CCM P2.9 - First Impressions -

Znowleopard

On 5/24/2018 at 1:18 PM, bunnyman666 said:

That is true.

I don’t understand why people never bring two sticks. I hate moochers! It’s one thing if both sticks break, but not even bringing on would make me get in touch with my inner Ebenezer Scrooge!

I don't bring 2 sticks, never had a situation where a stick snapped to the point where I can't use it in 7 years of playing.  Plus if I did, I would take a player stick, screw the other goalie hahah

20 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

That is true.

I don’t understand why people never bring two sticks. I hate moochers! It’s one thing if both sticks break, but not even bringing on would make me get in touch with my inner Ebenezer Scrooge!

Not to derail this thread (great pics, love the Crawford style of those pads. Look slick), but talking about bringing backup sticks I have to bring this up.

Back in my younger days, I was at a game but sitting on the bench (our backup goalie was starting that night). Early in the game, the other team's goalie broke his stick. He had no backup stick, and so skated over to ask if he could use mine, since I wasn't playing. I said sure, game continued. 

My team's backup is having a rough game. By mid-way through the first it's 3-0. With about five minutes left he lets in a pretty bad goal to make it 4-0. He turns around and smashes his stick on the post braking it in half. 

He also has no backup stick, so he skates over to ask if he can now use my 2nd stick. So I give it to him. 

Literally 30 seconds later he gives up the 5th goal and immediately turns around and brakes my stick in half! He then storms off the ice (without even being signaled to come off), throwing my now broken stick over the glass. 

So now I have to jump onto the ice, but I have no sticks left! So first thing I do is skate down to the other end of the ice, apologize to the other goalie and then take my stick back. He has to finish the rest of the game with a players stick. 

We won the game 6-5. My backup never paid me back for the broken stick. 

Anyways, love seeing the premier2 pics, really like how that pad looks. How have you found switching into a stiffer/flat faced pad? 

50 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

Not to derail this thread (great pics, love the Crawford style of those pads. Look slick), but talking about bringing backup sticks I have to bring this up.

Back in my younger days, I was at a game but sitting on the bench (our backup goalie was starting that night). Early in the game, the other team's goalie broke his stick. He had no backup stick, and so skated over to ask if he could use mine, since I wasn't playing. I said sure, game continued. 

My team's backup is having a rough game. By mid-way through the first it's 3-0. With about five minutes left he lets in a pretty bad goal to make it 4-0. He turns around and smashes his stick on the post braking it in half. 

He also has no backup stick, so he skates over to ask if he can now use my 2nd stick. So I give it to him. 

Literally 30 seconds later he gives up the 5th goal and immediately turns around and brakes my stick in half! He then storms off the ice (without even being signaled to come off), throwing my now broken stick over the glass. 

So now I have to jump onto the ice, but I have no sticks left! So first thing I do is skate down to the other end of the ice, apologize to the other goalie and then take my stick back. He has to finish the rest of the game with a players stick. 

Anyways, love seeing the premier2 pics, really like how that pad looks. How have you found switching into a stiffer/flat faced pad? 

Hahaha fun story, worth derailing the tread for.

they arnt that much stiffer than my Bauers, but flat face does mean rebound go the direction i expect them to

2 hours ago, Puckducker said:

haha this is messed up, it sounds like your goalie needs his head checked or examined for that matter.  I wanted to break my stick so many times but knowing what I paid for it, I say nah hell no! Nice story though!

So second skate yesterday, a 2 hour drop casual match, first hour i got maybe 4 shots and the last hour after switching teams i got 4 in 1 min. anyway, i got the strapping pretty much perfect this time, i strapped the y strap with the medium on its loosest setting, nylon strap also on the loosest. I still went across the knee tight because i didn't feel that my knee was connected if i didn't. The ice was Super rough and sliding didn't go so well, the pads do still slide better than my Bauers but they dont have rockets attached to them. I pretty much got used to the thigh rise now, last time i felt quite uncomfortable, but the loosening the strapping helped that. I do still feel a bit more clumsy when i go out to play the puck, and during scrambles, but my crease movements dont feel bad. I really noticed the weight this time, they where so light, and felt more balanced on the leg than my bauers did, which i think is a big part of how much they feel like they weigh.

