Pitch/height of various brands

History:

Growing up I was in a lot of various CCM Tacks.

My first more "modern" skate was Bauer Vapor XXX's. They latest for the longest time and they were my favourite skate. 

Recently (2018) bought some Bauer One.9's. Also first time in step steel. They really felt like I was on my heels a lot and I worked with my LHS to pitch them a bit more forward. I'm used to them now but still thinking about that older XXX fit. 

I understand the that the older cowlings sat lower and I probably got more forward flex with the less stiff boot in the XXX's. I have also read on here that the current Bauer's are actually pitched forward (not sure if this was true for the One.9's in the Vertexx 2.0 holder) but it didn't feel like that to me. 

I'm considering buying a new pair of skates and I was wondering what y'all would recommend:

1. From this forum I assume the cowling-less skates sit even higher than what I'm used to so far. Is this true?
  2. What would be the best profiling to get the old XXX feel that I'm looking for or is it even possible?

7 hours ago, mossey3535 said:

I understand the that the older cowlings sat lower and I probably got more forward flex with the less stiff boot in the XXX's. I have also read on here that the current Bauer's are actually pitched forward (not sure if this was true for the One.9's in the Vertexx 2.0 holder) but it didn't feel like that to me. 

Bauer One.9s are not pitched forward 

1. True 

2. Seems there are two questions here as you touched on both profiling and boot fit in your post. 
What were your XXXs profiled at? If you don’t know or never did it to those skates then it’s possible they have rounded out over many years of sharpening. If that is the case it’s is basically impossible to diagnose over the internet. Some good skate shops can blade match your old steel to a new set. 
Fit will be tough to gauge as well but if you’re looking for more forward flex you can experiment with skipping any combination of the top two eyelets. Graf will have the softest boot out there and can build legacy models that were available around the time of the XXX 

• Like 1