So currently I have been using the eco pro foam in my Bauer 960xpm for roughly 3 weeks now, I thought i would post to give a basic run down of how I replaced it. To start I’ve had my 960 for nearly 4 years and roughly 4-5 seasons of ice nearly daily, the manufacturing date was in April of 2016 so as you could imagine the padding was pretty worn out by this time and it was honestly starting to almost fall out in some spots on the helmet, I only replaced the foam as hopefully I’ll get a new helmet but didn’t currently have the cash to replace mid season, so I ordered the mask padding replacement from goalieparts (https://goalieparts.com/products/ECOKIT.html) in hope that this will suffice until I can get a new helmet.
So fast forward to installing it I thought it would be super easy as just taking out the old foam and replacing it but it was a little more than just that. so to start I took everything apart of the mask (that I could) as having this for a few years I didn’t even think about there being potential rusting in some spots which there were.
I had to X-acto knife the lower half of the padding as those screws were rusted into my shell, the other thing I didn’t realize at the very start was that the screws had a anchor into the padding and these “anchors” are required to install things such as the cage and what hold your straps on, so I cut those out and used the included instant contact glue to put them back into the mask (pictured below) before I started laying out the padding and installed it.
Installing the backplate was probably the hardest thing that I had to do while installing it as the shape of the Bauer backplate is a little different than the foams are made for so you can see the lines that I made but I had to cut little slits in them so that the foam would fold properly onto the back plate.
After that I moved onto the main sections and surprisingly to me I didn’t have to cut anything to fit as there are a good amount of options that are pre-cut, I included the pictures of the final and I was happy with how I laid out the foam, I still have some left over and when I first installed it I didn’t use the contact glue as there was an adhesive on the backside of the foams, so far again using this almost daily for three weeks I have had no problems, the foams are super comfortable and you can customize it just how you want it to be on your head, as I did stack some of the thinner pieces in a couple different spots on the helmet (forehead and temples)
Obviously this was not just a little project as this took me roughly 4 hours from start to finish to complete with just planning out how I was going to do this along with working around a few rusted bolts. Hopefully this will come in use for anyone that may be in the same situation and is looking for a similar fix. If you have any questions about anything specifically let me know and I’ll help as best as I can.