True 1 piece skates

After speaking to a very informative True rep last weekend at Tendyfest I decided to take a bit of a plunge and order up a set of 1 piece skates. 

I've got a number of reasons for going with the one piece, and after speaking with Jesse at the Surrey Hockey Shop, I think I'll be happy with them. They did the scanning and did a great job answering all my questions. 

My previous skates were Bauer S170, which I'd added the LS5 black blades to. I'd imagine these will be fairly different. I was told 3-4 weeks. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:08 PM, Flyers27 said:

After speaking to a very informative True rep last weekend at Tendyfest I decided to take a bit of a plunge and order up a set of 1 piece skates. 

I've got a number of reasons for going with the one piece, and after speaking with Jesse at the Surrey Hockey Shop, I think I'll be happy with them. They did the scanning and did a great job answering all my questions. 

My previous skates were Bauer S170, which I'd added the LS5 black blades to. I'd imagine these will be fairly different. I was told 3-4 weeks. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Did you get the additional toe protection? And did they say to bake them a certain way

I didn't order additional toe protection. We spoke about it and they hadn't heard anything negative about the stock option, so I kept it that way.

We didn't discuss the baking process as it will be done by the store when I pick them up. I can ask if there is anything unusual that needs to be done when I get them.

2 hours ago, Flyers27 said:

I didn't order additional toe protection. We spoke about it and they hadn't heard anything negative about the stock option, so I kept it that way.

We didn't discuss the baking process as it will be done by the store when I pick them up. I can ask if there is anything unusual that needs to be done when I get them.

ya I would like to hear what they have to say about the baking. thanks!

@Jonathon v my local rep baked them at the store once. Process went like this:

Baked for 5 mins or so

Had me sit down and put the skates on

stood up to make sure my heels were locked in the back of the boot

Sat back down and kept very slight forward ankle lean while he laced them up

He laced with very slight tension and was specific about pulling outwards not up when lacing while baked! Puts less stress on eyelets.

Once both we’re laced like that I just sat with slight ankle lean for 10 mins or so

Never rebaked after that and the fit is incredible. So locked in. You’ll love them 

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

@Jonathon v my local rep baked them at the store once. Process went like this:

Baked for 5 mins or so

Had me sit down and put the skates on

stood up to make sure my heels were locked in the back of the boot

Sat back down and kept very slight forward ankle lean while he laced them up

He laced with very slight tension and was specific about pulling outwards not up when lacing while baked! Puts less stress on eyelets.

Once both we’re laced like that I just sat with slight ankle lean for 10 mins or so

Never rebaked after that and the fit is incredible. So locked in. You’ll love them 

Alright thanks

• 1 month later...

These arrived to THS in Surrey on July 18. The wait time from ordering was 1 day shy of 7 weeks. 

They were baked in store and placed on my feet to get the ankle locked in (as mentioned above). They were very careful to pull the laces straight out and only laced half way up, using plastic wrap around the top half to avoid strain on the eyelets. The fit was amazing. I got them to do a 7/16 sharpen, coming from a 1/2 on a 3mm blade. 

I had a game the night I picked them up, but they recommend the skates sit 24-48 house before use, so I haven't used them yet, but walking in the house, they feel great. I'm looking forward to using them this week.

IMG_20190719_154946.jpg

IMG_20190719_105557.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 2:56 PM, Flyers27 said:

These arrived to THS in Surrey on July 18. The wait time from ordering was 1 day shy of 7 weeks. 

They were baked in store and placed on my feet to get the ankle locked in (as mentioned above). They were very careful to pull the laces straight out and only laced half way up, using plastic wrap around the top half to avoid strain on the eyelets. The fit was amazing. I got them to do a 7/16 sharpen, coming from a 1/2 on a 3mm blade. 

I had a game the night I picked them up, but they recommend the skates sit 24-48 house before use, so I haven't used them yet, but walking in the house, they feel great. I'm looking forward to using them this week.

IMG_20190719_154946.jpg

IMG_20190719_105557.jpg

Those look awesome. It’s a shame they took almost twice as long as the expected wait 

edit: those laces look ridiculously long am I correct 😂 

5 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Those look awesome. It’s a shame they took almost twice as long as the expected wait 

edit: those laces look ridiculously long am I correct 😂 

The wait was a little long, however, I managed to injure my knee the day after ordering them, so I was off the ice anyway.

The laces fit fine, they probably just look long bunched up on the front half of the skate.

Archived