bauer vs true custom skates

currently I have the first generation custom true 2 piece skates and I've had them for almost 3 years now and I love them but after not skating for 6 months because of Ontario covid regulations they feel a bit smaller then I remember and since I've had them for 3 years I'm due for a new pair. I've came down to ether the new 2 piece true skates or some Bauer custom skates I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I should get and what the pros and cons are for both of them. thanks 

Honestly it's what you want and what is going to give you the best custom fit. Also price wise too, it's how much do you want to spend. There is thread or two on here that shows True have some really bad quality control issues in fhe last while, also I believe unless you order only the boots all the steel on True goalie skates is there own line as Step Steel was bought out by CCM. So steel might be issue to find for while. I picked a pair of pro return True Skates,  (that are now for sale) and I did like the looks and finish on them but I found the boots didn't work for me. I couldn't get the right fit with them and even after molding them found the boot opening too narrow. 

Now Bauer custom, I have been using them for the passed 8 years and I found back then up until a while ago there was plenty of options for them through the custom program and there wasn't a upcharge with the options you wanted, where as True there is an upcharge on alot of stuff.   I have seen in the 2021 custom catalog Bauer seems to limit what you can get but I have read online the full custom program instore seems to have more options for you. I have attached the pages from the custom catalog with rhe skate info in them and this seems very simple but I have heard there are more options. I just picked up a pair of pro return Jake Ottengier custom Ultrasonics which would be the 6th pair custom Bauer goalie skates I have had, 2 pairs I had custom made for me. I find Bauer custom skates are alot nicer looking too, there isn't any messy seems or glue showing.

So alot comes down to personal preference, must advice is go to store thwt offers both custom brands and see what they say and what you come up with.

20210716_141604.jpg

20210716_141608.jpg

20210717_103158.jpg

20210717_103206.jpg

thanks a lot for the advice it really helps, but I got a question, I'm not sure if its just a glitch on the true website but now that they came out with there new TF9 custom skates they raised the price by a few hundred dollars which I somewhat understand  but im confused because when you go to select different custom options it says there free except for the custom steel so that might be a deciding factor and If I were to buy trues I would most defiantly change the holders out for the Bauers because I go through steel like nothing and the true blades are super expensive and take months to get to where I live, thanks again

1 hour ago, Gunner Paradis said:

thanks a lot for the advice it really helps, but I got a question, I'm not sure if its just a glitch on the true website but now that they came out with there new TF9 custom skates they raised the price by a few hundred dollars which I somewhat understand  but im confused because when you go to select different custom options it says there free except for the custom steel so that might be a deciding factor and If I were to buy trues I would most defiantly change the holders out for the Bauers because I go through steel like nothing and the true blades are super expensive and take months to get to where I live, thanks again

I did see the prices go up like you said online, Trues website and others. If your going to change the holders out to Bauer, you mine as well just go with custom Bauer and save yourself the added extra cost of switching them out after. Your pretty much adding another $250 to $300 on top of the Trues to do that.

Here are some of my custom made Bauers. The all black NXG where my second custom set built for me, one of my favorite pairs I have. The 1st was all black Bauer Pros ( orange trim ones). I had 2 pairs of the Pros. One pair built for me and one bought as a back up used from the Qmjhl goalie. The Ultrasonics are my newest pair I just bought last night. 

20200610_091214.jpg

e3e12901eacf99a1_small.jpeg

20181230_161632.thumb.jpg.100b7c97d47355972c2fea0f3065b750.jpg

Edited by Snowman30