Brian's Optik 2 Goalie Pads and Catcher, G-Netik V Blocker (2022)

Lemieux

After trying out a few different sets of demo gear in early 2022, I placed my order for new goalie gear earlier this year in April. I recorded a video to explain why I ended up picking the set that I did, and I thought to share it here on TheGoalNet too!

In short:

Brian's Optik 2 goalie pads

• MAX profile has a pre-curved shape that fits with how I move.
  • Calf pillow helps to seal low shots, which sometimes surprises even me!

Brian's Optik 2 goalie catcher glove

• The full-hand 40 degree break is very comfortable on my hand.
  • It opens really wide to present big.

Brian's G-Netik V goalie blocker

• I prefer the sidewall on this model over the Optik 2.
  • It has Bri-Core in the board, which is a new material to reinforce this blocker.

The gear is slated to arrive in mid-late August 2022, so I'll say more once it arrives.

• Like 4

Funny that this is like the inverse in models of what I've been mostly using.

Some comments: The main thing I prefer about how the Optik blockers are done compared to the GNetik blockers is how the finger elastics are attached to the mitt: the elastics being anchored to the outside of the pinky and the index finger on the GNetik, and to the back of the fourth/ring finger and back of the index on the Optik 2. I also got the Bri-Core put in the board on my Optik 2, but will outright say the rebounds are clearly hotter off my GNetikV (more consistently, anyhow). The sidewall on the GNetikV is definitely more protective and not terribly restrictive, but the Optik 2 is more open (and familiar) feeling.

The GNetikV blocker is a really great blocker: its super well balanced, protective, responsive, goes paddle down nicely, kicks hot rebounds, etc. The only perceived downsides I have are the slightly restrictive fingers and that the cuff is less open than the Optik 2. 

Hope you're looking forward to your set and good luck. I'm pretty sure that whenever the Optik 3 line comes out, the changes on the iteration are going to end up making an incredibly performing pad for the general modern goalie.

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My custom order arrived in mid September (which included not only the Brian's set, but also McKenney XPG2 Pro pants and a custom crested Edmonton Oilers jersey), and I picked everything up at once. See below for pics and YouTube video I made of unboxing the gear. And my local hockey store, United Sport & Cycle, has a testing area so it was totally reasonable to try everything on right away, right??

New Gear Pickup 01.jpg

New Gear Pickup 02.jpg

New Gear Pickup 03.jpg

New Gear Pickup 04.jpg

New Gear Pickup 05.jpg

New Gear Pickup 06.jpg

New Gear Pickup 07.jpg

New Gear Pickup 08.jpg

New Gear Pickup 09.jpg

New Gear Pickup 10.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, keeperton said:

Funny that this is like the inverse in models of what I've been mostly using.

Some comments: The main thing I prefer about how the Optik blockers are done compared to the GNetik blockers is how the finger elastics are attached to the mitt: the elastics being anchored to the outside of the pinky and the index finger on the GNetik, and to the back of the fourth/ring finger and back of the index on the Optik 2. I also got the Bri-Core put in the board on my Optik 2, but will outright say the rebounds are clearly hotter off my GNetikV (more consistently, anyhow). The sidewall on the GNetikV is definitely more protective and not terribly restrictive, but the Optik 2 is more open (and familiar) feeling.

The GNetikV blocker is a really great blocker: its super well balanced, protective, responsive, goes paddle down nicely, kicks hot rebounds, etc. The only perceived downsides I have are the slightly restrictive fingers and that the cuff is less open than the Optik 2.

@keeperton Good point about finger elastics. I demoed several blockers and sometimes that was an annoying issue with having the elastics in a place that I wasn't used to. I have to admit that I didn't note any major issues with the elastic on the G-NETik V blocker. The cuff does feels a bit less open compares to my SubZero blocker, and I'll probably have more comments to add after I play in it a bit more.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, keeperton said:

Hope you're looking forward to your set and good luck. I'm pretty sure that whenever the Optik 3 line comes out, the changes on the iteration are going to end up making an incredibly performing pad for the general modern goalie.

I guess what I'd say is that I'm glad I placed my order when I did and received my gear now. The Optik line has found a good formula to deliver what it needs to do - unsurprising to see how many people still order Optik.

2 hours ago, Lemieux said:

@keeperton Good point about finger elastics. I demoed several blockers and sometimes that was an annoying issue with having the elastics in a place that I wasn't used to. I have to admit that I didn't note any major issues with the elastic on the G-NETik V blocker. The cuff does feels a bit less open compares to my SubZero blocker, and I'll probably have more comments to add after I play in it a bit more.

I guess what I'd say is that I'm glad I placed my order when I did and received my gear now. The Optik line has found a good formula to deliver what it needs to do - unsurprising to see how many people still order Optik.

I couldn't stand the placement of the finger elastics and they would roll under the palm when demoing it with a stick. When I custom ordered my gnetik v blocker I had elastics moved to finger tips. 

PXL_20221008_164349795.jpg

Edited by Madmedic6
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:49 AM, Madmedic6 said:

I couldn't stand the placement of the finger elastics and they would roll under the palm when demoing it with a stick. When I custom ordered my gnetik v blocker I had elastics moved to finger tips. 

PXL_20221008_164349795.jpg

@Madmedic6 Ohhhhh, this is a good point! I thought I was just waiting for that index finger to break in a bit more, but now I see that it's related to the elastic placement. I should've caught that. You're right - the index finger is the part that feels the most different from what I wanted in my blocker.

In the Optik 3, I see that they've placed the finger attachment behind the finger - so not at the finger tip, but behind the middle phalange. Smart tweak.