Vaughn SLR2 - Youth

waystick

Fellas, 

My son uses a Vaughn SLR 2 Youth set (pads, blocker, glove).  He’s had them since last summer.  The pads and blocker are great, he loves them.  The glove, however, he can’t close, even after almost a year. Its causing trouble with his game, the puck often bounces out.

I’ve had it heated at the store a couple of times.  I’ve sat up watching hockey opening and closing (probably 10,000+ times, no joke!) but still its not closing easily.  Put a puck in a tied it up for weeks. I’ve not done the hot water procedure.

Any thoughts on what I might do next (besides the hot water)?  

Also, any thoughts on gloves for youth?  Options?  It might be time to abandon the glove and look at something else.

Thanks to all who reply!  We appreciate the help!

8 minutes ago, waystick said:

Fellas, 

My son uses a Vaughn SLR 2 Youth set (pads, blocker, glove).  He’s had them since last summer.  The pads and blocker are great, he loves them.  The glove, however, he can’t close, even after almost a year. Its causing trouble with his game, the puck often bounces out.

I’ve had it heated at the store a couple of times.  I’ve sat up watching hockey opening and closing (probably 10,000+ times, no joke!) but still its not closing easily.  Put a puck in a tied it up for weeks. I’ve not done the hot water procedure.

Also, any thoughts on gloves for youth?  Options?  It might be time to abandon the glove and look at something else.

I used to have a problem like this when I would get a new glove. Honestly just get one of those tools to help strengthen his grip. It will make it easier for him to close the glove, and he will benefit from it in general.

Edit: I'm by no means taking shots at anyone, I'm just trying to give advice based off of my experiences. 

18 minutes ago, waystick said:

Fellas, 

My son had a similar problem. He is 9 and had a hard time closing almost all of the junior gloves. We ended up buying a junior Warrior g4 glove and blocker and he loves them. It was the only junior glove he could partially close himself right off the shelf. Now that it is broken is he has 100% closure. 

Before abandoning the glove, play around with the hand position inside the glove.  It's possible he isn't getting hand inside far enough to have strength to close it.  If needed look at loosening the thumb loop and see if he can find a more comfortable position in which he can close it.

Also try heating the glove a bit with a blow dryer or in front of a heater just to see even with the glove warm he has any problems closing it.  If he can't close it warm or with change of hand position then it may be time to change gloves and search for one with easier closure. 

It may be a characteristic of the line.  My Vision 9580 which to me the SLR line came from is very stiff even after 5 years when I first put it on.  Usually by the time I take first pucks in warm up some heat has been transferred into it and it's loosened up.  I also would sometimes wet my hand a touch before putting it on to soften it up as well.   My new VE8 glove closes perfect the second I put it on.

Archived