Hockey Chat Thread

SaveByRichter35

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

You gotta do what you gotta do.

I mean, the old team were a great group too off the ice which is what made it a difficult decision. Six Championships and a lot of years (beers) together definitely makes moving on difficult.

However, even my fiancee noted how much I complained about the level of hockey that this team played at.

It was a case of: love the guys, hate the hockey.

27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So made a tough decision to leave my team of 8-9 years for a team that plays better hockey. I'll now be on two teams that are closer to the same level of hockey instead of wildly varying between high level and low level hockey.

New team is a good group of guys I've played on and off with over the years, even won a 'ship with them too. So it's not like I'm solely leaving for the hockey.

Still, feels like I broke up with my girlfriend to be with my other, hotter girlfriend.

That is really tough.

Very similar situation with my new team: better hockey,  subbed several times, great locker room, fun group.  I felt selfish and petty and heartbroken to have to breakup with my old team.  Took me 3 or 4 days after the invite for me to be able to say Yes and actually write the email,  which felt gross. 

Absolutely the right call for me and no regrets now, but man it was tough. 

Ultimately I suppose it is selfish and that accusation from the old team is too easy and inevitable from some guys.  It's so easy to be offended or insulted by us moving up for better hockey.  At the end of the day though, we deserve to play where we belong and choose. 

The fact that you feel bad and are having some empathy is good and shows you're not doing it for shitty reasons. I'm glad you're doing it, it's the right call Coop.

But damn.  My breakup email sat in my draft box for days.  Framing and wording things diplomatically and empathically are not my strong suit at all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

That is really tough.

Very similar situation with my new team: better hockey,  subbed several times, great locker room, fun group.  I felt selfish and petty and heartbroken to have to breakup with my old team.  Took me 3 or 4 days after the invite for me to be able to say Yes and actually write the email,  which felt gross. 

Absolutely the right call for me and no regrets now, but man it was tough. 

Ultimately I suppose it is selfish and that accusation from the old team is too easy and inevitable from some guys.  It's so easy to be offended or insulted by us moving up for better hockey.  At the end of the day though, we deserve to play where we belong and choose. 

The fact that you feel bad and are having some empathy is good and shows you're not doing it for shitty reasons. I'm glad you're doing it, it's the right call Coop.

But damn.  My breakup email sat in my draft box for days.  Framing and wording things diplomatically and empathically are not my strong suit at all.

And the parallels continue to grow. Yea, I think gross is the correct feeling I had too.

Though it's fun to see other people's take on it as "fuck it, party on".

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And the parallels continue to grow. Yea, I think gross is the correct feeling I had too.

Though it's fun to see other people's take on it as "fuck it, party on".

Ha, yeah.

I remember the first time I ran into one of the old team guys at a rink. I was playing the next game, he was coming off the ice. I'm stretching and he approaches from behind and says:

"So you're too good for us, huh?"  Which I suppose is the inevitable, guaranteed backhand slap of a chirp.  I just said "No, I don't think that and I never said that. I just got an offer I couldn't refuse and that was it.  It was tough, believe me"

Perhaps I took it too literally but he understood and we chatted. It was awkard, for sure. 

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Ha, yeah.

I remember the first time I ran into one of the old team guys at a rink. I was playing the next game, he was coming off the ice. I'm stretching and he approaches from behind and says:

"So you're too good for us, huh?"  Which I suppose is the inevitable, guaranteed backhand slap of a chirp.  I just said "No, I don't think that and I never said that. I just got an offer I couldn't refuse and that was it.  It was tough, believe me"

Perhaps I took it too literally but he understood and we chatted. It was awkard, for sure. 

I'm guessing you definitely did take it too seriously, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. 

I'll still probably see the old team around as one of my teams still play out of that arena, but luckily my new team plays elsewhere. We'll see how much resentment comes of it, ha! I doubt much, but whatever.

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Now my biggest issue is that my pads don't even match my new team either. We're blackhawk colours. lol

Oh boy.  Here we go.  Gotta rally up the crew on here and we will help you take care of this very serious, existential, deeply troubling problem at once.  We are here for you. 

The gross part is done now damnit let's have some fun. 

On 8/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, seagoal said:

Oh boy.  Here we go.  Gotta rally up the crew on here and we will help you take care of this very serious, existential, deeply troubling problem at once.  We are here for you. 

The gross part is done now damnit let's have some fun. 

Question is:

OnlyFans?

Or

GoFundme?

Coop when you say Blackhawks, are we talking red, black, and white....or...with the little greens and oranges and yellows too.

If you say the former this is getting creepy.

P.S. how sick would it be if Fleury got solid green or yellow or orange gear for the Blackhawks?  Ballsy move but I support it.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dretti33 said:

Depends on how much you're willing to show hahaha ;)

I'm not above any sort of depravity for a free set of gear.

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Coop when you say Blackhawks, are we talking red, black, and white....or...with the little greens and oranges and yellows too.

