Bigeasygator’s return to hockey 2017-2018

bigeasygator

Considering this is my first post here, I thought I’d provide a little backstory. I’m returning to the ice after a 15 year hiatus. I last played ACHA club hockey at the University of Florida and upon graduation in 2002, I moved to New Orleans — where they don’t have a rink. They do have a rink an hour or so away, and after playing in an alumni game earlier this year, I decided I wanted to get back in the game. And I figured what better way than to document my return here and share my progression with you all and maybe pick up a pointer or two along the way!

The position has changed quite a bit since I last played. I played my formative years in the heyday of Belfour, Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, and Joseph. Those were my goalie idols and the guys I patterned my game on 20 years ago. Butterfly was a style — now it’s a way of life. The butterfly mobility moves weren’t really possible in the equipment back then. As such, I always described my style as a flopper — quick to drop into the butterfly but pretty much would only be able to flip around from there! I’m hoping that as the skill, mobility, and confidence comes back I can modernize my game a bit.

Right now I’m very much still just trying to get my feet back under me. The new equipment (I’ve purchased both a set of Eflexes and Premiers) is taking some time to get used to and doesn’t translate to my game very well but I’m hanging in there. I’ve been having some issues with pad rotation at times that I know is just a matter of technique. Additionally, I play on the best team in the league and haven’t had too much game action thus far, which also makes it hard to knock off the 15 years of rust that have built up in my game.

I’m sitting at 4-0 with a GAA of 1.5 and a save percentage of .930 but a lot of that’s a credit to my team. The league is filled with a WIDE range of skills (not surprising in the hockey hotbed of Louisiana!) and that also makes it hard to really get into a rhythm. 

I decided to join the craze and got a GoPro. I went ahead and recorded the first period of my last game (my fourth game of the season). I didn’t get much action at all and of course there was a way more gameplay in the 2nd and 3rd at my end when I decided not to put up the camera! Figured I’d post it up anyway and join the fun here. There’s really not much to see but definitely planning on more in the future!

Is it just the video or is that rink super dark??

I am not good enough to give you any constructive feedback except to say that filming yourself and posting here is a great decision! Great way to get feedback - I can’t tell you how much it has helped my game (still not good, but getting there one day!). Good luck in your journey back to the net.

The rink is hands down the most ghetto rink I’ve ever seen! Yes the lighting is darker. Half of the glass around the arena isn’t glass at all. The ceilings are about 15 feet. And to top it off, there are no dressing rooms or showers — everyone gets dressed together in a big common area. But it’s still ice!

You can most definitely see the cement through the ice! The first time I stepped onto the ice about a month ago there were a few spots I was actually afraid at first to skate over. If you can believe it, the ice actually looks a lot better now haha as I understand it, basically the ice rink is closed and there is no ice from about April-October. Seems they struggle some with the shape of the ice when things first open up...that’s what I’m hoping for anyway - that it’ll continue to get better!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to breaking the GoPro out for another game.  This is my seventh game of the season and there was at least a bit more action in this game.  The league is a WIDE mix of talent, with every team having usually one or two really solid players, and also one or two players who are just about learning to skate...so don't expect to necessarily be wowed by the hockey being played! I also only got one period of action as I've decided to put the camera outside the glass...and unfortunately only one end of the rink actually has glass!  

This was a game we lost 6-2, though I only give up one goal in this period.  We were down a lot of players and some key defensemen (which is why I actually saw a bit more action!).  Getting a little more of the game action on camera shows more clearly that I've got a lot of work to do...so here comes excuse time!  I still am not entirely comfortable on my skates yet -- I don't, maybe that's expected after being away from the game for 15 years but I'm not as confident as I'd like to be with my skating.  While the equipment is breaking in a bit, it still feels really, really different playing with this "modern" equipment versus my last set which was purchased twenty years ago.  Like I said, the play can get very choppy and is a lot slower than the last competitive hockey I played and I find it really hard to get into a rhythm.  

I don't really have any butterfly mobility, and I find this is something that just doesn't come natural as I've never really been able to practice this technique.  Old habits are still hard to break and I find myself doing a lot of flopping.  I always played a bit aggressively as well and I think I lose my angles at times.  

As I said, I know I have lots of work to do.  They have a pickup of "A-league" players once a week and I'd really like to get out with them as I think it might help me find a little more rhythm.  In the meantime, I'm certainly open to some suggestions regarding both play and things to maybe practice when I can (which would be when there's a break in play).  

Archived