Good setup for nylon straps & plastic buckles while being able to quickly swap out?

OldSchoolGoalie

Many years ago I remember a post and it might have been on the old goalieboard forums where someone had a setup where they could easily swap out buckles in the event they would break but it wasn't a dual sided one if I recall. I cannot find an cached version anywhere.

I'm thinking about just swapping out all my leather straps (not sure about the bootstrap and how that would work with nylon). My main concern is being able to replace the plastic buckles in the event they break from a shot, or dropping down, anything really.

The only thing I can think of off the bat is this:

image.png.86db080515f49409529cc32d3b8fb0b6.png

I'm trying to avoid the situation where I have the one end sewed in:

image.png.0c38619a337f9d1f4facbb2ae0e6f469.png

Now I haven't done this set up before, however prior for my inline pads I actually had the shop just install nylon straps with the buckles but they were sewed in. It was just so quick and easy to get more fine adjustments than leather. Also lasted me a few years and no problems.

I also assume I need one of these on each side before the buckle? 

image.png.2f752efcd206b0145b61de156db7bd12.png

Thanks for any help! I can probably do this myself as I have a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl and a bunch of sewing stuff.

For the bootstrap part I could leave the leather if nylon won't work, but maybe it might be a good time to just try toe ties?

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

Many years ago I remember a post and it might have been on the old goalieboard forums where someone had a setup where they could easily swap out buckles in the event they would break but it wasn't a dual sided one if I recall. I cannot find an cached version anywhere.

I'm thinking about just swapping out all my leather straps (not sure about the bootstrap and how that would work with nylon). My main concern is being able to replace the plastic buckles in the event they break from a shot, or dropping down, anything really.

The only thing I can think of off the bat is this:

image.png.86db080515f49409529cc32d3b8fb0b6.png

I'm trying to avoid the situation where I have the one end sewed in:

image.png.0c38619a337f9d1f4facbb2ae0e6f469.png

Now I haven't done this set up before, however prior for my inline pads I actually had the shop just install nylon straps with the buckles but they were sewed in. It was just so quick and easy to get more fine adjustments than leather. Also lasted me a few years and no problems.

I also assume I need one of these on each side before the buckle? 

image.png.2f752efcd206b0145b61de156db7bd12.png

Thanks for any help! I can probably do this myself as I have a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl and a bunch of sewing stuff.

For the bootstrap part I could leave the leather if nylon won't work, but maybe it might be a good time to just try toe ties?

How many leather straps are you using and wanting to replace? Where are they on your pads?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seagoal said:

How many leather straps are you using and wanting to replace? Where are they on your pads?

I would do the bootstrap if it would work with nylon and the right buckle that wont cause any issues, but I'm still thinking about just using toe ties and tossing the bootstrap out - not sure yet!

These are my other set of pads that are all leather. The red arrows are the only straps I really use. Bootstrap, then the next one up is pretty tight 8th hole, then above is about half of that, and the rest are on the first or second hole.

(They're randomly strapped now due to carrying them back from the rink and not wanting them loose)

image.thumb.png.378ee3d374cdaed135f5a707622aa5b3.png

Not sure I would need to replace the top two, or have anything there.