Looking for Recommendation: Warrior GT4/G4 vs Brian's Gnetik 4 / Optik 2

OceanMon

Hi there

I've been riding a used Reebok Larceny Pro set for the past few years.  Looking to treat myself to a new catcher that I will use over the next few years and seeing if I could get someone's thoughts. 

I understand that gloves boil down to personal preference. 

However, I am curious if people think the Brian's gloves are worth the premium price over the Warriors.  It's a $640 vs $400 price difference for me. 

Thanks for the help!

Hi OceanMan,

I can’t speak for the warriors since I haven’t used one in so long, but I’ve had a GNetik 4 for about a year or a year and a half. I absolutely loved it, best glove I’ve ever used, and BY FAR the best broken in off the shelf. I doubt you’re going custom for just a glove, but if you do, it’s even more broken in. I have an Optik 2 coming this summer along with the rest of the set, and I went with that glove instead of the GNetik because I like the shape of it more (having the curved fingertips at the end). For me though, the Optik 2 was really stiff off the shelf so I asked for extra break in time on the customizer. So here are my final thoughts on the Brian’s gloves - Gnetik: awesome glove right from the start, solid protection, great closure. Optik 2: can’t speak on the single T since I ordered mine double, but off the shelf if you’re willing to put in extra break in time I’m sure it’s a great glove as well, and seems to have a slightly bigger presentation from what I can tell. You should also try both on if you can and see if the 5 degree difference in break angles matters to you. Good luck!

5 hours ago, OceanMon said:

Thanks for the feedback!  

Assuming you hold your stick Turco style, was it comfortable and easy for you to shoot with the GNetik?

Yep! I use the Turco grip and the GNetik IV with the EF4 stick is the best shooting and stickhandling combo I’ve used to date. I’m interested to see how the Optik 2 performs, though, since it has a slightly more deep and defined break which might give a little more control on the stick. Either way, love the GNetik! Good luck with your choice and let me know what you choose! Many great options out there. 

side note, the BOA system on the Brian’s gloves is one of my favorite parts of the glove. It’s so nice to lock it in and not have to worry about your hand slipping out or back at all. Used a 2x pro glove on ice and it felt like I had no control over it due to my skinny wrists!

Such a difficult choice!

I've pulled the trigger on an Optik 2 for the following reasons:

- you can open up the backside fully for airing out.

- the break, from what I can tell,  is closer to a 90 degree break so should be better for stick handling Turco style

- I like the idea that the fingers are more curved than pancake.  My mind tells me that will trap more pucks.

I requested for more time on the machine as well.  Got a double T with skate lace.  

I imagine that I'll adapt to whatever the glove is and be happy with it....as I have done with all the gloves I have used in my life.

Thanks for your help!!

44 minutes ago, OceanMon said:

Such a difficult choice!

I've pulled the trigger on an Optik 2 for the following reasons:

- you can open up the backside fully for airing out.

- the break, from what I can tell,  is closer to a 90 degree break so should be better for stick handling Turco style

- I like the idea that the fingers are more curved than pancake.  My mind tells me that will trap more pucks.

I requested for more time on the machine as well.  Got a double T with skate lace.  

I imagine that I'll adapt to whatever the glove is and be happy with it....as I have done with all the gloves I have used in my life.

Thanks for your help!!

Great choice! I completely agree with all of those. I'm looking forward to airing out the Optik 2 well since that was something I didn't do well on my Gnetik IV. And I also had the same thought about the curved fingers, I've had a couple shots hit the edge of my Gnetik and pop out and I think the shape of the Optik will help with that. I went Double T with nylon pocket, love the Double T. Got any pictures of it? Glad I could help!

10 hours ago, OceanMon said:

I'll send you pictures when it arrives. 

Please upload yours too!

So stoked!!

Sounds good! Unfortunately mine will be a little delayed due to the factory being shut down, but I fully support their decision! Here’s the preview - click the image for the full view. School colors, double T glove. 

https://imgur.com/a/jPkjQQ1

Does that link work?

Archived