transition from stance to post

just a little bit of background, i'm 5'3 115 lbs, and 14 y/o. I'm starting to have trouble getting against the post this year because  RVH feels really awkward to do when coming out of my stance and i feel like it opens me up but when i use VH I've had shots go through my skate and the post and i feel really awkward and unstable when i put my stick there. some of this is probably due to my RVH (i tuck my boot inside of the post) but just wondering if anybody has any ideas that would help.

Your stick should be covering the 5hole/vertical leg skate area anyways in the VH. VH has always felt like a very awkward position for me, it's why I've always used the RVH.

Though, just to be clear, are you saying that you're having issues from standing on the post and going into the RVH with an oncoming threat?

45 minutes ago, #16 said:

no, i meant from like my crouch when I'm facing a shooter coming down closeish to the sideboards and then dropping to the ice when he gets closer to the goal line.

There's your problem. I struggled with that for a while recently too. You're basically skipping a useful position which is the overlap. 

Essentially stay in your stance and follow the shooter a little further than you currently think. Your post side foot is outside the actual post and you still have a bit of room between you and the net. You can hold that and use a normal butterfly to cover pretty much the whole net from that angle. 

When they get down to the actual goal line (or just before, still figuring this part out a little) is when you can go to a post hug, then RVH if he's wrapping around or coming out in tight

There's your problem. I struggled with that for a while recently too. You're basically skipping a useful position which is the overlap. 

Essentially stay in your stance and follow the shooter a little further than you currently think. Your post side foot is outside the actual post and you still have a bit of room between you and the net. You can hold that and use a normal butterfly to cover pretty much the whole net from that angle. 

When they get down to the actual goal line (or just before, still figuring this part out a little) is when you can go to a post hug, then RVH if he's wrapping around or coming out in tight

thanks! i will try this out next time play

Archived