4 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

So second skate yesterday, a 2 hour drop casual match, first hour i got maybe 4 shots and the last hour after switching teams i got 4 in 1 min. anyway, i got the strapping pretty much perfect this time, i strapped the y strap with the medium on its loosest setting, nylon strap also on the loosest. I still went across the knee tight because i didn't feel that my knee was connected if i didn't. The ice was Super rough and sliding didn't go so well, the pads do still slide better than my Bauers but they dont have rockets attached to them. I pretty much got used to the thigh rise now, last time i felt quite uncomfortable, but the loosening the strapping helped that. I do still feel a bit more clumsy when i go out to play the puck, and during scrambles, but my crease movements dont feel bad. I really noticed the weight this time, they where so light, and felt more balanced on the leg than my bauers did, which i think is a big part of how much they feel like they weigh.

I find the speed skin and sliding was not so great on a CCM E3.9 set I tried recently, especially once the ice got a little rough.  My all weave Eflex 3's slide much better in those conditions.  I don't know, just wasn't impressed with speed skin, at least not on a senior level pad.

4 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Using jenpro for 7-8 years and putting on speedskin there is a difference, it's very small but there is.  No, it will not be a rocket @Znowleopard haha but you will notice a difference.  For my game, I wouldn't want to be sliding a rocket anyways haha :) 

Great that you're getting used to them, I still got 4 more weeks!

yes i did notice the difference, but it wasnt as much as i had expected, but its all good, every little bit helps

34 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

@Znowleopard how was the late game sliding? (When the ice is choppy and not good)

Well so far ive only played twice after a 5 week break, so im not sure i can answer the question too well, as i dont know how much of the sliding performance is me being out of shape and how much is the speedskin, if that makes sense, ill come back with a better answer in 2 weeks

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Znowleopard said:

Ive noticed that after only few uses the side of the landing area is starting to fray.... any idea whta i could do about this?

1773451600_2018-08-0122_43_05.thumb.jpg.5973939753e15e8453ffa7ebc9f9ce98.jpg

Hey Znowleopard! UK Uni must be around the corner, huh?

Not saying that I have personally tried this, but is this maybe one of those things that clear nail polish could fix?

You could also just play stand-up :giggle:

Cheers bud!

Just now, Lucky Pucker said:

Hey Znowleopard! UK Uni must be around the corner, huh?

Not saying that I have personally tried this, but is this maybe one of those things that clear nail polish could fix?

You could also just play stand-up :giggle:

Cheers bud!

Haha we start late , end of September .

Maybe ill look into it,

well i guess if i don't like making any saves i could play stand up ;)

1 minute ago, Znowleopard said:

Haha we start late , end of September .

Maybe ill look into it,

well i guess if i don't like making any saves i could play stand up ;)

Making saves is WAY over-rated. Look at it this way: if you make lots of saves, then you will have one team that likes you (your own... unless they know you - lol!). BUT, if you don't make a lot of saves, then you will have EVERY OTHER TEAM in your league like you! That's math - solid math, at that. And I should know, because I won a math competition in grade 7.

Besides, my understanding is that hockey goalering is about popularity and looking good in sweet gear. I am VERY popular.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Making saves is WAY over-rated. Look at it this way: if you make lots of saves, then you will have one team that likes you (your own... unless they know you - lol!). BUT, if you don't make a lot of saves, then you will have EVERY OTHER TEAM in your league like you! That's math - solid math, at that. And I should know, because I won a math competition in grade 7.

Besides, my understanding is that hockey goalering is about popularity and looking good in sweet gear. I am VERY popular.

