Ultrasonics to hyperlites?

eprex

Currently own ultrasonics and they are fantastic but a few things are enticing me to switch to hyperlites. One, I prefer 590 break gloves. Two, my flexibility is not great right now, and I may benefit from a slightly softer thigh rise.

My main concerns are custom ordering the new pads. I would likely go a flex between US and hyperlite (the hyperlites look a little too soft in hockeyreviewCA video). In terms of the knee block, I dont mind the US knee block and how rigid it is. Can anyone who has tried both speak to which one they prefer and why? Im worried about moving to the hyperlite knee block and not liking it. Boot flex - the US lack of flex doesnt bother me, but maybe i could benefit from a little more boot flex. Thick or thin is kind of my question.

Im still in the research phase here, so I would definitely talk to a rep before ordering. Just want to hear from people who have owned both or at least one or the other.

The flex between the Hyperlite and the US is the shape that was on the 2X pads. I got the stock Hyperlite flex and I'm happy with my choice. It doesn't really flex in game; it's more about the shape that the core is built in, from my experience. Both the custom flex profile and the US knee block on the Hyperlite are ProCustom level only options, so you would have access to all the possible options with this route. With this route, you can also get the steeper boot of the US on the Hyperlite (if that is your preference).

I got the US knee block on my Hyperlite set and I've been incredibly happy with it so far. I love that it doesn't have any wiggle and that it transfers your energy without any lag time. It has a perfect seal on the ice every time. From what I have seen, the Hyperlite knee block doesn't have that much more movement in it, so it may be more a mental thing. I personally prefer the softer, flatter boot of the Vapor line; I feel like it lets me pre-load my movements easier. 

4 hours ago, Teezle said:

The flex between the Hyperlite and the US is the shape that was on the 2X pads. I got the stock Hyperlite flex and I'm happy with my choice. It doesn't really flex in game; it's more about the shape that the core is built in, from my experience. Both the custom flex profile and the US knee block on the Hyperlite are ProCustom level only options, so you would have access to all the possible options with this route. With this route, you can also get the steeper boot of the US on the Hyperlite (if that is your preference).

I got the US knee block on my Hyperlite set and I've been incredibly happy with it so far. I love that it doesn't have any wiggle and that it transfers your energy without any lag time. It has a perfect seal on the ice every time. From what I have seen, the Hyperlite knee block doesn't have that much more movement in it, so it may be more a mental thing. I personally prefer the softer, flatter boot of the Vapor line; I feel like it lets me pre-load my movements easier. 

Thanks for the great response. Yes I would be ordering these custom. So did you order the "thick" or "thin" boot?  Also good to know about the flex. I do really enjoy my US but there's not infrequently a little gap in the bfly due to my poor flexibility.

1 hour ago, eprex said:

Thanks for the great response. Yes I would be ordering these custom. So did you order the "thick" or "thin" boot?  Also good to know about the flex. I do really enjoy my US but there's not infrequently a little gap in the bfly due to my poor flexibility.

The thick vs. thin is more for the shin area, not the boot itself. I know it says boot on the customizer, but it's adding width to the shin area. It does look like they removed the ability to get the US boot on the Hyperlite though - no 125 degree option anymore. You can get the flatter 100 degree boot on the US, though.

image.png.b9e138e829c60f8ab311adc05213d6c9.png

As it was explained to me, there isn't really a difference; it's mostly about how you like your pads to feel. You may get slightly hotter rebounds off the "thin" version, if they are using a higher density layup of foam(s) (i.e. if thin vs. thick weigh the same on the finished pad, the thin version would have to be higher density). I got the "thin" (stock) version. I don't think it makes a difference. I believe that the stock US pads are the "thick" version, so the "thick" would look like your current pads and the thin would be a little thinner.