Oxyclean bath - first time!

OldSchoolGoalie

I need to really clean my gear and was wondering if submerging my blocker for 15 mins or so for a few cycles in an oxyclean bath is safe? Do I take the foam out of the blocker? If so how do I clean that if at all? I came across a few posts online where people had warped their blockers from doing this and I just want to know the process and not ruin my gear.

I also need to clean my glove, chest, pants. I'm not sure about my pads as they're the old school type and I think they'll get ruined. I'm also looked into ozone but found it can break down your materials so to avoid.

I am by no means an expert, but what I have done in the past is that fortunately my CCM blocker had a zipper along the top where I could take the foam out (the zipper mechanism part is small and recessed that I needed a very thin needle nose plier to get at it).

I then made a simple bath using Lysol's product, but I imagine Oxyclean does similar things. I placed a weight in the blocker to keep it submerged and left it there over night, and then rinsed it until the water ran clear. Then placed it on a boot cleaner for about a day's worth of time. 

For the glove, I did the same thing as the blocker, and then while it was wet, I used hot water to break it in some more while I was at it.

Chest and pants, I placed it in a no-spin cycle with the Lysol's laundry additive, air-dried it afterwards hanging (making sure all the velcros were strapped).

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

What you can also do is make an oxiclean paste- just put a bit of oxiclean in a cup and mix in some water- not too much water as you want it to be a little thick.  Then use a toothbrush and scrub the liners in your glove/blocker.  I did this, plus let them soak in an oxi bath for a half hour or so.  Drain, refill with water, drain, then rinse for a bit until the water runoff is clear.  

I then hung them and ran a fan on them for the next ~3 days or so.  

C/A and pants same thing.  Not sure about pads, personally I wouldn't mess with soaking my pads in a bath.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johncho said:

I am by no means an expert, but what I have done in the past is that fortunately my CCM blocker had a zipper along the top where I could take the foam out (the zipper mechanism part is small and recessed that I needed a very thin needle nose plier to get at it).

I then made a simple bath using Lysol's product, but I imagine Oxyclean does similar things. I placed a weight in the blocker to keep it submerged and left it there over night, and then rinsed it until the water ran clear. Then placed it on a boot cleaner for about a day's worth of time. 

For the glove, I did the same thing as the blocker, and then while it was wet, I used hot water to break it in some more while I was at it.

Chest and pants, I placed it in a no-spin cycle with the Lysol's laundry additive, air-dried it afterwards hanging (making sure all the velcros were strapped).

I have a CCM blocker too, love the large size for coverage. :) For the foam I would just leave it out and not clean it I assume? I wouldn't want that to deform. plus my main concern is the palm anyhow.

2 hours ago, jerd31 said:

What you can also do is make an oxiclean paste- just put a bit of oxiclean in a cup and mix in some water- not too much water as you want it to be a little thick.  Then use a toothbrush and scrub the liners in your glove/blocker.  I did this, plus let them soak in an oxi bath for a half hour or so.  Drain, refill with water, drain, then rinse for a bit until the water runoff is clear.  

I then hung them and ran a fan on them for the next ~3 days or so.  

C/A and pants same thing.  Not sure about pads, personally I wouldn't mess with soaking my pads in a bath.

Thanks! Yea, with the pads I think I'll just keep spraying them as usual. I don't want to risk submerging them in water. Thanks for the tips!

2 hours ago, booqueefius said:

I oxyclean my gear every year (what a poem), and I'd recommend fully submerging your chest protector, jock, knee guars, and pants, and have some sort of way to rest the gloves and pads at the waterline (I do a different cycle and barely fill the tub)

Thank you! I intend on doing this yearly as well, I just have some older gear I need to clean and didn't want to risk ruining my stuff with ozone so thought to ask about oxyclean baths.

So for the blocker I took out the three pieces of foam padding, and for the glove I really cannot because I need to remove all the lacing which I wont do so I'll have at it soon! The pants are done, which worked really good. Now the chest protector is on round 3 due to brown water still... 🤣 Oxyclean bath is working good, I just rinse after and squeeze as much water as possible out then off to the drying rack with the big fan. I then sprayed some "CAPTODOR ODOUR DESTROYER" as a final touch.

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie
  • Like 1