Flawless calculations there, ill definitely follow your advice :)

On 5/23/2018 at 5:33 PM, Znowleopard said:

So this is the first impressions, ill add the review to this topic in a month or 2.

So here are the pads they arrived last week, ive used them once so far. Here are my observations.

P1090146.thumb.JPG.8ea3d345567bbefed945fedb2eeada48.JPG

I went with 34 plus 2 in the Crawford colours. My previouse set where bauer 4000x in a size 35 plus 1, i was a little nervous about sizing as there seems to be lots of different opinions on how the premier line sits.

P1090172.thumb.JPG.bf24f24939efb6e36cc2c0631fbbf46f.JPG

As you can see the p2.9 only sit about 1 inch higher, and its also true when wearing them.

P1090155.thumb.JPG.eccebc4a83e999d416a392054f5d755f.JPG

One of my main reasosn for wanting new pads was because i felt like some of the goals i was letting in where due to how badly the thing rise sealed , looking here at the p2.9s they seal very well.

P1090157.thumb.JPG.de6a7c7c6f4d1d1063d905e0f2802b6a.JPG

I noticed when i took them out of the box that they where slightly twisted and weird, after a week of sitting out they seem to have straighten them selves out.

P1090151.thumb.JPG.5c3c8b4ba0fe9dcd6f929f53be2fad99.JPG

I aslso noticed a few rough edges and some loose stitching, i guess that's part of buying a senior pad.

P1090148.thumb.JPG.1b3b021c75f4bdd0a1b69eb814af73c4.JPG

Heres a pretty good picture of the speed skin, the pads slide pretty well, especially compered to my bauers. It took 5 mins to get used to the sliding and after that i didnt think about it too much.

P1090152.thumb.JPG.ab1d93e01b452c171f77ea788b196f75.JPGP1090173.thumb.JPG.efce2e5a0739ba0bb24b7e853686c824.JPG

P1090160.thumb.JPG.006e98fbd9330642c03a521eb23bbfa2.JPG

Out of the box they have a decent curve, i will try to straighten them out a little as i think the curve above the knee is a little too much.

P1090159.thumb.JPG.36345db315a7a2c69d7ee399638e0f6b.JPGP1090162.thumb.JPG.6faad60ad9f7a47f0c82fb0223848622.JPG

The strapping is pretty amazing, super simple and quick to put on. For my first skate i used the Medium strap as tight as possible, kept the nylon strap very loose, and strapped across the knee. I found this too tight and found that the pad didn't rotate quite as well as i wanted it to.

P1090164.thumb.JPG.3e14910cd6fcef6e04ced3e06b06c286.JPG

The knee landing feels really nice, soft to land on but not floppy and feels connected to the pad.

P1090165.thumb.JPG.bb40e3a01177e79e45eca02ab6a4830c.JPG

The leg channel is very smooth and is nice and wide.

P1090166.thumb.JPG.d95d7758557dd4d0c44c94d9ef886cc1.JPGP1090167.thumb.JPG.b29e37136e39b639f23655a8b76a62f2.JPGP1090168.thumb.JPG.9dbdd1cd9f56552a6bb5f1e27c7def4b.JPG

Im not sure if i will keep the bootstrap in, im not a fan of how stiff the plastic strap is and if i decide to keep it ill change it out with a leather strap.

P1090169.thumb.JPG.79b684000e7774e8799c73633adc8106.JPGP1090170.thumb.JPG.34835648fbda22d29b2b3f90f0b28f7d.JPG

The biggest difference i noticed so far is how thick the thigh rise is, not so much the actually thigh rise on the inner side is, you can see that the bauer thigh rise is alot thinner at 37mm compered to the 65mm on the CCMs, this is probably whats going to take the longest to get used to, as i overlap the thigh rise when im in my stance, and i found during my first skate that my pads got caught on each other.  Also knee landing is making it impossible to put the pads vertically together(not that it really matters).

How did you get this color scheme?

Archived