What Stick should I buy?

Peter36

I am currently using a Bauer S190 23" stick. 

I'm about 5'3", and am starting to grow. I'm looking at Bauer 2S (non-pro) and CCM EFLEX 4.

So Bauer comes in 23", and then the next step up is 25". I think the 25" is still too big for me, but I saw that CCM has a 24" stick.

What advantages do each stick offer? I like my S190s, so are they somewhat similar to EFLEX 4? Are there other sticks I should be looking into, and if so, what size?

Paddle height is a funny thing. I'm 6'1"ish off-ice, stand pretty tall in my cowling-less skates, and use a 25" paddle (Warrior CR2). My buddy, who's about 5'4", also uses a 25" paddle (Bauer Vapors, mostly). I found the 26" paddles forced my blocker up too high when I set myself for a shot.

If you're unsure what paddle height you should go with, I would pick up a couple different sizes of last year's models while they're on clearance. Play a few times with each and see what you like.

Even if the 25" feels a bit too big right now, you'll probably grow into them soon enough, so picking one up while they're cheap isn't a bad idea.

Goalie_Stick_Paddle_Length_-_Pro_stock_f

That's in blog post from 2016, so take that for what you will, but it says that CCM's are made 2.25 inches longer than a "true" measurement.

TG_True_Paddle_Measurement_Diagram.jpg

The paddle length stamped on your S190 should be a true measurement.

If CCM is still making their sticks long, a 24" CCM will have a longer paddle than a 25" Bauer. I've only ever used Warriors, so I can't help you there.

Is there a store near you that carries paddles, that you could go into and compare?

5 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

The paddle length stamped on your S190 should be a true measure 

Is there a store near you that carries paddles, that you could go into and compare?

Depends on the curve p31 will be an inch or two taller. My 23" 1s is around 25" iirc

The second part is the best advice go to the store to determine proper sizing and what stick you prefer.

@Peter36 if you like the s190 the 2s will be the most familiar for you because of bauers paddle shape. However, I'm sure the ccm would be a good stick, never used one myself though

Archived