Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

I dont have a problem with it. If she can play, she can play. Things get worked out over time so we'll see.

I agree. She's good enough to be committed to play women's college hockey, so I'd be interested to see how her career progresses.

Hopefully women's pro hockey will be a viable thing by the time she graduates, because right now the two active pro leagues are very small and peripheral compared to men's pro hockey. 

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

First official game first unofficial shutout. Other team only had two players show up so they forfeited. Ended up using the ice for a team scrimmage with me switching ends every 10 minutes.  

We won 5-1 and they got their last goal with two minutes left. 

I envy your shutout 

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

We won 5-1 and they got their last goal with two minutes left. 

I envy your shutout 

Heartbreak. Did you let thoughts of the goose egg creep into your brainspace? Was it a legit goal? Defensive breakdown? As much as the guys hustle in front of me sometimes I find generally the generic men's leaguer doesn't carry the same appetite to complete the effort of a shutout as we do/would do. I'm talking when I used to skate out and the other guy was carrying a shutout with two minutes left - I'd be diving to block shots. Admittedly - that might be overkill now that I'm in my 40's.

3 hours ago, chile57 said:

Heartbreak. Did you let thoughts of the goose egg creep into your brainspace? Was it a legit goal? Defensive breakdown? As much as the guys hustle in front of me sometimes I find generally the generic men's leaguer doesn't carry the same appetite to complete the effort of a shutout as we do/would do. I'm talking when I used to skate out and the other guy was carrying a shutout with two minutes left - I'd be diving to block shots. Admittedly - that might be overkill now that I'm in my 40's.

You're damn right I was thinking shutout. 

It was a good shot. Guy shot off the rush, used my D as a screen and it hit my right shoulder, crossbar and straight down. 

Beauty of a goal. 

Edited by coopaloop1234

9 minutes ago, chile57 said:

@coopaloop1234 so you jinxed yourself. 😂 

Shutouts in mens league are so hit or miss. Rarely are they a function of solid hockey - need a bit of luck along the way.

I don't get shutouts. Two games in this stretch to the 'ship had the other team scoring late. 

Both goals were great goals, so I can't be too upset, but being that close is always just a kick to the balls haha. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't get shutouts. Two games in this stretch to the 'ship had the other team scoring late. 

Both goals were great goals, so I can't be too upset, but being that close is always just a kick to the balls haha. 

"I don't get shutouts."

None of us do with any regularity - that's why we're playing beer league behind suspect defense that is more concerned with lighting up the scoreboard and winning 7-6 rather than just waiting to capitalize on the other teams mistakes and win 2-0 or 1-0. 🤣

Plus I don't know what your guys beer league teams look like but where I'm at its rarely built from the goalie out - meaning - rarely are your best skaters playing "D". All those guys want to go coast to coast Connor McDavid style, light the lamp and play forward. Frequently the "D" are shoehorned into it (and not so secretly all want to score too).

Edited by chile57

1 hour ago, chile57 said:

"I don't get shutouts."

None of us do with any regularity - that's why we're playing beer league behind suspect defense that is more concerned with lighting up the scoreboard and winning 7-6 rather than just waiting to capitalize on the other teams mistakes and win 2-0 or 1-0. 🤣

Plus I don't know what your guys beer league teams look like but where I'm at its rarely built from the goalie out - meaning - rarely are your best skaters playing "D". All those guys want to go coast to coast Connor McDavid style, light the lamp and play forward. Frequently the "D" are shoehorned into it (and not so secretly all want to score too).

That's exactly why I'm glad to be out of the lower divisions. They're such a mess to play in. 

I feel lucky playing in the higher divisions, everyone knows how to play as a team and there is a strong defensive component. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chile57 said:

"I don't get shutouts."

For the longest time my team was built with 1 actual dman.  Always had forwards "playing D."  I finally got some stout dmen to join the team and I ended up leaving for my other team.  🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

For the longest time my team was built with 1 actual dman.  Always had forwards "playing D."  I finally got some stout dmen to join the team and I ended up leaving for my other team.  🤷‍♂️

Weird; on my team, they have fights about who “has to play up” when we have too many D. 

Average age is approximately 56, so that might have something to do with it.

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Just heard Trav will be in the Fed which is hilarious to me because one of my teammates last year made a Fed team after we had a 3-44-0 season in the NA3HL. Clearly the bar is super low to get into that league and Trav barely scraped by getting on an expansion team

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Just heard Trav will be in the Fed which is hilarious to me because one of my teammates last year made a Fed team after we had a 3-44-0 season in the NA3HL. Clearly the bar is super low to get into that league and Trav barely scraped by getting on an expansion team

I grew to dislike Trav quite quickly. Not that I ever want to see a dude not do well. But I understand how coaches and the like interact with him, His responses were then looney in that somehow they were against him. Sorry bro... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MTH said:

I grew to dislike Trav quite quickly. Not that I ever want to see a dude not do well. But I understand how coaches and the like interact with him, His responses were then looney in that somehow they were against him. Sorry bro... 

Dude is a decent cinematographer and I think that does a lot to carry his channel and vids. Without those smoke and mirrors, you can see that his videos are lacking, especially his recent ones. 

If you filter his videos by view count, the majority of his top vids are when we has getting regular playing time in Junior B (4/5 years ago). Since he's not good enough to get regular playing time, his video content has suffered for it. 

Dude's channel would probably have a better success rate if he was playing beer league and put the same effort in on his videos to create a beer league blog instead. 

Playing in the show ain't happening man. You can barely crack the line up of a div 3 league in Sweden at 26. 

26 minutes ago, MTH said:

Their gear game is strong AF. Give them hell.

Maybe replace the stars with maple leafs and you'd be right. 

Edited by coopaloop1234

22 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

That's great for him. Maybe he can parlay his time in the Fed into an ECHL contract. 

12 hours ago, MTH said:

Yeah I’m not sure if I’d like the way he publicizes his career on youtube and such if I were a coach either, and he doesn’t exactly have the best attitude about it either 

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 1:56 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I bet they look at him as more of a marketing tool.

• Like 1