If you say the former this is getting creepy.

P.S. how sick would it be if Fleury got solid green or yellow or orange gear for the Blackhawks?  Ballsy move but I support it.

Here's the jerseys. We have black alternates as well.

2146731011_SDChamps-2019.thumb.jpg.53a7cbabc73ef43a4434f0a8fed2b174.jpg

19 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm not above any sort of depravity for a free set of gear.

Here's the jerseys. We have black alternates as well.

2146731011_SDChamps-2019.thumb.jpg.53a7cbabc73ef43a4434f0a8fed2b174.jpg

Sweet, I like the skull on the logo.  Yeah, well, looks like you are destined for similar gear as mine.  Are you not using your red set at all anymore?

On 8/5/2021 at 2:22 PM, seagoal said:

Sweet, I like the skull on the logo.  Yeah, well, looks like you are destined for similar gear as mine.  Are you not using your red set at all anymore?

Sold it to a buddy of mine who's a budding goaltender.

And realistically I won't be getting new gear anyways unless it's funded from outside means. My blue set has had a year of use on it. Still tons of life left.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Sold it to a buddy of mine who's a budding goaltender.

And realistically I won't be getting new gear anyways unless it's funded from outside means. My blue set has had a year of use on it. Still tons of life left.

Fair enough.  I probably should sell my blue set at this point but I just don't have the heart to do it yet.  Too much love and appreciation for it still .

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You helmet painted yet? I'm sure that'll help push the scales towards selling it.

Being painted as we speak.  No updates yet, but he's had it for 2 weeks.  And yes, you are correct on that.

Edited by seagoal

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Quick mock up of a design that I'm 80% happy with. Needs some tweaks, but fun to think about.

Though, I still feel limited with Warrior's graphic options. The lower white portion of the pad are single colour zones which, like my GT2, feels like it suffocates the design process a bit.

At least the leaks form the G6 look to show a graphic that goes across the entire face of the pad...

Untitled.png.5cdafcf0354969ade0a79ba741a79ff9.pngUntitled2.png.04fcff31aeb780cc106564edd0537c09.pngUntitled3.thumb.png.5a9c0a2b31b659c8c59fd9b535eb358a.pngUntitled4.thumb.png.caf38c8d57a1a32bf8f327c2c163c153.png

23 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Quick mock up of a design that I'm 80% happy with. Needs some tweaks, but fun to think about.

Though, I still feel limited with Warrior's graphic options. The lower white portion of the pad are single colour zones which, like my GT2, feels like it suffocates the design process a bit.

At least the leaks form the G6 look to show a graphic that goes across the entire face of the pad...

Untitled.png.5cdafcf0354969ade0a79ba741a79ff9.pngUntitled2.png.04fcff31aeb780cc106564edd0537c09.pngUntitled3.thumb.png.5a9c0a2b31b659c8c59fd9b535eb358a.pngUntitled4.thumb.png.caf38c8d57a1a32bf8f327c2c163c153.png

Looks fantastic to me.  I especially like the wraparound effect of the sport gold on the blocker and pads.

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

@Chenner29

going back to our higher vs lower level hockey discussion, here's how my current season is shaping up.

Higher level main team-Divison 4/5:

image.png.bf588971343919175fdea3968a4e7e86.png

Lower level team-Division 5/6:

image.png.94f6037f6c189d42fced85b44bc6f42f.png

Tells a story, that's for sure.

Those 11 and 8 goal games sure do. whooooooooooo boyyyyyy

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Those 11 and 8 goal games sure do. whooooooooooo boyyyyyy

ha, yeah.  There is a point, at times, where you just kinda stop caring and can't fight anymore. I've gotten pretty good at emotional and mental resiliency over the years, but I do crack sometimes.  The 11 goal game was a treat.  To be fair, this is a draft league in the 40+ division and we were missing our #1 and #2 players for the first 3 games.  In a draft league, that's enormous.

Playing goalie can feel so lonely and helpless sometimes.

Interesting on the main team loss, that was against a team not in our league.  We have occasional regional games and these guys whooped our asses.  I faced 8 breakaways that game, stopped 5.

Edited by seagoal

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

ha, yeah.  There is a point, at times, where you just kinda stop caring and can't fight anymore. I've gotten pretty good at emotional and mental resiliency over the years, but I do crack sometimes.  The 11 goal game was a treat.  To be fair, this is a draft league in the 40+ division and we were missing our #1 and #2 players for the first 3 games.  In a draft league, that's enormous.

Draft leagues are always something interesting to me. My dad's old timers league was more of a collection of 4-5 teams and they'd switch up everybody each year. So everyone got a chance to play with everyone and got a chance to be on the good team or bad team.

Their end of year parties were something, let me tell ya. You have a collection of 60-70 40+ hockey players that are all friends get together for beers. Those old guys start to get real rowdy.

• Like 1