice is our friend for sure. Worked wonders with this. 

9 hours ago, indykrap said:

Snapped the cap off a tooth once... opening my water bottle with my teeth. Skated over to the bench and handed it to one of my players to weird him out. Obviously I play up the story a lot more when I tell other people.

Other than that, just the usual twangs and pains - usually in the hip area and feeling it in the knee. Did really pull my groin when I was starting out by jumping out and taking shots before properly stretching, which was pretty brutal. Thank fully no problems with hits to the head - got one right between the eyes that dented my cage and had a player kick my cage once while falling down, but no incident from either other than having to replace an annoyingly expensive piece of gear.

Capture.JPG

30E12813-AF89-4DFD-920C-182539F2113B.jpg

funny story thanks for sharing and that dent is brutal! 😳

 

I'll tell you guys, we hear a blocker is a blocker is a blocker a lot but take a good one to the fingers and that all goes out the window. Granted it was a weird shot that seemed like it curved just a little to the right if that's possible and found a hole 🙄 maybe my luck ran out. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2022 at 6:15 PM, Scythe said:

it was painful while doing the slow glide to the corner hunched over on the knees 😆 i think we all can relate. After the sting wore off it was ok. 

Ice is our friend for sure. Worked wonders with this. 

funny story thanks for sharing and that dent is brutal! 😳

 

I'll tell you guys, we hear a blocker is a blocker is a blocker a lot but take a good one to the fingers and that all goes out the window. Granted it was a weird shot that seemed like it curved just a little to the right if that's possible and found a hole 🙄 maybe my luck ran out. 

How are you doing now?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some context. I started organized hockey in 1971. Played continuously until 1984. Missed 84-85 season. Played continuously from 1985 to  1995. Picked up again in 2015 to present but not in a  league, the semi organized drop in I've mentioned elsewhere. Here's my injury CV:

1) destroyed left glenohumeral joint with which I played for 2 years - reconstruction effectively ended my super serious youth to college hockey career

2) torn right knee medial meniscus 

3) torn left oblique and bruised liver

4) 3 medically documented concussions

5) torn right glenohumeral joint

6) grade 1 sprain of the right acromioclavicular joint

 

Keep in mind that the gear was junk. All the joint injuries were from crashes or pileups in the crease/slot. Of the list, the most painful was the oblique and liver. The oblique took 6 months to resolve and the liver bruise literally put me down. It felt like I had lost my wind but I could breath. My legs, however, just collapsed leaving me in a fetal position. I then understood why boxers target it. 

Edited by Fullright
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Fullright said:

Some context. I started organized hockey in 1971. Played continuously until 1984. Missed 84-85 season. Played continuously from 1985 to  1995. Picked up again in 2015 to present but not in a  league, the semi organized drop in I've mentioned elsewhere. Here's my injury CV:

1) destroyed left glenohumeral joint with which I played for 2 years - reconstruction effectively ended my super serious youth to college hockey career

2) torn right knee medial meniscus 

3) torn left oblique and bruised liver

4) 3 medically documented concussions

5) torn right glenohumeral joint

6) grade 1 sprain of the right acromioclavicular joint

 

Keep in mind that the gear was junk. All the joint injuries were from crashes or pileups in the crease/slot. Of the list, the most painful was the oblique and liver. The oblique took 6 months to resolve and the liver bruise literally put me down. It felt like I had lost my wind but I could breath. My legs, however, just collapsed leaving me in a fetal position. I then understood why boxers target it. 

Liver kicks in MMA are no joke....it doesn't look like it should do what it does, but the body just stops working. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/25/2022 at 8:30 PM, bunnyman666 said:

How are you doing now?

I'm sorry, I just saw this.

I'm ok but, I was thinking I had nerve damage because inside of thumb was numb for about a month before feeling came back. What's going on now is thumbnail is starting to break off. I suspect the new one underneath is going to take over. 

