Help with pad forward tilt (under rotation)

redrook

So for this season (mid 2018) I bought my first ever brand new set of pads (CCM Eflex 2) in a 34+3. I figured since I was coming from a set of 36+2 V3s there wouldn't be much difference, although the CCMs are slightly taller. That much thigh rise is certainly different! Would close the 5-hole nicely though except...

....I'm struggling to get them to close properly, and they seem to twist when I drop down (see pic, pad on ground is twisting, this happens whenever I am dropped, not just in this situation, although it is exaggerated in the pic due to me leaning). This twisting is creating that "under rotation" look, with a V-shaped gap at 5-hole. I can't really figure out why this is happening. I do my top strap really loose, I don't have any straps which are at or above my knee, and have really loose toe ties. Wondering if it's the shorts. I recently switched to less bulky knee pads, but no change. I'm thinking I might try no toe strap, and just a boot strap to keep the pads attached to the skates.

I've read Law's lengthy post on pad over/under rotation but am none the wiser - http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/68267-the-myth-of-pad-rotation-jargon-fallacy-confusion-and-the-real-issue-of-mechanical-interference/

48976795_783792625291481_6101088592581361664_o.jpg

29 minutes ago, redrook said:

So for this season (mid 2018) I bought my first ever brand new set of pads (CCM Eflex 2) in a 34+3. I figured since I was coming from a set of 36+2 V3s there wouldn't be much difference, although the CCMs are slightly taller. That much thigh rise is certainly different! Would close the 5-hole nicely though except...

....I'm struggling to get them to close properly, and they seem to twist when I drop down (see pic, pad on ground is twisting, this happens whenever I am dropped, not just in this situation, although it is exaggerated in the pic due to me leaning). This twisting is creating that "under rotation" look, with a V-shaped gap at 5-hole. I can't really figure out why this is happening. I do my top strap really loose, I don't have any straps which are at or above my knee, and have really loose toe ties. Wondering if it's the shorts. I recently switched to less bulky knee pads, but no change. I'm thinking I might try no toe strap, and just a boot strap to keep the pads attached to the skates.

I've read Law's lengthy post on pad over/under rotation but am none the wiser - http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/topic/68267-the-myth-of-pad-rotation-jargon-fallacy-confusion-and-the-real-issue-of-mechanical-interference/

48976795_783792625291481_6101088592581361664_o.jpg

Ditch your boot and add an elastic toe strap such as Pro Laces. With modern pads boot straps serve no purpose and if you look at the famous "price strapping" that nearly every company uses, it's not needed.  Any Elastic straps on the pad (knee and calf) should be sung but not over tight.  

The other route would be to add an after market professor strap to the leg channel.  Outside of a toe strap every other strap can be very loose.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, cwarnar said:

Ditch your boot and add an elastic toe strap such as Pro Laces. With modern pads boot straps serve no purpose and if you look at the famous "price strapping" that nearly every company uses, it's not needed.  Any Elastic straps on the pad (knee and calf) should be sung but not over tight.  

The other route would be to add an after market professor strap to the leg channel.  Outside of a toe strap every other strap can be very loose.

I find that without a boot strap the pad rides up, I've moved it to the middle of my boot so my foot can rotate without affecting the pad. I'm thinking the issue is around the knee area.

However I will try what you've suggested, thanks!

On 6/20/2019 at 3:31 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Hey Bud,

Any chance you can take a picture of your strapping or a carpet fly? It'll be easier for us to see what the issue is and potentially help.

Thanks coopa, I'll get a pic of my strapping up asap. I tried no toe strap and a centered boot strap last night and still doing it.

Archived