Vaughn SLR Pro carbon vs SLR2 Pro carbon

Llew81

Ok, being in the UK we don't get a chance to try these things. I've seen what looks like a pretty good deal for a Vaughn SLR Pro carbon blocker and wondering if there is any real material difference between this and the SLR2 Pro carbon that justifies the significantly higher price?

Also, I currently have the warrior r/gt2 (non Pro) version. Is the Vaughn SLR Pro carbon going to be much different to that?

I have changed from my old warrior G4 pads to a set of Vaughn SLR2 pads and am wondering if it might be worth doing the blocker too. From a vanity point of view it would be nice to have more of a matching set.. the original SLR is close enough to the SLR2 pads in terms of appearance for me, really just wondering if there is much of a difference between the SLR Pro carbon and SLR 2 pro carbon.

Thanks

Rhod

52 minutes ago, Llew81 said:

Ok, being in the UK we don't get a chance to try these things. I've seen what looks like a pretty good deal for a Vaughn SLR Pro carbon blocker and wondering if there is any real material difference between this and the SLR2 Pro carbon that justifies the significantly higher price?

Also, I currently have the warrior r/gt2 (non Pro) version. Is the Vaughn SLR Pro carbon going to be much different to that?

I have changed from my old warrior G4 pads to a set of Vaughn SLR2 pads and am wondering if it might be worth doing the blocker too. From a vanity point of view it would be nice to have more of a matching set.. the original SLR is close enough to the SLR2 pads in terms of appearance for me, really just wondering if there is much of a difference between the SLR Pro carbon and SLR 2 pro carbon.

Thanks

Rhod

The changes in any Vaughn gear from generation to generation are very minimal.  It's pretty rare over the years that Vaughn has introduced anything drastically different in the next generation, say 1 to 2, 4 to 5, whatever it might be.  Personally I would say if you are comfortable with the feel of an Ventus blocker in general (they do have a specific feel that I, as a lifelong Vaughn guy, do not like at all) and you would have no problem using one, the difference between generation 1 and 2 is not significant.  Just get the good deal on the SLR1.

As for the difference between the SLR blocker and a Warrior r/gt2, that is going to be a huge difference and one that is that quite significant.  I urge you to be cautious and think carefully about what you do or do not like about your Warrior blocker and really understand how it compares to a Vaughn SLR blocker.

Brand to brand, blockers feel and look very, very different and changing can be awkward.  Within any brand from generation to generation, blockers evolve minimally and changing will mostly be easy and seamless.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Cool that's good to know in regards to the Vaughn's and their iterations.. I find the warrior a little wobbly unless I yank the wrist strap right down.. can't say it's a major issue and it's all I've known.. there is no chance of me trying this thing on as there basically are no shops here.. anyone used both the SLR Pro carbon and warrior gt2 can give a feel of their differences? I don't have the "Pro" version of the gt2, wld there be a significant difference in terms of going from the standard senior models to the "Pro" or in this case "Pro carbon" Vaughn?

7 minutes ago, Llew81 said:

Cool that's good to know in regards to the Vaughn's and their iterations.. I find the warrior a little wobbly unless I yank the wrist strap right down.. can't say it's a major issue and it's all I've known.. there is no chance of me trying this thing on as there basically are no shops here.. anyone used both the SLR Pro carbon and warrior gt2 can give a feel of their differences? I don't have the "Pro" version of the gt2, wld there be a significant difference in terms of going from the standard senior models to the "Pro" or in this case "Pro carbon" Vaughn?

No, the Pro designation means nothing in terms of brand to brand feel or even within a brand.  Comparing a non-pro Warrior to a Pro Vaughn has nothing to do with the Pro designation.

If you blindly tried on an SLR blocker side by side with an SLR Pro Carbon blocker, there is no difference in feel.  The difference is in materials used, where it's made, durability, etc.  There will be some minor construction differences, but not enough to produce a different, substantial feel.

Edited by seagoal

So what do you think would be better to get.. an SLR Pro carbon or an SLR2 (non carbon) if they were the same price? Does the updated design of the SLR2 trump the 'carbon' designation of the older line? Would the rebounds be better from the carbon given it should in theory be stiffer than the SLR2 without the carbon?

1 hour ago, Llew81 said:

So what do you think would be better to get.. an SLR Pro carbon or an SLR2 (non carbon) if they were the same price? Does the updated design of the SLR2 trump the 'carbon' designation of the older line? Would the rebounds be better from the carbon given it should in theory be stiffer than the SLR2 without the carbon?

How used is the SLR pro carbon?  Can you post pics?

How many times do you play in a week and at what level?

Personally, if I had to choose between an SLR pro carbon or an SLR2 senior for the exact same price, I'd choose the former assuming it is not trashed.  If it was frayed or cut or damaged at all and too "used", I'd choose the latter.

Yes, in a controlled setting all things being equal, the pro carbon will give off hotter rebounds than senior model.

Both brand new.. I just play for fun a couple times a week.. I'm quite certain I don't "need" half this stuff, but I do like to have good gear if possible. I'd love to have a wonder around a good shop and try all these things but we just have nothing over here

On 5/20/2021 at 1:44 PM, Llew81 said:

Both brand new.. I just play for fun a couple times a week.. I'm quite certain I don't "need" half this stuff, but I do like to have good gear if possible. I'd love to have a wonder around a good shop and try all these things but we just have nothing over here

"Need" is a very powerful,  misunderstood,  controversial word and we don't like that word around here :)

Well, keep us posted on what you get and post pics when you can.  I think you can't go wrong either way, just go with your gut and get what you think you'll enjoy the most. 

Either choice is good.