That was a weird injury. Shot went  right to the thumb of the blocker hand 😡

 

Wasn't square enough I suppose but it was kind of cool seeing my blood all over the ice 🤣

Edited by Scythe
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My worst was 2006 in my first year of juniors someone skated over the back of my leg after I got knocked down to the ice, completely sliced my left hamstring to the bone.  Was able to get back on the ice after about 6 months but the muscle has still never fully recovered.

More recently, few years ago I tore my left groin then a pretty bad sprain again a year later, I've since started taking my pre-game warm-ups way more seriously, stationary bike, stretching, foam-roller, etc... as well as some of Maria Mountain's off-ice groin strengthening workouts and knock on wood have been injury free for a while.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scythe said:

I'm sorry, I just saw this.

I'm ok but, I was thinking I had nerve damage because inside of thumb was numb for about a month before feeling came back. What's going on now is thumbnail is starting to break off. I suspect the new one underneath is going to take over. 

That was a weird injury. Shot went  right to the thumb of the blocker hand 😡

 

Wasn't square enough I suppose but it was kind of cool seeing my blood all over the ice 🤣

Wow. Scary stuff!

They got out the scrapers, I suppose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, agrare said:

My worst was 2006 in my first year of juniors someone skated over the back of my leg after I got knocked down to the ice, completely sliced my left hamstring to the bone.  Was able to get back on the ice after about 6 months but the muscle has still never fully recovered.

More recently, few years ago I tore my left groin then a pretty bad sprain again a year later, I've since started taking my pre-game warm-ups way more seriously, stationary bike, stretching, foam-roller, etc... as well as some of Maria Mountain's off-ice groin strengthening workouts and knock on wood have been injury free for a while.

That is so medieval on your ham, Wow!  A Malarchuk to the leg.

@Scythe, hope your thumb fully recovers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 10:28 AM, agrare said:

My worst was 2006 in my first year of juniors someone skated over the back of my leg after I got knocked down to the ice, completely sliced my left hamstring to the bone.  Was able to get back on the ice after about 6 months but the muscle has still never fully recovered.

More recently, few years ago I tore my left groin then a pretty bad sprain again a year later, I've since started taking my pre-game warm-ups way more seriously, stationary bike, stretching, foam-roller, etc... as well as some of Maria Mountain's off-ice groin strengthening workouts and knock on wood have been injury free for a while.

Holy shit. Glad you’re alright right now though. Hamstring incident seems like a freak accident but nonetheless scary, I’ve been taking care of my body more with stretching and such but this post should remind us all to do everything we can to prevent injury… it makes a hell of a difference 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Holy shit. Glad you’re alright right now though.

 

 

Thanks man, I've kept an eye out for cut resistant clothing that would have prevented it.  So much of the hockey specific stuff seems to focus on the calf/achilles tendon area, IMO goalie specific cut protection should go the whole length of the calf, back of knee, and up at least half the hamstring.

Only stuff that looks like it would work would be speedskating or skiing pants but those have way more than is necessary.  I still play without any extra protection, chalk it up to a once-in a lifetime freak accident (that's how statistics works right?)

I'd love to see some goalie specific cut protection with a strip of aramid all the way up the back of the leg.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the mid 80's I took a stick to the eye. It was in an industrial league. My defensemen had one of their forwards tied up at the top of the crease. They both fell backwards with my guy's stick spearing me in the eye. It easily broke the weld on my Cooper "Broomball" cage. Suspecting that their guy was holding his stick, my guy commenced to vigorously twist his stick resulting in my receiving a circular ragged cut around the perimeter of my left eye. That hurt.

I had to lay flat, face up on a hospital bed for 24 hours to check for permanent eye injury. I was employed as an Air Traffic Controller.  There ain't no one eyed ATC'ers. Once it had been determined that the blood had drained from the wound and no permanent eye damage was incurred I was released.

Full of ratty looking stitches I took a taxi home to my wife and young family, both sons were enrolled in minor hockey. Naturally I agreed to quit hockey - "Immediately, if not sooner."

A few weeks later I meandered into our local Hockey Shop (Oshawa, Ontario). Joe Bolahood, the owner, hooked me up with Greg Harrison.  The rest is history ...............

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...